MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

MFA Painting here, I have been looking into

Glasgow School of Art

Slade School of Fine Art

New York Academy of Art

are a few that I have looked at.

I am really at a loss for Figurative art programs though, if anyone has any light to shed on the subject I would be extremely grateful, I have looked over the major schools and haven't really found a strong out pouring of figurative painters.

I am really at a loss for Figurative art programs though, if anyone has any light to shed on the subject I would be extremely grateful, I have looked over the major schools and haven't really found a strong out pouring of figurative painters.

Someone told me recently that "figure painting" isn't really a thing anymore, that the idea of the portrait painter is outdated or stale, and the phrase itself tends to marginalize the work we're making. I made the mistake of basing my portfolio on that damnable phrase last year and I'm fairly certain it cost me a position at GSU. As an artist who paints images of people, it was too tempting for me to throw around the word, and I think that says something about the plug-able nature of it. Sort of a go-to space filler when we are at a loss for a more descriptive and accurate term. Of course it could just be semantics, but I've been thinking about what I do very differently since that little epiphany occurred.

After being rejected from all of the schools I applied to last season, I'm still debating on whether or not I should try again so soon. I will definitely only consider schools that give tuition waivers and/or work study (or whatever the grown-up phrase is). Do any of you fine creative people know of any such schools offhand?

Hi everyone! This will be my second year applying to MFA Photo programs. I'll once again be shooting for UCLA and CSULB, but definitely adding more schools this year. I'm really aiming to stay in the Los Angeles area, so USC and UCI will most likely be on the list.

The one thing I'm stressing about is adding new work. I have a few months to get maybe...six new prints done. I really need to get on that asap.

Hey, all. I'm still in a research phase, but right now my list is something like:

-MICA Mt Royal

-UPenn

-CCA

-Cranbrook

-SUNY Purchase

-Goldsmiths

-RISD

-Glasgow School of Art

-WashU

-UC Davis

-UCLA? Hunter? Rutgers?

Some of these I've visited and I know I like, others are in a vague "good vibes" category. Prefer fully interdisciplinary programs, but where that's not available I'll be applying to Sculpture.

Are all of you asking exclusively Studio Art profs for letters of rec? I'm thinking of asking an Art History prof, but I'm not sure how relevant that would be.

Are all of you asking exclusively Studio Art profs for letters of rec? I'm thinking of asking an Art History prof, but I'm not sure how relevant that would be.

I would recommend including one art historian. They can usually write better than artists and contextualize your work, as long as your trust them and they know you well enough.

MFA Painting here, I have been looking into

Glasgow School of Art

Slade School of Fine Art

New York Academy of Art

are a few that I have looked at.

Those are all great schools for an academic painting track. MassArt has some figurative work but not as representational as yours. I've also found that most programs other than the strictly conceptual usually have at least one figurative painter every few years. sometimes it may be nice to be the only one doing what you're doing instead of an entire building full.

I would recommend including one art historian. They can usually write better than artists and contextualize your work, as long as your trust them and they know you well enough.

Good points, thanks.

What is the consensus on applying to the same school two years in a row?

Do it! If you really want to go there, do it as many times as you have to. A. it shows the progression and evolution of your work. B. it shows that you are willing to do what you have to in order to make it happen. I heard of a story last application season of a girl who applied to Yale 4 times before they accepted her.

Edited by miyamoto81

For those of you looking for a fully funded interdisciplinary program with tons of freedom, checkout UCSB. No one ever told me about the program and I'm glad I applied and came. Big studios, crazy good weather, close proximity to LA, tons of TAing... I think we may be hosting a day for perspective grads in the fall sometime...

Edited by Curious12345

My list is currently: (in no order, for MFA Painting)

UC Davis

UT Austin

U. North Texas

University of Oregon

U. Colorado-Boulder

West Virginia University

San Jose State

Feel free to let me know if you have any opinions on the quality of these programs! I'm especially interested in the reputation of West Virginia, San Jose State, and U. Colorado-Boulder. I will be seeking teaching opportunities after getting the MFA, and it seems like school reputation is a big part of getting a teaching position. Thanks for any feedback!

UC Davis

UT Austin

U. North Texas

University of Oregon

U. Colorado-Boulder

West Virginia University

San Jose State

Feel free to let me know if you have any opinions on the quality of these programs! I'm especially interested in the reputation of West Virginia, San Jose State, and U. Colorado-Boulder. I will be seeking teaching opportunities after getting the MFA, and it seems like school reputation is a big part of getting a teaching position. Thanks for any feedback!

