MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

More of a point of curiosity than anything else - Does anyone know if UCLA photo interviews or not? I went through the archives but couldn't find anything too definitive. 

I'm not sure but am curious myself. I looked at last year's thread and saw mentions of people getting phone interviews. 

Anyone have any more info?

Relaying info about Bard (summer program) notification and interview date from an email confirming receipt of my application:

In mid-February you will receive an email from our office letting you know whether you have been selected for an interview. Interviews take place on Bard's campus in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY on Saturday, March 16.

In general we will need to be patient and find distractions. We won't hear from most schools until mid-February.

This discussion is important. I've experienced these things before and is why I left school once already. Its all on the school you go to, hands down. The top schools are the best because they have placement and connections. No connections means doing it on your own and I give sincere applause and best of wishes to those who want to go that route. Those choosing this route are the 'real artists' who don't subscribe to kissing ass and buying your way in. I love people and open spaces and creative dialogue, thats why I am wanting to go back - to hang with artists, make work and get shit crazy.

Good points....Which schools do you personally consider to be the top schools currently?

I'm not sure but am curious myself. I looked at last year's thread and saw mentions of people getting phone interviews. 

Anyone have any more info?

yeah i took a dig up to march and saw only new media people getting interviews

Academic art is more than just making it, it's discussing it, understanding it past and present, and learning the business behind it. 

Beware users of the term "academic art." I believe it CAN mean art related to any academy (past or present), but "academic art" is a term that is generally assigned to a style of art that concerns itself with the Academy, specifically the Académie des Beaux-Arts. If one says the term "academic art," neoclassicism and romanticism should be the specific styles that come to mind. However I think the conversation on this forum is more concerned with art being made within our current institution, which is a very different thing from the Academy.

Good points....Which schools do you personally consider to be the top schools currently?

That would really depend on your field of study. I applied this year to sculpture programs and they may have not been in Newsweeks TOP SCHOOLS, but they are underground treasures. For instance, NYC is NYC. You can pay to go to Columbia or SVA and getter major debt or apply to a school like Hunter which is still in NYC, funded and gets a lot of attention because it is an Art School in the city and collectors/curators/dealers do not just look at one school in a specific area. 

I see you applied to MFA Painting. Its best (what I did) to look at every single thesis catalogue and graduate within the last five years and see what schooling actually did for them. Where are they now? CV? Shows? Work? Its hard to say which are the best for painting, but the work that comes from Yale painters is mostly bunk. Thats why they went there in the first place. Their application was weak. They didn't get into any other note-worthy school and since Yale accepts like twenty students per year, one goes to school their because mommy or daddy is paying for it. The best in the field get the funding. The others, who pay, create a balance to the 'programs running costs'

The best schools are those that will accept you and give you funding.   ;)

Maybe you should have put that into your 'personal essay'

... in closing, I truly believe that your program is the best in the nation and if I were to receive full funding, salary and benefits, then I would most definitely choose your program. Otherwise, you can kiss my ass and pick someone else because IM NOT going to your school if you don't show me the $$$$$$$. Thank You

Beware users of the term "academic art." I believe it CAN mean art related to any academy (past or present), but "academic art" is a term that is generally assigned to a style of art that concerns itself with the Academy, specifically the Académie des Beaux-Arts. If one says the term "academic art," neoclassicism and romanticism should be the specific styles that come to mind. However I think the conversation on this forum is more concerned with art being made within our current institution, which is a very different thing from the Academy.

Very, very well said. I always enjoy your contributions to this forum lady!!

That would really depend on your field of study. I applied this year to sculpture programs and they may have not been in Newsweeks TOP SCHOOLS, but they are underground treasures. For instance, NYC is NYC. You can pay to go to Columbia or SVA and getter major debt or apply to a school like Hunter which is still in NYC, funded and gets a lot of attention because it is an Art School in the city and collectors/curators/dealers do not just look at one school in a specific area. 

I see you applied to MFA Painting. Its best (what I did) to look at every single thesis catalogue and graduate within the last five years and see what schooling actually did for them. Where are they now? CV? Shows? Work? Its hard to say which are the best for painting, but the work that comes from Yale painters is mostly bunk. Thats why they went there in the first place. Their application was weak. They didn't get into any other note-worthy school and since Yale accepts like twenty students per year, one goes to school their because mommy or daddy is paying for it. The best in the field get the funding. The others, who pay, create a balance to the 'programs running costs'

Nice.  I feel ya.  I applied to Hunter too.  I've got fam. in NYC.  Husb. grew up there too, but the other schools just seem like highway robbery.

the work that comes from Yale painters is mostly bunk. Thats why they went there in the first place. Their application was weak. They didn't get into any other note-worthy school and since Yale accepts like twenty students per year, one goes to school their because mommy or daddy is paying for it. The best in the field get the funding. The others, who pay, create a balance to the 'programs running costs'

this person is completely delusional.

