MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

I recieved my acceptance letter to Rutgers late Feb last year.  They staggered acceptance letters over a couple weeks after that, especially for painting.

Inkhouse, does Rutgers interview applicants before sending out acceptance letters? From what I understand they don't. Also does the acceptance letter state any awarded funding or does that come later?

Inkhouse, does Rutgers interview applicants before sending out acceptance letters? From what I understand they don't. Also does the acceptance letter state any awarded funding or does that come later?

I was not interviewed.  I received a letter in the mail and a phone call a little later.  Funding is competetive and something you apply for in essay form after being accepted.

Hello. Just found this forum. Best of luck to you all. 

Applied for MFA in Sculpture. Haven't heard anything yet, but patience is key. Don't care if accepted or not. We all have to take chances if we are ever going to get anywhere. Im interested in going back to hang with other artists and just flat out make WORK. Any other reason besides that seems trite. 

Looking forward to keeping up with this forum and seeing how things work out for others. There is definitely some 'interesting' work I saw on peoples websites. Not much of the work is evolved, but I guess thats why people feel they need to go to graduate school. 

Hi everyone!

It's so nice to have a space to talk about the admissions and acceptance process for schools. I've applied for the 2013 school year to programs that are interdisciplinary or in painting if I had to choose. I can't believe people are hearing back for interviews already. Like everyone else, I've been obsessing over school choices and checking my email so I decided to join the forum to get up to the minute news on what's happening.

I'll be checking in frequently :) Good luck to everyone!

The list for me:

RISD

SMFA

UCONN

Rutgers

SUNY Purchase

Tyler

Cornell

Bard

Hello. Just found this forum. Best of luck to you all. 

Applied for MFA in Sculpture. Haven't heard anything yet, but patience is key. Don't care if accepted or not. We all have to take chances if we are ever going to get anywhere. Im interested in going back to hang with other artists and just flat out make WORK. Any other reason besides that seems trite. 

Looking forward to keeping up with this forum and seeing how things work out for others. There is definitely some 'interesting' work I saw on peoples websites. Not much of the work is evolved, but I guess thats why people feel they need to go to graduate school. 

Actually, besides all the stuff you said (being around other artists etc.)  I really just don't want to work at walmart or some other type of non-art related job. I have to worry about more than just myself-- I have 3 kids to feed.  I don't feel that is "trite" in any way.  

note: many applicants are shortlisted. Each school will send confirmation to their top picks and see how it plays out. If the applicant accepts right away, the position is filled. If the applicant requests to wait for decisions from other programs, then most of the time, the school will wait a couple weeks. ( this is where a majority of us wait) If original applicant turns down acceptance, then the school will look at their short list of potential canidates and make the call to another applicant. So on and on until the programs unit is complete. Each application shines differently, but from what I have experienced, the most grounded/mature artist is most of time at the top of each schools list he/she applied to.  Some people get into every school they apply. Crazy, I know.   

So there is nothing to be worried about if you havent got a call yet. 

Agreed. Those of us with dependents have more to fight for to try and both follow our dreams and support a family with it's own needs. I have had numerous friends look at me like I am crazy for thinking about moving to another state just to go to school when I have a daughter I will be relocating as well. I've job searched, and can easily apply to positions earning more than I will starting out teaching...but I don't want to be sucked into a non-art world that distracts me from what I really want to do. Be considerate of all :).

Actually, besides all the stuff you said (being around other artists etc.)  I really just don't want to work at walmart or some other type of non-art related job. I have to worry about more than just myself-- I have 3 kids to feed.  I don't feel that is "trite" in any way.  

Why would you have to work at wally world? What does having three kids have to do with going to graduate school to make work? I can imagine it being difficult to jump start a career in the arts in this type of situation but what is it exactly you are trying to achieve by going to school? I haven't trolled this entire forum so I am not sure if you may have stated before, but would be interesting to here. 

Why would you have to work at wally world? What does having three kids have to do with going to graduate school to make work? I can imagine it being difficult to jump start a career in the arts in this type of situation but what is it exactly you are trying to achieve by going to school? I haven't trolled this entire forum so I am not sure if you may have stated before, but would be interesting to here. 

Do you have an art career already?  Just wondering because you seem confident that it is an easy thing to do.  

In general, more education= more opportunity.  It's just a fact.  

Also, as a general rule, higher paying jobs require more education.  So, yeah having 3 kids  (as opposed to just supporting myself ) makes a huge difference.  

My question is, why wouldn't  someone want more education?  It's only 2 or 3 more years to have a terminal degree in my field, so why not?  I guess it's just in my blood.

hi -- 

this is my second round of applications. i had been accept to AIB but it's low res and after thinking it over I really wanted to go away for my MFA. I wanted to live some where else and make work...tons of it. But anyhow I applied to several schools, for ceramics. It's pretty daunting to be waiting and I'm hoping to get in somewhere... know we all are. Just curious if anyone else is applying for ceramics? some of the schools i applied to were: Syracuse, Cranbrook, RISD, Alfred, Mass Art, VCU, & Tyler. 

