MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Just received email notification today from University of Wisconsin (Madison).

Accepted in MFA Painting.

No interview and have not visited the school.

Best of luck to everyone.

Congratulations - that's amazing!  UW Madison has great facilities.  I've spent quite a bit of time in Madison if you have any q's about the city, pm me!

The whole application process at every school is pretty frustrating because the management tools the schools use are too customizable. One school only uses Slideroom, another only ApplyYourself, then others Both. Neither piece of software is great, although I would happily take Slideroom over ApplyYourself anytime. Even my recommenders mentioned to me how frustrating it can be on their end because some schools send out e-mail confirmations that they received the recommendation while others do not. Why this hasn't been simplified yet is beyond me, ApplyYourself seems like it was made in 1999 and never updated, it's crazy.

That being said, I think that it is kind of nice that UCLA doesn't take recommendations. Sure, it is nice knowing that you have really good ones, but doesn't everyone? Generally people will not offer to write you a recommendation unless they feel comfortable writing a really positive one. So, with that being the case, they can become more political than anything else at some schools. This isn't to say I don't think they can be useful too, I just believe that your transcript, work, and own writing are a better indication of what kind of artist/student you will be. Also, if you take a look at the work coming out of UCLA, it's pretty clear they are doing something right.

Ha. Yes. I'll take Slideroom any day. valid points. There is something to be said for limiting the variables, I really just find it so fascinating how different each programs/department functions. And while 50-60% do get cut from most of these interviews, its more like "do we want to work with this person, and are they really ready to engage in this conversation", right? Weed out the people who are able to mimic contemporary postures, I would think. Some programs can do it without interviews. I think that is pretty remarkable, actually. (I just didn't know until today UCLA didn't do interviews) Congrats on Yale! Hopefully since you are in NY taking your work up wont be too much of a hassle. 

Ha. Yes. I'll take Slideroom any day. valid points. There is something to be said for limiting the variables, I really just find it so fascinating how different each programs/department functions. And while 50-60% do get cut from most of these interviews, its more like "do we want to work with this person, and are they really ready to engage in this conversation", right? Weed out the people who are able to mimic contemporary postures, I would think. Some programs can do it without interviews. I think that is pretty remarkable, actually. (I just didn't know until today UCLA didn't do interviews) Congrats on Yale! Hopefully since you are in NY taking your work up wont be too much of a hassle. 

Thanks, it really won't be hard at all because most of my work is small and on paper and my parents actually live just outside of New Haven. I am not certain, but I think Yale interviews about 3 times as many people as they accept into the program, does anyone know if that is right?

Another thing I forgot to mention about UCLA not taking recommendation letters: for people who have been out of school for a longer time and haven't lived in big cities with more vibrant art communities I think it would be very hard to find 3 people to write on your behalf. Just one more way in which recommendations can skew towards a certain connected demographic. I think interviews are actually more useful because the faculty can actually get a feel for how the person would fit into the schools culture.

Thanks, it really won't be hard at all because most of my work is small and on paper and my parents actually live just outside of New Haven. I am not certain, but I think Yale interviews about 3 times as many people as they accept into the program, does anyone know if that is right?

Another thing I forgot to mention about UCLA not taking recommendation letters: for people who have been out of school for a longer time and haven't lived in big cities with more vibrant art communities I think it would be very hard to find 3 people to write on your behalf. Just one more way in which recommendations can skew towards a certain connected demographic. I think interviews are actually more useful because the faculty can actually get a feel for how the person would fit into the schools culture.

from what i understand it's about a 1 in 3 chance? 

When are you interviewing? I'm doing Tuesday.

The whole application process at every school is pretty frustrating because the management tools the schools use are too customizable. One school only uses Slideroom, another only ApplyYourself, then others Both. Neither piece of software is great, although I would happily take Slideroom over ApplyYourself anytime. Even my recommenders mentioned to me how frustrating it can be on their end because some schools send out e-mail confirmations that they received the recommendation while others do not. Why this hasn't been simplified yet is beyond me, ApplyYourself seems like it was made in 1999 and never updated, it's crazy.

That being said, I think that it is kind of nice that UCLA doesn't take recommendations. Sure, it is nice knowing that you have really good ones, but doesn't everyone? Generally people will not offer to write you a recommendation unless they feel comfortable writing a really positive one. So, with that being the case, they can become more political than anything else at some schools. This isn't to say I don't think they can be useful too, I just believe that your transcript, work, and own writing are a better indication of what kind of artist/student you will be. Also, if you take a look at the work coming out of UCLA, it's pretty clear they are doing something right.

