Advice on Mid-life Grad School for Career Change

OldBifocalGuy

I'm new to this forum and looking for advice, insight and opinions from those who may have already done what I'm contemplating: going to grad school (Masters/PhD/MD/DVM) in order to make an major career change while having a family with working spouse and children. I've been working (successfully) for 20 years and hold a masters now, but my field has lost much of its interest for me over time. I'm thus considering switching gears pretty dramatically and entering a field that is technical and/or "hard" science oriented (I'm a social scientist now). Most of the fields in which I'm interested would require at least a few years of additional education/training. Your thoughts and insights are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there!

I think it's always fantastic to see someone go back to school and have the passion for learning and change. I think professional who return to school have a real advantage in some areas - such as time management, organization, presenting, even writing concisely. I am sure you know that working a regular job can be a lot different than the demands of graduate school. So I think anyone's first step towards this choice, is to ask themselves some questions and really contemplate about where they want to go.

For some, graduate works or doesn't work because of it's structure, time commitment, dedications, and the sacrifices that come with it. Having done your Masters, I am sure you know what grad school is like...however, if you're thinking of going into a PhD, you should know that it's a lot different than a Masters. It's a 4-5 year commitment, and will require a lot of time, hard work, tears, and sanity! :) [but totally worth it!]. On top of that (and not to be rude), because you've been our of the academic scene for a bit and are also (as it sounds), thinking of changing backgrounds, you will probably have to put in above normal work to teach yourself (or take extra courses) the current theories, methods, background, etc. of the discipline you're currently in or switch too.

I think the biggest questions you should ask yourself is this- what don't I like about my current career? What do I want to change about it? What would a Master's do for this change, and where would it take me after I graduate? What would a PhD do for my career, and where would it take me after I graduate? What type of job do you want and in what setting? I would say for most programs/disciplines, Masters and PhD take you on different paths....Masters will get you in and out quicker, you'll be able to apply to a wide range of jobs that are more 'applied' but also research positions....A PhD will sometimes, depending on the field, limit your potential opportunities. PhDs are normally research focused, and will take you into a research driven career. Depending on your background - I come from Health Sciences/Social Sciences- you can get policy, government, NGO, private and academic jobs with both Masters and PhD...but for some PhDs within their field, they are limited to primarily academic and/or private jobs.

I would sit down and look at the jobs/careers you are interested in and talk to people. Ask them how they got to where they are, thinking about the area of work you're interested in and where the future of that area will be once you've graduated. Knowing your opportunities post-degree will help you focus your desire/goals, and will leave you in a good spot after you're done!

Good luck! It sounds like this is an exciting time for you! :)

There are several "Mid-Life" grad schoolers in my program right now, and we all love them and support them in every way we can. However, as it is for everyone else, the decision to start grad school shouldn't be taken lightly and now there is the added stress of adding in your family. Best of luck with your decision!

I am doing something similar now, but instead of changing careers, I am trying to start a career after staying home with kids. It's a lot of work, and quite stressful at times, but I am very happy to be doing it.

I am doing something similar now, but instead of changing careers, I am trying to start a career after staying home with kids. It's a lot of work, and quite stressful at times, but I am very happy to be doing it.

Same here!

OP, ask yourself all the questions Dal posed, and more. I have an extremely supportive spouse and I couldn't do it without him. I'm doing this for us, not me. With all the time and energy it will take, it has to be a "we" thing, not a "me" thing. Make sure your wife is on board.