If you truly believe that, how come you aren't applying to any that have better reputations than the ones you've selected? IE: Yale, UCLA, UCI, RISD, CalArts, SFAI, CCA, etc etc. I'd say getting a job "blind" would be about reputation, but most teaching positions are granted on face to face interaction and networking, or possibly the schools you graduated from. Personally, I'd go for a school that gives you massive amounts of teaching experience. I'm going to UCSB and I'm TAing 2 classes or more for the rest of my stay here. As an employer, I'd think I'd want a candidate that has experience, not someone fresh from a "reputable" program that has 1 TA'ed class under their belt. Just my 2 pennies!

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, location and intensity of the program are as equally important to me as reputation. I have a wife and daughter and don't want to move them to a big city and get so wrapped up in some big intensive program that I never have time or energy for my family. But if I were single and had undivided focus...I would totally apply to those programs. So I guess what I'm trying to do is find a program with a good enough reputation to make the degree worthwhile, while also avoiding a program that is too intensive for my current life situation and located in a place that isn't ideal for a family. A difficult balance to achieve...I fully realize. Any suggestions, especially regarding programs, are still very much appreciated.

Those are all great schools for an academic painting track. MassArt has some figurative work but not as representational as yours. I've also found that most programs other than the strictly conceptual usually have at least one figurative painter every few years. sometimes it may be nice to be the only one doing what you're doing instead of an entire building full.

Thank you for the advice!

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, location and intensity of the program are as equally important to me as reputation. I have a wife and daughter and don't want to move them to a big city and get so wrapped up in some big intensive program that I never have time or energy for my family. But if I were single and had undivided focus...I would totally apply to those programs. So I guess what I'm trying to do is find a program with a good enough reputation to make the degree worthwhile, while also avoiding a program that is too intensive for my current life situation and located in a place that isn't ideal for a family. A difficult balance to achieve...I fully realize. Any suggestions, especially regarding programs, are still very much appreciated.

Sent you a PM!

Count me in! My short list as of now is:

Columbia (applying through printmaking)

Hunter (printmaking / drawing / works on paper)

Rutgers

RISD (either printmaking or painting)

I've talked to former graduate students from each program, but would love to hear any opinions people have about these programs. Thanks!

Do it! If you really want to go there, do it as many times as you have to. A. it shows the progression and evolution of your work. B. it shows that you are willing to do what you have to in order to make it happen. I heard of a story last application season of a girl who applied to Yale 4 times before they accepted her.

Thanks for the reply. Last season I was rejected from VCU's painting MFA program but accepted into their summer painting program (I declined the summer program because there were no funding opportunities available). Do you think this is any sort of indication that I was kind of B-listed, and that a second application could potentially carry more weight? Does having familiar work give you any sort of edge with the faculty jurors?

Edit: In retrospect, these questions of mine seem to be unanswerable. Shots in the dark, probably.

Edited by wm000

UC Davis

UT Austin

U. North Texas

University of Oregon

U. Colorado-Boulder

West Virginia University

San Jose State

If you truly believe that, how come you aren't applying to any that have better reputations than the ones you've selected? IE: Yale, UCLA, UCI, RISD, CalArts, SFAI, CCA, etc etc. I'd say getting a job "blind" would be about reputation, but most teaching positions are granted on face to face interaction and networking, or possibly the schools you graduated from. Personally, I'd go for a school that gives you massive amounts of teaching experience. I'm going to UCSB and I'm TAing 2 classes or more for the rest of my stay here. As an employer, I'd think I'd want a candidate that has experience, not someone fresh from a "reputable" program that has 1 TA'ed class under their belt. Just my 2 pennies!

Agreed. You'll want to be instructor of record and you'll want a portfolio of STUDENT WORK to show.

I realized that I'm not ready to leave New York. I've been here for 10 years and thought that I wanted to leave the city for school. This year I have a new perspective though funding is the biggest factor.

For Photo MFA, I'm looking at Bard (summer), SVA Photo/Video, SVA Art Practice (summer), and Hunter for now. And just in case I change my mind about the city I'm also looking into UIC, UChicago, Carnegie Mellon, and Tyler. Part of me wants to entertain CA schools but it's just too far away from my elderly mother in VA.