Do you have an art career already?  Just wondering because you seem confident that it is an easy thing to do.  

Also, as a general rule, higher paying jobs require more education.  So, yeah having 3 kids  (as opposed to just supporting myself ) makes a huge difference.  

My question is, why wouldn't  someone want more education?  It's only 2 or 3 more years to have a terminal degree in my field, so why not?  I guess it's just in my blood.

Beside the fact that being involved in a career you love makes you a better parent...

hi -- 

this is my second round of applications. i had been accept to AIB but it's low res and after thinking it over I really wanted to go away for my MFA. I wanted to live some where else and make work...tons of it. But anyhow I applied to several schools, for ceramics. It's pretty daunting to be waiting and I'm hoping to get in somewhere... know we all are. Just curious if anyone else is applying for ceramics? some of the schools i applied to were: Syracuse, Cranbrook, RISD, Alfred, Mass Art, VCU, & Tyler. 

Look like all standard choices. I had a friend who just went to Cranbrook for Ceramics this past fall and they have NO FUNDING! Talk about paying 75K!!! 

CU Boulder has one of the best Ceramic/Interdisciplinary programs out there, but is EXTREMELY competitive. They had 230 applicants for three positions. Program is fully funded through TA/Teaching/Departmental Positions/Scholarships. They let you make whatever you want but really force you to ask yourself the questions and create a discourse for your work. They facilitate an environment which forces you to ACTUALLY talk about your work in a way that is concise and understandable. Not like solving a Sherlock Holmes mystery like the other top schools are. I've read plenty of dissertation/thesis defense/looked at graduate work from all of the schools on your list and its all fairly mediocre. RISD and VCU (along with Boulder) are the only schools really pushing the boundaries in contemporary ceramics. Alfred has become a crap shoot and that name doesn't hold its rep like it used to. 

Best of luck to you. 

Im interested in going back to hang with other artists and just flat out make WORK. Any other reason besides that seems trite. 

I have to say, your first post comes off a bit offensive. There are many reasons to go to grad school, just to make work definitely shouldn't be the only reason. I can make all the work I want at home, what I would gain from grad school is the dialogue created by the faculty and colleagues, resources to further me education, a realistic stepping stone in a way that will allow me to pursue my arts full time (make some sort of livable cash). I don't have kinds, am not married, and no need to settle down, but those people who have lives and responsibilities, their reasons are no less credible. In fact, if you just want to make work, invest in a studio or a garage space. Academic at is more than just making it, it's discussing it, understanding it past and present, and learning the business behind it. 

There is definitely some 'interesting' work I saw on peoples websites. Not much of the work is evolved, but I guess thats why people feel they need to go to graduate school

Depends on what your definition of evolved is. I know I've only posted the work I included in my graduate portfolios. I'm sure if more people, including myself, posted all of our work from the past 5-10 years, you'd see an evolution of sorts. Your work should be constantly changing, growing and evolving. It should never reach it's peak, otherwise, where else do you go? I have no idea what you are saying by 'interesting', but to me, it comes off a bit pretentious. Maybe its due to the entire post.

Sorry if this came out so negative, but your post left me with a really bad taste in my mouth and has been sitting in the back of my head all day. on another note, where are you applying to? It's nice to see so many sculpture people! I keep seeing painters and it always bums me out (sorry painters, I love you guys, but I want to see more 3D work!!!). 

Cant wait until my final applications are done, then I can start preparing for my interviews and start rereading "Why is that Art?", "Duchamp" and "House of Leave".

Edit: I realize this came off harsher than I probably intend to. Not changing anything in the post, but just wanted to address the harsh tone.

Edited by ArsenicYellow

I actually didn't interpret it this way.  I saw it as "iknowuyoudontcare" expressing eagerness to get back in the studio, not as giving the finger to any other reason. 

I think I only interpreted it as such due to combination of quotes under 'interesting' and the use of the word trite.I think if just one of those were in the post, I would've read it differently. I was going to edit this part into the previous post. I may have entirely misunderstood what he was trying to say, but to say someones reasons are trite just really rubbed me the wrong way. Hell, I'm going to gradschool for the same reasons as he is, but I'm in a situation where I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about how much money I'm making right now. I do have to worry about affording the school, which is why I stayed in state in the deep south for my undergrad. 

Starting to get nervous!!! Hope to hear from some schools soon. But last year I was hearing back all the way until August, so it can be really be nerve wracking.

