MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Hey, I didn't think this was worthy of a new thread, but I was wondering what people were doing for their descriptions of works in slideroom/applications? 

I know this is silly but, what do you think they are looking for? Do they want a really nice (but relatively short) concise analysis of what you think your work is saying, or do they just want an explanation of whats going on in the image such as, "in case you can't tell, this is me rolling down a hill naked and this is an ongoing series." (obv would make it sound a lot nicer)

Hey, I didn't think this was worthy of a new thread, but I was wondering what people were doing for their descriptions of works in slideroom/applications?

I know this is silly but, what do you think they are looking for? Do they want a really nice (but relatively short) concise analysis of what you think your work is saying, or do they just want an explanation of whats going on in the image such as, "in case you can't tell, this is me rolling down a hill naked and this is an ongoing series." (obv would make it sound a lot nicer)

I had just assumed I should leave that blank unless the image was a still from a video, a shot from a performance, or anything else highly kinetic or conceptual. Do people really fill that in much? I feel like you are supposed to let the images speak for themselves. But either way I wouldn't be trying to explain what the work is "about." That is what the statement is for.

i plan on doing the same as bengston but after looking at your work i see how some of your stills could justify a brief explanation 

after looking at your website, perhaps the title of the series, and then like "Performance at the Ubehebe Crater, Death Valley" is what i imagine to go in the 'description' section. Though I think "outer hole" and "long distance" could do with maybe like one more clue as to what happened in the performance, unless there are videos, in which case i think just where/and what it was is ok.

Hope that helped?

Half of mine are blank and the other half give some sort of context, depending on how specific/obscure the content is. (all of my slides are paintings though). I don't think it would hurt to simply describe the basic situation of an image if things like scale/reference are not easily comprehended just by looking at it, but if the image is clearly you rolling down a hill naked, you might only want to write "This is an ongoing series." I definitely wouldn't get into explanations of intent...

but i am completely new to this and could be 100% wrong.

Wow, this is exactly the question I had.

I'm really torn on this. On one hand I really don't think I should try to narrate or explain the paintings, but on the other I have no idea what they want and there is definitely little boxes labeled "brief description". Specifically in regards to Yale's application, it reads "The portfolio submission interface will allow you to label each image with ..., and a brief description of the work." in lieu of "you are required to provide a description".

VCU's slideroom says that "additional details are for any pertinent information that will assist the jury in understanding the work," which makes me lean further toward leaving them blank.

Regardless, any other opinions would be greatly appreciated

Hi all--

Does anyone know whether the Yale deadline of "12 midnight EST on January 2, 2013" means 11:59pm on 1/1 or 1/2? I was thinking that it meant 11:59pm 1/2 (meaning the deadline at midnight is technically 1/3). Now I'm not so sure, though, since I saw the application instructions say "Applications must be submitted online before January 2." I wish I could call them to clarify, but of course, tomorrow is a holiday. Help!

Re: Yale application, does anyone know if you can submit photographic diptychs/triptychs as one piece?

From their app "Do not format images in any presentation program (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote), or include composite images (more than one work per file). Still image files may be sent in jpeg, png, bmp, or tiff format."

I am trying to figure out if a diptych would violate that rule. Anyone know for sure?

(Sorry if this seems ridiculous, I'd just hate to be disqualified on a technicality ya know?)

Edited by Erpnope

Re: Yale application, does anyone know if you can submit photographic diptychs/triptychs as one piece?

From their app "Do not format images in any presentation program (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote), or include composite images (more than one work per file). Still image files may be sent in jpeg, png, bmp, or tiff format."

I am trying to figure out if a diptych would violate that rule. Anyone know for sure?

(Sorry if this seems ridiculous, I'd just hate to be disqualified on a technicality ya know?)

yeah dont do that

Thanks everyone for your input! 

I feel better about my application to UCSB now. I basically explained what an image still was, if there were any parameters to a performance, or indicated if it was part of a series. I think it will be better to stay away from explaining intent, I don't want to be talking at the jury. Thanks again, best of luck with the applications! 

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Graduate-School-Portfolio/6488845

Here's a link to some selected work that I'm using to apply for an MFA in graphic design. I am currently Receiving a bfa in studio art. All the work Shown is largely work done outside of school on my own as I felt my studio work(large scale collage and paintings) didn't really seem suited for a graphic design portfolio, though there are two in there that were done last year. Which I may take out and replace with some more generative typography pieces or another poster or two. I know it's late in the game but what do you guys think?