Funding is KEY in my decision. I'm not going into debt to get an MFA.  I have friends that did that and now regret it.  

Funding is KEY in my decision. I'm not going into debt to get an MFA.  I have friends that did that and now regret it.  

how much did they end up owing did they find something eventualy

Does anyone have clue what is the deal with 2years and 3 years mfa, I talked with my professor and he was saying that many schools are moving toward 3 years mfa, even that there is a credit houres diference :ph34r:

Very, very well said. I always enjoy your contributions to this forum lady!!

Thanks!!

You can pay to go to Columbia or SVA and getter major debt or apply to a school like Hunter which is still in NYC, funded and gets a lot of attention because it is an Art School in the city and collectors/curators/dealers do not just look at one school in a specific area. 

Yeah, Hunter is a total gem! I admit I was wooed by Columbia's spiel (and I do have quite a few art crushes on past grads), but I think the reality is that even if I was accepted into their program, I would never be able to afford it. The following article was published on this issue in the New York Times in 2004 and it's still applicable today, 8 1/2 years later:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/24/nyregion/arts-students-at-columbia-paint-a-bleak-money-picture.html

"You find as you go deeper and deeper into the waiting list, you are starting to take students who can pay."

"Peter Smith, who was the dean of the School of the Arts from 1987 to 1995 and is now retired, said that if something does not change soon, the consequences could be dire. 'The school will be in danger of becoming a place where only the wealthy and the foolhardy will decide to go.'"

I still think Columbia's program structure is amazing, but I'm disappointed that it's available to only the financial elite. Damn my middle class roots! Siiiigh. Come on Hunter, accept meeeee! ^____^

from the article  "I think in the past art was taught as if it were this romantic thing."  LOL

After drawing the same sea shell 100 times for foundation it is very apparent, art is the most unromantic thing. 

this person is completely delusional.

+

Thanks!!

Yeah, Hunter is a total gem! I admit I was wooed by Columbia's spiel (and I do have quite a few art crushes on past grads), but I think the reality is that even if I was accepted into their program, I would never be able to afford it. The following article was published on this issue in the New York Times in 2004 and it's still applicable today, 8 1/2 years later:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/24/nyregion/arts-students-at-columbia-paint-a-bleak-money-picture.html

"You find as you go deeper and deeper into the waiting list, you are starting to take students who can pay."

"Peter Smith, who was the dean of the School of the Arts from 1987 to 1995 and is now retired, said that if something does not change soon, the consequences could be dire. 'The school will be in danger of becoming a place where only the wealthy and the foolhardy will decide to go.'"

I still think Columbia's program structure is amazing, but I'm disappointed that it's available to only the financial elite. Damn my middle class roots! Siiiigh. Come on Hunter, accept meeeee! ^____^

No, I am not delusional.

To quote from the NY Times Article, ''I don't want to see a rich-kid program,'' he added. ''You find as you go deeper and deeper into the waiting list, you are starting to take students who can pay.''

This is Columbia. Same applies to Cranbrook. Same applies to Yale. Yale, like I said before, takes 20 applicants per year in their painting/printmaking department. Most of the students are PAYING, one way or another, to be part of that program. Sure each student may have to pay 'something' but over 75% are shelling out 50K+ for a degree. 

example: a recent friend makes a bunch of work within the university art system as a post-bacc. The work is decent, but lacking. Hanging little geo-things in a bunch of environments is well played out by now. This person kisses ass for two years, applies to seven schools and only gets into one - a private, expensive '_______ school of the arts' program with little to no funding. This person gets ZERO funding but with a price tag of 35Gs they are allowed to go. Said person has '$$$$$$$' from spending the first ten years of career in management. So, said person, cashes out 401k blah blah blah and is now dropping almost 100K just to go to some school. I mean, all the best to this person, but this is an example of these 'trendy, high priced schools'

+

No, I am not delusional.

To quote from the NY Times Article, ''I don't want to see a rich-kid program,'' he added. ''You find as you go deeper and deeper into the waiting list, you are starting to take students who can pay.''

