Maybe this will keep folks amused. Help a newbie out.

imokyoureadrone

In two years, I'll be in your shoes, and I'm watching this with a pretty great amount of anticipation. I am getting my bachelor's degree after a 7 year stint in the real world, and would like to go directly to a Ph.D. program in C&I or LL&C after graduation. Here's the problem: I know which programs are highly ranked, but I don't know if my scores/grades/et cetera will be enough to get me into those highly ranked programs.

Here's what I'm looking at graduating with:

3.5 GPA (this should be sustained until the end of my B.A. for sure -- the next 2 years of classes are regarded as the easy ones in my program, which is ugly but true)

GRE of 780 verbal 750 quant, should also have a Miller Analogies Test result of comparable goodness by that point

A writing sample I think will be pretty good, and potentially one or more papers published in undergrad journals

Active work in research with a couple of profs on campus, in both the English and education departments, both of whom will likely write stellar recs

Worked in the campus writing center for most of undergrad life

I know these are good enough stats to get in SOMEWHERE, so that's not the question. I am just wondering whether this is good enough to apply to the big leagues --  or if I should stick to lower-ranked schools. The GPA is certainly not stellar, and there are a couple of really crappy grades on it (C- in one course, a C in another, both well outside my major, one was a lab science).

Any input? What can I do to make myself a better candidate for grad school? I have two years to work on this for a great admit. Right now my top choice is probably WashU, but I'd also have a soft spot for UIC, even though it's a lower-ranked school, if I could work with Bill Ayers. Any help on making myself a better candidate, for both admissions and funding, would be fantastic. What do you wish you'd done differently? What worked well for you and seemed to make a great impression on admissions folks?

One thing I couldn't really chance that I think may have helped me w/the big private Unis was going to a better undergrad institution.

The thing I could have changed was making more contact ahead of time with POIs.

The thing you can do to definitely help you will be getting publications.

You have a great background, and programs love people with real world experience - I think it'll make up for any problem you think you might have with your GPA. Just like I would say to any applicant to PhD programs, applying to a bunch of places, and making connections at the places you care about (it sounds like you really like WashU, which is a great school) is key. You have a few years to go, which is a nice amount of time to cultivate those relationships. I think you'll have a great chance, especially when you're planning so far in advance.

Your SOP is not a biography. What do wish to study, why, and what from your past has led you here? Avoid cliche generalizations and flowery statements about education. Show the ad coms your analytical prowess, insightfulness, and creativity. Why should they pick you over all the other qualified candidates? Make yourself stand out. Let them get a sense of your personality, but don't be too offbeat or go off on anecdotes that have nothing to do with your potential as a scholar. Mention faculty with whom you wish to work. Be firm, direct, confident but not arrogant, and be genuine. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear, but what you actually want to say.

Your GRE scores are very good. Unless there's a specific reason, don't spend the extra time and money on the Millers Analogy Test.

With two years left, can you bring up your GPA? A 3.5 won't get you thrown out anywhere, but higher never hurt anyone either :D You have plenty of time left, and ad coms give weight to a steady improvement in the last two years especially. Also, if the classes in your program are "easy," is there a way for you to take more challenging courses in addition to or instead of the "easy" courses? Try to plan the most rigourous program possible (that interest you and in which you can get As/A-s :D ). While great GREs are wonderful, your transcript shows your ability over a long term period and will be given the greater consideration.

What did you do before you returned to school? Was it education related or something else? The working at the writing center, published papers, and research with profs on campus will give you a major boost, but you also want to have something not overtly associated with education and English (yet can be related to/enhance your schoarly pursuits). You want the "standard" qualifications, but you want to be a little unconventional too. Again, this is about standing out, showing the ad coms you bring more to their school than what every other education applicant (with the same typical qualifications) brings--what special experiences, knowledge, and skills will aid in your research?

E-mail anyone you're really interested in working with. It's good to make sure your research interests are still aligned with theirs (their Web page might not be updated to relect their current projects or provide enough details on their work--and even if the Web page does, e-mailing is still a good idea) as well as get a sense of what they think of your research ideas. E-mailing will also save you application time and money. Depending on their response and your subsequent conversations, you will know whether to apply or not.

Your application should convey to the ad coms that you applied to their school because the work going on there excites you, and you feel that you can add to it as well contribute original research of your own. Take the time to choose faculty and programs that really fit with your interests; don't create "interests" because you want to go to grad school and/or because of a big name. In my own experience and from other people I know, fit and passion for a program can be crucial factors.

Unfortunately, the last 2 years of the education program are absolutely set in stone here with no room for deviation or taking additional classes (because of the number of out-of-state practicums we do).

Thank you so much for the advice on the SOP -- I'm going to go nuts when it comes time to write it, I know, and I'm hoping I don't totally blow it.

Before I came back to school, I was a journalist: first a reporter, then a news editor, then an opinion editor/editorial writer. I loved those jobs, the last one in particular, but I felt I was preaching to the choir too much as an editorial writer.

In other "not related to English/education directly" ventures, this summer I've got a university grant to basically write a local foods cookbook and travelogue. That's English-y, but not in terms of literary studies, certainly. And the recipes are going to be delicious! It's not the sort of thing I figured would "go" with my application materials or anything, though. Am I wrong to think that?

I'm also hoping like crazy that my undergrad institution doesn't sink me -- it's a public liberal arts college, and while it's not super selective or anything, we do have tons of opportunities for undergrad research (which is why I'm here). I am hoping that not going to giant state school and deciding to stay here at the lib arts school isn't going to look ridiculously unambitious to adcoms.

Your undergrad is NOT going to sink you. It's what you do there that matters. I myself went to a liberal arts college and I managed to be accepted into top schools. Plus, my undergrad was in Classics and now I research East Asia's role in the Social Studies curricula. My statement plus my "real world" experience made all the difference. Yours will too. You really are on top of things.

Your undergrad is NOT going to sink you. It's what you do there that matters.

Not necessarily true, but it sounds like yours is fine. Didn't mean to scare you w/my comment about undergrad. My school was the kind that probably no one else (or only a handful) here on gradcafe went to: a local public commuter college w/practically nil opportunity for research (not that I would have done any anyway, as I rushed out of there in two years w/my ed degree).

I reiterate what the others on here have said: getting your head in the game this early is a great indicator for how you will do! :)