Same for me!! Schools are all over the board with turnaround times. I remember your work from last yrs forum. Wishing you lots of luck! :)

Alright ladies and gents, did anyone decide to throw in a last minute application with tomorrows Feb 1st deadline? I'm guilty for cranking out an additional one. Here's my final list:

UCI

UCSD

RISD

UWashington

UC LongBeach

Tulane

UHawaii

UOregon

Notre Dame

Lots of luck and sending tons of positivity your way! Cheers!

'I can make all the work I want at home, what I would gain from grad school is the dialogue created by the faculty and colleagues, resources to further me education.'

'In fact, if you just want to make work, invest in a studio or a garage space. Academic at is more than just making it, it's discussing it, understanding it past and present, and learning the business behind it.'

_______

Good to hear you got that taste in your mouth! Looks like you may have skipped the sweet and sour course. 

Going to graduate school IS about making work and becoming part of an environment that embraces the arts and is in constant dialogue. You can not have this dialogue and interaction if your not making work and exploring. Sure we can 'make all the work we want at home' but as we all know, that never got anyone anywhere. (Spare the examples please, times are what they are NOW and nothing is changing.) The only artists working in their homes are ones who are established already. 

I laugh at the term 'Academic Art'- Lets all just make shit that no one, outside of our friends with benefits circles, understands. Discussion and its relevance within culture time periods is part of creating art, again. Academic art is total BS. Make work people can understand and gain something from. Not just some pretty thingy or something that you just stare at an go, HUH?

You are not going to learn 'the business behind it' because there is no business behind making art. 

The art world 'as a business' is dying. So, to say one wants to gain accreditation for their 'art' so they can make 'money' is a bunch of bologna.  Only blue collar one percenturds buy artwork from blue chip artists. Art has become an investment and the buyers control this market. This is why good art criticism is hard to come by these days. Every editorial writer has the hand in the pocket of the editor whose hand is in the dealers pocket while both his hands are in the buyers pocket. I mean, you can ignore this fact if you just want to sell $200 paintings at coffee shops and entry-fee stricken nationals shows. 

Here is grad school. You go in and the professors make you look at a bunch of stuff, then talk about a bunch of stuff, then read about a bunch of stuff and then write about a bunch of stuff. After this, they want you to make a bunch of stuff and the process begins again and again until you put it all together in what is called a 'thesis' - meaning, I thought and did all this stuff and this is my conclusion. If you can keep your shit together and not get all disoriented by all these twists and turns throughout this 2-3 year beating, then you will get yourself a gallery and a show and an interesting place to go make more work next. You have to go into school knowing what it is you want and the passion and motivation has to be there. So, you go to school knowing what you want to do, shake a few hands and have a couple moments and you get yourself a gallery and a sweet spot to go to next. Yes, there is all the blah blah blah in between of networking and relationship building and falling in love, but thats part of every process unless you are already 'voted in'

This discussion is important. I've experienced these things before and is why I left school once already. Its all on the school you go to, hands down. The top schools are the best because they have placement and connections. No connections means doing it on your own and I give sincere applause and best of wishes to those who want to go that route. Those choosing this route are the 'real artists' who don't subscribe to kissing ass and buying your way in. I love people and open spaces and creative dialogue, thats why I am wanting to go back - to hang with artists, make work and get shit crazy.

I agree with what you are saying with opportunity, pay and more education. We all want to get smarter, duh! This question is not proposed directly at you because it has come about in recent dialogues but:

'Why do we need to know all this trivial stuff? For conversation? For pleasure? For something to do? 

How long will it take one to realize that their cup is already full? When will one stop pouring and actually drink and digest what is already in front of them? 

I sincerely wish you the best in all your applications and future path as an artist. There is nothing in the world that can stop the passion for creating and I hope nothing ever stops you. 

I agree with what you are saying with opportunity, pay and more education. We all want to get smarter, duh! This question is not proposed directly at you because it has come about in recent dialogues but:

'Why do we need to know all this trivial stuff? For conversation? For pleasure? For something to do? 

How long will it take one to realize that their cup is already full? When will one stop pouring and actually drink and digest what is already in front of them? 

I sincerely wish you the best in all your applications and future path as an artist. There is nothing in the world that can stop the passion for creating and I hope nothing ever stops you. 

Thanks.  Sorry for sounding mad, but at first you came across as someone who was just living in their parents' basement getting mad at other people for being ambitious.   Now I can see that is not the case at all, so I apologize.  

My goal in life is not recognition or fame or money, but just to make art, be around art and artists and provide for myself and my family.  

I suppose if someone's goal was to be a famous artist, then that would completely change their mentality and approach to Graduate school.  

I also agree that having connections is extremely important.  But those can be gained in other ways besides going to a certain school (in fact sometimes you need the connections before you can even get into certain schools).   Nearly all successful (while alive) artists have some connections, but certainly not all of them went to Graduate school!