Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor

There are 8 acceptances and 2-3 waitlisted in the results search--most of which appear legit. You might want to search comp lit though, because I just searched "english." So I'm guessing people have heard, but I for one have gotten absolutely no notification. Michigan is driving me up the walls, because they're more or less the wild card of my remaining apps. I'm thinking it could go either way with them, but seeing as people were getting phone calls last week and the week before makes me think I'm shit outta luck here. If I can make it to the waitlist at Michigan, I'll still freak, but it would be at least somewhat reassuring news.

Perhaps someone who was accepted has some more substantial info? Anyone know if they've made all their acceptances?

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but I'm guessing--just guessing--that the English department is done notifying both accepted and waitlisted students. The university is on spring break through Friday, and it seems like phone calls and e-mails went out before break began. The one waitlist notification that was done by e-mail sounds completely legit, and I think it's a program that prefers electronic initial communication to snail mail notification.

Comp Lit is, institutionally, entirely independent of the English department. It would not at all surprise me if they were on different notification timelines. I wouldn't necessarily expect to hear anything this week because of the break (though some staff is still around), but maybe next week? Good luck!

Yeah, I figured as much. I was just hoping for my 'wild card' with them, but looks like I can forget about grad school next year unless some miracle happens.

What I don't get, however, is why the fuck haven't people been notified of rejections if the decisions have all been made? That's really insulting, if you ask me, and once more ties this whole process up in some secretive, anxiety-inducing roulette game. Ridiculous. Well, suppose I can start looking for my restaurant job for next year...

Took them long enough. I don't get why they couldn't notify us rejects promptly? I mean, I think schools could look to the example of Princeton. I heard (by email. . . my preferred method for sure) that I didn't get accepted within a couple days of admits and waitlist notification. Sigh. This application cycle basically sucks for me. Hope it is better for all of you!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm STILL waiting to hear from Michigan. I know they've made their decisions--evidently, all letters have been sent. Yet I'm still left hanging with them. I was just wondering, from those who have a better sense of this process than I do, is there any possibility that I've been waitlisted and not notified--or that they're holding on to my application until they hear more from those they've accepted/waitlisted? I'm on Spring Break this week, so I figure if I don't know anything when I get back to campus next weekend, I'll just go ahead and contact the program. I'm just really confused with Michigan, because it makes no sense for me to have heard nothing in any direction, seeing as acceptances/waitlists/rejections have all gone out. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up in any case.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone here attend the University of Michigan's visiting weekend? And, if so, would you be willing to share notes and thoughts? I visited a few weeks ago, but I'd love to hear your impressions and to hear how the department and the students presented themselves. Feel free to PM me or to comment here. Thanks so much!