Purdue 2009

wantaphd

I got in for Mechanical Engineering, but I applied to the largest list of schools known to man so I am waiting to hear about funding everywhere. Purdue is right down the road from Illinois, so I will probably go visit soon.

• 2 weeks later...

STAR- Summer Transition, Advising, and Registration

If you log into myPurdue you can find more info about it. You basically sign up to visit campus to register for classes and get your ID card. At this point, I don't think grad students are required to do it.

@ande

I got an offer for Math Ph.D From purdue a few weeks ago and it came along with a TA offer. I have heard similar things from the chem department.

@wantaphd

I'm probably going there this fall (still waiting on Michigan...). have you spotted a place yet? I'd rather not live in grad housing I've heard nasty things.

Also... how do I ask if they would pay for me to visit?

Hi pro,

I haven't. I actually cancelled my upcoming visit and plan to go a little later in the spring. I've been perusing the apartment ads on craigslist to get an idea about housing costs; I've heard from a couple of grad students that I definitely don't want to live in graduate housing. On the other hand, I'm not that keen on moving a three-bedroom house full of stuff to Indiana from Georgia right now either!

I haven't decided what to do, but I think I may go ahead and apply for grad housing just in case I can't find a suitable apartment or small house before we get our first financial aid/paychecks.

wanta

Greetings all to newcomers to Purdue! I will be attending for an MA in English, but as I'm currently a senior undergrad at Purdue it will not be a big shift for me. I'm happy to answer any questions about the campus/town/horrible weather.

Simply out of curiosity, is anyone planning to spend the summer on/near campus? I think some programs have summer internships before class actually begins in the fall, but I'm not sure...

Did any of you had any problem with the admission office through the application time? I feel I was mistreated by their arrogant responses to my emails. Anyway, I will not attend to Purdue :(

Hi becstar32,

I found out the other day that I had also been awarded the fellowship. So when do you plan to move to West Lafayette? I'm also interested in meeting new people, and I don't know anyone there either!

Hi becstar32,

I found out the other day that I had also been awarded the fellowship. So when do you plan to move to West Lafayette? I'm also interested in meeting new people, and I don't know anyone there either!

I am moving there in august...visiting in may to look at places, but am having trouble finding places over the internet (i live >12hrs away).

Congrats on the fellowship!

Becstar32,

I'm feeling you. I decided to go with graduate housing (Purdue Village) for my first year. I'm moving from Washington State and just can't afford to make the trip just to look at apartments. I plan to move next spring when I know the area a little better. I've never had a roommate, so I hope things work out. Either way, I know it will only be temporary so I'll just have to suck it up!

And thanks! Congrats to you too!

Becstar,

Good question! I think my report date is August 18th, although since I won't be working (TAing) I don't know if that still applies to me or not. I know the convocation thingy for all new grad students is the 21st. But my department hasn't said anything their own orientation yet, although I'm pretty sure that info will be forthcoming.

I will also be attending Purdue in the fall--I'll probably move down with my husband in early August. The task of finding an apt. is daunting, and I don't know if I'll be able to visit before then.

I believe our graduate orientation is on the 21st--hope to see y'all there :D

hi! i'm going to be in the philosophy & literature program. moving from abroad at the beginning of august. (and very likely looking to fill half a cheap apartment near downtown i've just about secured, for anyone who's looking!) i'd also love to meet/exchange messages with folks who are coming to purdue in 09 in whatever subject :) assuming all goes well with visas etc, i'll be there from august 1st. best wishes to everyone!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use