MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

So here I go. It took 25 years to get from the US Army, (the reason I joined was to get money for school)to now, a senior looking for a grad school to finish my education in fine art (painting). I am in Illinois and have a family, so I am going to look at UW Madison, Northwestern, UIC, and maybe University of Chicago. Any help would be great.

congrats!! 

I heard Northwestern is more theory-heavy program, which is something you should consider. I visited U of Chicago, I really liked the school, their facility was not exactly huge or anything, but I guess if you're a painting major, facility might not be that important. You should go to the school website and look at the current MFA student works and faculty works. that's how I'm making my list of schools:)

SAIC is really great school, but I think they only give out one or two full scholarships per department, but if you do get it, SAIC is really great. I really learned a lot while I was in the school, and their painting dept is amazing

and Columbus college of art and design are also great if you live near Chicago, they do have MFA programs. 

If you live in IL, I think you should definitely visit the schools. You can make an appointment through email, they will give you a tour of the department,(U of Chicago did!) and you can ask all the questions. 

Edited by arte