MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Thanks for responding to my post! Yeah, I fell in love with everything I've seen from ECU.

Any suggestions on arranging the images? I do have a couple of art professors that will be going over my portfolio next week, so I'll feel better then, lol. Do you feel like, for the most part, the portfolio should consist of a similar theme (for example, street photography is my area, so should I focus on that instead of portraits and abstracts and etc...) of images, or have a little bit of everything?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I didn't think your portraits were very strong, but the street category contained the strongest images. The one of the blue school doors, the apple in the gutter, and the green building next to read doors were a nice grouping. The one of the droopy palm trees is the strongest image, but is there some texture photoshopped into it?

Work does not have to have a tight cohesiveness, but it needs a vision. Looking through all your images I wouldn't be able to tell they were all by the same person, although I do see small sets that work well together.

Edited by michaelwebster

I didn't think your portraits were very strong, but the street category contained the strongest images. The one of the blue school doors, the apple in the gutter, and the green building next to read doors were a nice grouping. The one of the droopy palm trees is the strongest image, but is there some texture photoshopped into it?

Work does not have to have a tight cohesiveness, but it needs a vision. Looking through all your images I wouldn't be able to tell they were all by the same person, although I do see small sets that work well together.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely be focusing more on my street work rather than portraits, no doubt about it. And I agree about the "vision" .. that's something I'm working on. I need to figure out what works together and use it to my advantage!

Thanks again for the pointers!

Hey! Just graduated with my BFA in drawing this past spring from a teeny tiny little state school. Looking to get my MFA in painting.

Applying to:

IU-Bloomington

Tulane

ECU

UNC-Greensboro

U of Minn

If you're interested, you can see some of my work here. I'll be submitting the "Star Stuff" & "Still Lifes" series. I've got more, but I'm in the process of getting with a photographer to get them shot. http://tattooedg33k.tumblr.com/tagged/Brandy-Jefferys I've also got a website, but it's a mess and has a ton of mostly older stuff. brandyjefferys.com

Hey! Just graduated with my BFA in drawing this past spring from a teeny tiny little state school. Looking to get my MFA in painting.

Applying to:

IU-Bloomington

Tulane

ECU

UNC-Greensboro

U of Minn

If you're interested, you can see some of my work here. I'll be submitting the "Star Stuff" & "Still Lifes" series. I've got more, but I'm in the process of getting with a photographer to get them shot. http://tattooedg33k....Brandy-Jefferys I've also got a website, but it's a mess and has a ton of mostly older stuff. brandyjefferys.com

If you have any questions about ECU or UNCG I know both of the programs very well.

So, if a program requests 15-20 images for the portfolio submission, do you think the reviewers generally look down on those that only submit 15? Is there an unspoken assumption that "serious" applicants would have enough quality work to submit the maximum number of images? Just curious.

So, if a program requests 15-20 images for the portfolio submission, do you think the reviewers generally look down on those that only submit 15? Is there an unspoken assumption that "serious" applicants would have enough quality work to submit the maximum number of images? Just curious.

I got a surprisingly candid response to this yesterday at UCLA and the advisor there basically said yes, you want to be towards the higher end of the spectrum. If you have 20 images but really think one or two aren't strong enough then take them out, but they expect you to have close to the maximum.

Mfa photo here I am in process of getting my images and statement done I will be applying at Ucf UF U of Delaware and Rhode Iceland school of design

Please look at my website and tell me your opinion

WWW.tomislavivkovic.com

Dude, your portfolio is awesome!

I got a surprisingly candid response to this yesterday at UCLA and the advisor there basically said yes, you want to be towards the higher end of the spectrum. If you have 20 images but really think one or two aren't strong enough then take them out, but they expect you to have close to the maximum.

So I just had a studio visit and they told me I needed to add more "details" of the pieces I have in the portfolio. I think I was under the impression that they want @20 strong different pieces of work. The way my portfolio is looking now is it pretty much consists of about 10 different pieces with some of the pieces consisting of an image and accompanied video. So in total I have about 17 images right about now. I feel like at this point I am burnt out on making new work, and so I only have older pieces that I'm not sure are as strong, so I don't know how I feel about adding them in. I'm having a meeting with a professor at UCSB tomorrow and hopefully I will get some feedback about the portfolio.

Applying to:

IU-Bloomington

Tulane

ECU

UNC-Greensboro

U of Minn

If you're interested, you can see some of my work here. I'll be submitting the "Star Stuff" & "Still Lifes" series. I've got more, but I'm in the process of getting with a photographer to get them shot. http://tattooedg33k....Brandy-Jefferys I've also got a website, but it's a mess and has a ton of mostly older stuff. brandyjefferys.com

Your work is interesting. For myself, I like the fact that you have two such different lines of paintings. I think that's fine in an undergrad.