This is Columbia. Same applies to Cranbrook. Same applies to Yale. Yale, like I said before, takes 20 applicants per year in their painting/printmaking department. Most of the students are PAYING, one way or another, to be part of that program. Sure each student may have to pay 'something' but over 75% are shelling out 50K+ for a degree. 

example: a recent friend makes a bunch of work within the university art system as a post-bacc. The work is decent, but lacking. Hanging little geo-things in a bunch of environments is well played out by now. This person kisses ass for two years, applies to seven schools and only gets into one - a private, expensive '_______ school of the arts' program with little to no funding. This person gets ZERO funding but with a price tag of 35Gs they are allowed to go. Said person has '$$$$$$$' from spending the first ten years of career in management. So, said person, cashes out 401k blah blah blah and is now dropping almost 100K just to go to some school. I mean, all the best to this person, but this is an example of these 'trendy, high priced schools'

Om goodness, a guy I know did the same thing!  he applied to all kinds of schools, but only one accepted him and it was super expensive.  many years later his work is just as bad as it was before and he has no representation or shows or anything, just in massive debt.  

i so don't want that to be me!  yikes. 

yale funds students according to personal and parental income. if youre rich you pay. if youre not, you pay much less or nothing. cranbrook is not yale (financially or reputably). columbia is not yale (financially). yale painters dont attend the school because "Their application was weak. They didn't get into any other note-worthy school." that statement is not just inaccurate, its insane. yes, their program is large in comparison.... this is because they get 2-10 times the number of applicants of most programs. their acceptance rate is still one of, if not THE lowest in the country (for programs with a painting distinction). youre degrading programs with blatant over-generalizations and inaccurate assumptions. not every program that you view as "private + expensive" is a haven for rich, second-rate artists.

"The work is decent, but lacking. Hanging little geo-things in a bunch of environments is well played out by now." on an internet forum, an anonymous persons view of not-present work that he/she sees as 'decent, but lacking' means absolutely nothing. to try and influence opinions on specific schools using this tactic is ridiculous. can we please stick to facts instead of nonsensical hearsay? this thread is quickly unravelling with dumb angst and over-zealous ignorance. BASIC LOGIC TELLS US THAT AN MFA IS NOT WORTH MASSIVE DEBT. we dont need a thread of indirect testimonials about it.

Edited by indigoconcord

Om goodness, a guy I know did the same thing!  he applied to all kinds of schools, but only one accepted him and it was super expensive.  many years later his work is just as bad as it was before and he has no representation or shows or anything, just in massive debt.  

i so don't want that to be me!  yikes. 

Though to play a little bit of devil's advocate, I also have a friend who is in quite a bit of debt from her education, and she doesn't regret her choices at all. I watched her work grow immensely, and now her career is starting to blossom. I don't think I would want to be in as much debt as her, but to each his own. I know what it's like to pay off $40K from undergrad, and I wouldn't have changed a single decision in my past, because the circumstances of my education led me down a really interesting path.

I think the risks are a case-by-case basis, depending on what you want your MFA experience to be and lead to. Regarding teaching, I've been told by various frustrated faculty that they've seen perfectly qualified candidates get passed up for positions because someone (who maybe wasn't as good of a teacher) had a fancy well-connected school on their resume. Is it better to be in debt but have more freedom of mobility or to be in less debt but not have as many windows of opportunity?

As for the art market, if the art world was a pure meritocracy, then I think the answer to this question would be easy. But the art world is the largest unregulated market in the world, and so networking, connections, and branding are key.

But again, I think it depends on what your individual goals are. I don't think all schools are for everyone. I'm still trying to decide what school would be best for me. I'm just hoping, come spring, I will have the luxury to decide!

There are unending factors that factor in and come into play according to each individual. To take anothers experience and give it so much validity that it becomes your truth, in this circumstance is not wise. One size does not fit all.

I find this forum fascinating because of all the vastly different opinions that float about but I hope that everyone on here or reading... actively engages much better sources than anonymous posts and news clips.

I've seen all levels of talent succeed due to only one factor of truth and that is their own ambition and/or will to do so. What university they went to is either a non-factor or icing on the cake. And yes, a reputable program would be icing on the cake to some.

Cheers to all of us getting good news and being able to decide between a great selection of frostings soon! ;)

There are unending factors that factor in and come into play according to each individual. To take anothers experience and give it so much validity that it becomes your truth, in this circumstance is not wise. One size does not fit all.

I find this forum fascinating because of all the vastly different opinions that float about but I hope that everyone on here or reading... actively engages much better sources than anonymous posts and news clips.

I've seen all levels of talent succeed due to only one factor of truth and that is their own ambition and/or will to do so. What university they went to is either a non-factor or icing on the cake. And yes, a reputable program would be icing on the cake to some.

Cheers to all of us getting good news and being able to decide between a great selection of frostings soon! ;)

Exclamation Point

Here is a link to almost all the MFA Painting Thesis Catalogues from the last five years. All free downloads and worth a look at!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?type=&keyWords=yale+mfa+painting&x=0&y=0&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=