The work looks good guys, good luck, and happy new year!

Hi all--

Does anyone know whether the Yale deadline of "12 midnight EST on January 2, 2013" means 11:59pm on 1/1 or 1/2? I was thinking that it meant 11:59pm 1/2 (meaning the deadline at midnight is technically 1/3). Now I'm not so sure, though, since I saw the application instructions say "Applications must be submitted online before January 2." I wish I could call them to clarify, but of course, tomorrow is a holiday. Help!

Pretty sure it's tonight. Submitted mine a few hours ago and it went through!

So regarding deadlines, does letter of recomendations have to be sent by the aplication deadline or can arive later.

for example RISD deadline is jan 10 can I applay noweven that I know that letters of recommendation will arive a bit later, also for resume.

PLease anyone help

So regarding deadlines, does letter of recomendations have to be sent by the aplication deadline or can arive later.

for example RISD deadline is jan 10 can I applay noweven that I know that letters of recommendation will arive a bit later, also for resume.

PLease anyone help

According to RISD's website:

"Recommenders may also use their own stationery, but it is critical that they include your full name in their letter. Recommendations should be sent by the writer directly to the Admissions Office in time to meet the January 10 deadline."

I believe with RISD, all materials (SOP, CV, letters of rec, portfolio, and transcripts) have to be received by Jan 10th, so it's NOT a post-mark date. As long as your name (and maybe some other identifying info, like address or email) is written on all your materials, it shouldn't matter the order in which they arrive to the school (in theory).

Other schools may have a post-mark date and not a receive date, but the rest of the schools I'm applying to deal with everything online, so I don't really know.

does anyone know about resumes? like, obviously they don't want to know that i worked at Bob's Chicken and Waffles for three years... they are mainly looking for exhibition experience right? since i have very little, my resume will be about half a page. should i include work experience?

does anyone know about resumes? like, obviously they don't want to know that i worked at Bob's Chicken and Waffles for three years... they are mainly looking for exhibition experience right? since i have very little, my resume will be about half a page. should i include work experience?

Most schools are looking for an art-specific resume/CV. So with that you should include your education, solo shows, selected group shows, awards & grants, and publications. If you have teaching experience, you may want to include that as well. If you don't know how to format it, go to a top notch gallery's website and see how their represented artists' CVs look.

However some schools do ask for a work history (like Hunter), in which case you may upload your work/professional resume (in addition to your art CV later in the application). What you put down is debatable. If you have some impressive work experience, I would include it, especially if you've been out of school for a number of years.

In the end, don't sweat the CV too much, it's really not that important in the big scheme of things. If anything, if you look too accomplished, it could count against you. (as said by faculty at Columbia)Good luck!!

It's a little too late now, I imagine, but I believe it would be fine to include your triptych as one piece.  They don't want more than "one work per file."  The triptych is one work.  It's just in three parts.  What they're trying to avoid is PDFs with your entire portfolio in one document--that sort of thing.

Starting to really freak out...only applying to 2 schools!!! Does anyone know about acceptance rates for USF Fine Arts? What about Tyler for printmaking?

Thanks!!!

http://www.petersons.com suggests the following:

U. South Florida - 28% Acceptance 

Tyler Dept. of Graphic Arts & Design (and Printmaking?) - 7%

Tyler Dept. of Painting, Drawing, & Sculpture - 4%

Tyler School of Art (overall) - 11%

Hope that helps!

Edited by Josholas

It's a little too late now, I imagine, but I believe it would be fine to include your triptych as one piece.  They don't want more than "one work per file."  The triptych is one work.  It's just in three parts.  What they're trying to avoid is PDFs with your entire portfolio in one document--that sort of thing.

Ah well. We shall see!

Hello! Working on my UCLA application for MFA Painting...and it's the only school that asks for both a statement of purpose and artist's statement.

SOP Prompt-

"Please state your purpose in applying for graduate study. Describe your scholarly and research area(s) of interest, experiences that contributed to your preparation in the field, and your plans for your future occupation or profession. Briefly describe experiences that have prepared you for advanced study or research, and provide any additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA. If you are applying for a research masters or doctoral program, you are encouraged to indicate specific research interests and potential faculty mentors."

Artist's Statement Prompt- 

"In addition to submitting the required Statement of Purpose, please use this section to submit a short statement about your artwork. The statement should be no longer than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words)."

It's really throwing me off my application groove...any thoughts??