I'm open to other suggestions and am still in the research phase.

Does anyone know what the funding situation is like for the regular SVA MFA program. I think SVA Art Practice may have a bit more $ because it's a new program (a friend in the program told me a student or two may have a full scholarship). I kind of don't want to bother applying if the funding is bad. Though I would apply if there was a full scholarship to be had, even if just one. I already have a Master's and don't need to go deep into debt for an MFA.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a photo MFA program with nice film facilities.

Visiting schools last year, I found that the lab was actually sinking - no joke! - at UNM, where the grad advisor was also sort of prickly and unhelpful, and the facilities were dismal at Clemson. Nice, new facilities at UC - Boulder, but expensive tuition & living, and surprisingly nice facilities at UNC - Chapel Hill.

I'm also planning to visit WSU in Pullman and Boise State this year and will report back on what I find.

Anybody else been visiting photo programs and seen the labs available?

I'm looking for a school where photo isn't just an afterthought and they haven't gotten rid of everything film-based. Also hoping to get a teaching assistantship.

Anybody out there with input, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

I'm looking for a photo MFA program with nice film facilities.

Visiting schools last year, I found that the lab was actually sinking - no joke! - at UNM, where the grad advisor was also sort of prickly and unhelpful, and the facilities were dismal at Clemson. Nice, new facilities at UC - Boulder, but expensive tuition & living, and surprisingly nice facilities at UNC - Chapel Hill.

I'm also planning to visit WSU in Pullman and Boise State this year and will report back on what I find.

Anybody else been visiting photo programs and seen the labs available?

I'm looking for a school where photo isn't just an afterthought and they haven't gotten rid of everything film-based. Also hoping to get a teaching assistantship.

Anybody out there with input, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

The San Francisco Art Institute (where I went for undergrad) has excellent film facilities...hell, they even had a working color processor until a couple years ago.

Someone told me recently that "figure painting" isn't really a thing anymore, that the idea of the portrait painter is outdated or stale, and the phrase itself tends to marginalize the work we're making. I made the mistake of basing my portfolio on that damnable phrase last year and I'm fairly certain it cost me a position at GSU. As an artist who paints images of people, it was too tempting for me to throw around the word, and I think that says something about the plug-able nature of it. Sort of a go-to space filler when we are at a loss for a more descriptive and accurate term. Of course it could just be semantics, but I've been thinking about what I do very differently since that little epiphany occurred.

After being rejected from all of the schools I applied to last season, I'm still debating on whether or not I should try again so soon. I will definitely only consider schools that give tuition waivers and/or work study (or whatever the grown-up phrase is). Do any of you fine creative people know of any such schools offhand?

I used to be all about figurative painting & drawing myself. This was merely couple years ago when I was ready to apply to an MFA program with traditional oil paintings and charcoal drawings. I've always loved the figure and when you're rather proficient in depicting the figure, it is easy to stay with it --- especially when people strongly support you to keep going with it. However, there comes a time when an artist has to make a choice. It's an matter of evolving for some. I am not saying people should stop painting the figure in a traditional manner. People will always find interest and love for it. However, I do think it is the responsibility of the artist to make a conscious choice whether they want to push the evolution of art forward or not. Does the artist want to grow for themselves or grow for themselves and the history of art and contemporary society? While I still like figurative paintings, ever since I made the change, I see figurative painting differently.

All this being said, it all comes down to personal choice. You can paint figures and do it well and get even better. But for who? For yourself until you are no longer challenged or excited. You will have followers who love what you do. But in terms of art history, where do you stand? In terms of pushing the envelope and moving art forward into new exciting angles? I have the same problems with 'boring' abstract art but that is my personal opinion. I think art needs to address reality, society and history. Otherwise I think you pan handle to the white gallery walls to make your work seem to matter more than it really does.

You said you are wondering if you should apply soon after being rejected. I have been planning on applying for the past three consecutive years. Every year I tell myself I can do better. Every year I am glad I waited. Grad school is not something to apply to because it's the next step. It should be applied to when you feel mature about the direction your at is going.

Edited by TheStranger

For all of you '13 applicants, check out the list I compiled for fully funded (or highly funded) art programs in the US last year. Hopefully this will help those of you that are wanting the best bang for the buck for your MFA:

Best of luck to you all.

Gavin