How the heck did Tulane get into your list?Just because it's in New Orleans? Your website says you're looking forward to going someplace cool for grad school, but most of those places would not fit into that category in my opinion. I always recommend people look at schools in southern California, since the art scene there is so dynamic. Also consider U. Houston--some interesting painters working there, and a lively art world. The least expensive of any of the country's really big cities.

So I just had a studio visit and they told me I needed to add more "details" of the pieces I have in the portfolio. I think I was under the impression that they want @20 strong different pieces of work. The way my portfolio is looking now is it pretty much consists of about 10 different pieces with some of the pieces consisting of an image and accompanied video. So in total I have about 17 images right about now. I feel like at this point I am burnt out on making new work, and so I only have older pieces that I'm not sure are as strong, so I don't know how I feel about adding them in. I'm having a meeting with a professor at UCSB tomorrow and hopefully I will get some feedback about the portfolio.

Your work is provocative and appropriate for most of those schools listed. I would advise some additional fall-back schools such as CSU Fullerton or Long Beach. In fact, you might like working with Linda Kroff at Fullerton.

And of course I always think it's better to have more geographic diversity if it's possible.

Your work is provocative and appropriate for most of those schools listed. I would advise some additional fall-back schools such as CSU Fullerton or Long Beach. In fact, you might like working with Linda Kroff at Fullerton.

And of course I always think it's better to have more geographic diversity if it's possible.

Thank you losemygrip. I know that USC is probably not keen to my practice, but I honestly fell in love with the studios, the fact it was in LA, how much funding they had. It sounds so weird to say, but it felt very similar to Yale's 'cool kid' crowd. (I think the best I can describe it) But fuck. I would LOVE to work with A.L. Steiner.

I grew up in Orange County and visited Fullerton and Long Beach a lot and have had friends attend both schools. I know they would be back ups, but I don't think I would be happy at either school. Now that deadlines are approaching and the possibility of not getting in anywhere is ominous, I think I've come to terms with accepting that if it doesn't happen with these schools this year then maybe next year. (who knows, save money make more work, do some residencies) I think the schools I'm applying for I would be happy at, and when things are meant to happen I think they will. Thanks for the back up info though!

Those Jerry Saltz quotes are priceless, thanks. But I'm still applying to Yale and Columbia.

Here's my list so far.

Yale

Columbia

UCLA

VCU

SVA

UT Austin

UGA

LSU

U of O

U of Florida

This is my first round of apps, so ANY insight would be awesome.

sophiebenjamins.com

thanks!

Yale all depends on how much you and your parents make - I know people that received even more than tuition and people that only had to pay 1/3. Plus the Healthcare for two years is great.

just submitted my first application to The University of Chicago... sigh of relief.

also applying to:

Yale - painting&printmaking

Northwestern

USC

UCLA-painting&drawing

maybe Rutgers

im 22. prepared for and expecting complete rejection, hoping for an interview somewhere to see how i fare in such situations. uploaded a few recent images here: www.daveblloyd.blogspot.com

i visited u of c and nw (in my area) and was impressed. both seemed heady and uninterested in hiding behind ideologically futile practice in order to attain a 'look' (nw maybe a bit moreso than u of c). The faculty at both schools are incredibly intelligent, u of c's facilities are brand new as of two months ago (10 story tower-like building), but weird - nw's facilities are old and not up to par with the programs caliber (i sort of like this though)

just submitted my first application to The University of Chicago... sigh of relief.

also applying to:

Yale - painting&printmaking

Northwestern

USC

UCLA-painting&drawing

maybe Rutgers

im 22. prepared for and expecting complete rejection, hoping for an interview somewhere to see how i fare in such situations. uploaded a few recent images here: www.daveblloyd.blogspot.com

i visited u of c and nw (in my area) and was impressed. both seemed heady and uninterested in hiding behind ideologically futile practice in order to attain a 'look' (nw maybe a bit moreso than u of c). The faculty at both schools are incredibly intelligent, u of c's facilities are brand new as of two months ago (10 story tower-like building), but weird - nw's facilities are old and not up to par with the programs caliber (i sort of like this though)

You WILL get in somewhere, with your caliber of work and your writing ability (read your essay - very interesting). I applied last year at 23 and got in, so if its your age/experience that is bothering you I wouldn't worry. Work speaks for itself.