I agree completely, but i think the process is so varied because of the fact that most graduate schools require all of their programs to comply with the general, non-art grad application. some programs are ok at navigating that requirement, others are terrible. shitty software aside, i also agree that UCLA is correct in not requiring letters of rec (and im surprised more programs havent followed suit). you summed it up nicely. 

ive heard that they interview somewhere between 65-70 and accept 20-22?

and not to be redundant, but congrats! of the work that ive seen on this forum, if anyone deserves a yale interview, its most definitely you. hope it goes well!

from what i understand it's about a 1 in 3 chance? 

When are you interviewing? I'm doing Tuesday.

I am on Wednesday afternoon.

I agree completely, but i think the process is so varied because of the fact that most graduate schools require all of their programs to comply with the general, non-art grad application. some programs are ok at navigating that requirement, others are terrible. shitty software aside, i also agree that UCLA is correct in not requiring letters of rec (and im surprised more programs havent followed suit). you summed it up nicely. 

ive heard that they interview somewhere between 65-70 and accept 20-22?

and not to be redundant, but congrats! of the work that ive seen on this forum, if anyone deserves a yale interview, its most definitely you. hope it goes well!

Thanks, I am sure you are going to be giving me a run for my money at UCLA, USC, and Rutgers. Congratulations on the interview at University of Chicago. I didn't research that program too much because I have lived in Chicago before and wasn't looking to move back, but I know Jessica Stockholder has taken over there now which is awesome. Also, the Renaissance Society always had really interesting shows and it's in a really nice space. I am sure you would be happy there.

hey guys!
i received a friendly phone call and email from UPenn for an interview.

also, i decided to apply to Notre Dame. i felt losemygrip's suggestion to apply to more schools wasn't a bad a idea.
i tried applying to Northern Illinois as well. but i unfortunately ran out of time.

Good luck to you all! and I look forward to hearing good news from everyone.

Thanks, I am sure you are going to be giving me a run for my money at UCLA, USC, and Rutgers. Congratulations on the interview at University of Chicago. I didn't research that program too much because I have lived in Chicago before and wasn't looking to move back, but I know Jessica Stockholder has taken over there now which is awesome. Also, the Renaissance Society always had really interesting shows and it's in a really nice space. I am sure you would be happy there.

thanks! yes, im very excited about u of c's program, hoping that goes well. i do really love the renaissance society and the hyde park art center, but ive been in the chicago area my whole life, so i can empathize.

Has anyone heard anything from:
RISD
U-Penn
School of Visual Arts NY

Boston University

Pratt

The Basel School of Design / University of Illinois at Chicago yet?

Why is February going by so slowly!

I thought choosing portfolio pieces and writing my statement and making my resume was the hard part.. The wait is worse!

anyone heard anything from Tyler? My application status is still at "Complete-Ready for review". Just curious of that means they have not started looking...?

They contacted me recently for an interview. I suppose timing also depends on what department you applied to.

hey guys!

i received a friendly phone call and email from UPenn for an interview.

also, i decided to apply to Notre Dame. i felt losemygrip's suggestion to apply to more schools wasn't a bad a idea.

i tried applying to Northern Illinois as well. but i unfortunately ran out of time.

Good luck to you all! and I look forward to hearing good news from everyone.

Me too! (re: UPenn)...it's the one school choice we have in common.

On 2/5/2013 at 5:28 PM, Mies23 said:

I heard Washington University in St. Louis starts sending admissions next week, so nervous....

Mies,  

When did you get a rejection letter from UCSB?  Did you apply for painting?  

anyone heard anything from Tyler? My application status is still at "Complete-Ready for review". Just curious of that means they have not started looking...?

I just got an acceptance letter and email today for the Graphic and Interactive Design MFA program. Has anyone else been accepted to Tyler? If so, have you gotten any financial aid info?

Mies,  

When did you get a rejection letter from UCSB?  Did you apply for painting?  

I applied for painting. I saw that people were getting acceptances and I hadn't heard anything back from them so I called last week and they told be that if I had any other offers it would be good to take them.

My friend in studio applied to Florida State University for Painting and he got this email last week:

"Congratulations! You have been nominated for the Adelaide Wilson Fellowship. This nomination comes as recognition of your potential to be successful artistically and academically at FSU."

but he hasn't received any official acceptance letter yet. We're wondering if anyone else got that email? Or if that's an informal acceptance notification?

Haha just gettin our hopes up over here. ya know.