Masters in Middle Eastern Studies -My Chances (SAIS, UT Austin, Georgetown, Harvard)

riverguide

I would welcome any advice on the best Middle East Studies graduate programs and on the competitiveness of my profile. I am currently considering SAIS, Georgetown, UT Austin and Harvard programs. I am interested in their Middle Eastern studies graduate programs with a contempory ME perspective. My career goal is to work for the Federal Government. I'm taking an intense GRE prep course in DC now. My existing stats are:

University of Kentucky International Relations (MENA concentration)/Arabic Languages double major with an Islamic Studies minor (3.82 GPA)

Boren Scholar in the Middle East;

Islamic Scholar in my program with Scholarship;

Two years abroad in the ME at Middlebury Alexandria, AMIDEAST Cairo, AUB, Saifi (Beirut/Urban Arabic), Yarmouk/CET (Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan);

Two summer sessions at The London School of Economics;

Middlebury College 8 week Summer Intensive Arabic Program at Mills;

Paid staffer for US Senator (DC) (Harvard grad who will write my LOR) in the summer (Intern coordinator and Military/Foreign Affairs);

OPI Advanced in Arabic (Egyptian Arabic, Lebanese Arabic, Jordanian Arabic, Urban Arabic, MSA);

University Academic Excellence Award in French.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Edited by riverguide

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At this stage, it's speculative. The best is to apply to as many programs as possible; imagine that you would actually be interested and able to attend if admitted

Then you can hopefully choose among the best program.

Well, I only applied to four programs. I was accepted to Harvard, today. I am hopeful that I get the FLAS -but there's some tough competition. I am just honored to be among the applicants.

Edited by riverguide

• 3 weeks later...