MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

thanks emeliej!  that stinks that you missed the deadline for IUB, it seems like a great school.  that's good to know about Herron.  but march IS so far away!   i'm going to pry myself away and try to go to bed...

Ok.  more babbling. 

Is it terribly taboo and horrible form to email the head of a program to find out when decisions will be sent out...?  i met with the heads of both programs i applied to before i applied and theoretically could email them.... but i don't want to annoy them. 

argh i just need to go to bed.

Honestly sometimes it can be worse to know - it's better I think to get it out of the blue. If you're looking for a distraction, this residency has no app fee on it until Feb 15th: http://www.acreresidency.org/ and vermont studio center is also accepting applications til the 15th!

Ok.  more babbling. 

Is it terribly taboo and horrible form to email the head of a program to find out when decisions will be sent out...?  i met with the heads of both programs i applied to before i applied and theoretically could email them.... but i don't want to annoy them. 

argh i just need to go to bed.

I don't think "taboo" would be the right word.  It would be taboo to offer him money to let you in the program or something like that.  lol

They wouldn't think anything bad about you.  I'm sure there is someone doing it every day.  It could annoy them people are constantly calling day and night, but I doubt it.  I would come up with an excuse though... like a lot of your mail gets lost (?) so you just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it. (haha)

Actually, there are two times where I actually got ahead by calling/annoying people... one was for an art competition... I sent the judge an email asking if she had decided the winner yet and she sent me a nice email saying she was sorry it was taking so long... she had been really busy and out of town.... then a few hours later I got another email saying that I was the winner.  Well, I can't prove it but I think my email helped.  

Another time was for a job.  I called and asked about it, and the lady said she was literally just about to go through the applications when I called, then she called me back a few hours later with a job offer.  (I don't know if she thought that was a "sign" or something??)

Well, I know (hopefully) that Grad admissions don't operate like that, but at the same time, it could send subliminal messages that you REALLY want to go to their school, or that you are really ambitious, etc.  so who knows?  Just no matter what, whether it is email or phone, be super polite about it.

i havent listened to it either. i havent read Air Guitar, but i have read the better part of "The Invisible Dragon." I will admit that his writing is quite enjoyable/entertaining compared to most art criticism.

Dave Hickey is the man.

holy cow, i cant stand dave hickey's criticism/ideology

YES! He is real! Why most people cant stand him. 

@hwrios, i feel your pain re: name changes and transcripts.  i've been taking a few classes at the local university to build my portfolio, and the fools almost didn't admit me because they were too stupid to match up my maiden name on my transcript with my current name-- as stated on the application.  ugh.  i called twice asking why i hadn't been admitted and they insisted they didn't have my undergraduate transcript.  i insisted they did and just had to look under my maiden name.  they finally did and found my transcript.

SO... i was super paranoid about it happening again at the graduate schools i applied to.  herron was kind enough to confirm they received it, and IUB sent a form email saying they'll be in touch if anything was missing (which goes against what they said all the rest of the time...).....

i want to know if i am accepted or wait listed or whatever!!!  argh!!!!! 

someone on here said they actually called the admissions office to find out when decisions were being made... i am dying to do that but i'm afraid it could somehow hurt my chances.  besides, neither school would probably answer the phone and i wouldn't want to send an email.

if the deadline was 1/15 and i haven't heard anything yet, does that mean i wasn't accepted right off the bat...?

anyway.  enough babbling.

WHOA! Put on the breaks there cowboy! Its been only three weeks and you will either get the call or not. No sense getting all worked up about something. There are hundreds and hundreds of applicants to the top programs and it takes time to build a cohesive acceptance list. They do not just pick 'the best' students and thats it. They build a group that is dynamic, unique and has the potential 'as a group' to make 'great things' happen. 

So, people who just babble on about themselves and what they want and what they need and blah blah blah in their intent/statement are really just hurting your application. In the essays I submitted, I only touched briefly about what it is I actually needed from each specific program. Its about building a community and adding to that community. Doing good for the school and being a representative of that school. The list goes on and on and on but in the end you may think its about 'YOU' but its not. 

This forum is wonderful and terrible at the same time.  I remember being a wreck all spring last year waiting for word...and being on this forum just got me more and more amped up.  I had a duh moment yesterday (when I was nearing panic status) remembering that it took until APRIL to hear from most schools.  APRIL.

It's currently February.  We have a long wait ahead of us.  Here's to waiting and keeping perspective!!  Best of luck to us all!

So, people who just babble on about themselves and what they want and what they need and blah blah blah in their intent/statement are really just hurting your application. In the essays I submitted, I only touched briefly about what it is I actually needed from each specific program. Its about building a community and adding to that community. Doing good for the school and being a representative of that school. The list goes on and on and on but in the end you may think its about 'YOU' but its not. 

not sure what iknowyoudontcare is referring to here as it doesn't follow from the previous paragraph (even with the "so" added on).

also wanted to clarify that the school i'm taking classes at right now accepts everyone who meets their basic qualifications, which is why i was so insistent they find my transcript and admit me.

@hwrios, I, too, have benefited from being persistent!  but, yeah, maybe it's better not to know when we'll know, and to just get on with it.

Edited by Emoree

This forum is wonderful and terrible at the same time.  I remember being a wreck all spring last year waiting for word...and being on this forum just got me more and more amped up.  I had a duh moment yesterday (when I was nearing panic status) remembering that it took until APRIL to hear from most schools.  APRIL.

It's currently February.  We have a long wait ahead of us.  Here's to waiting and keeping perspective!!  Best of luck to us all!

yeah, true, but I researched my schools, and all the people on here in the past years heard from them by end of Feb, so I'm going to assume if i don't hear anything by april, then I'm rejected from all of them.

YES! He is real! Why most people cant stand him. 

i disagree. his 'realness' is the reason people know about him (and like him in your case?). his criticism/ideology and abounding over-generalizations/illogic is why most people cant stand him. dont get me wrong, im not in disagreement with an assertion that describes the 'art world' as full of harmful conditions and bleak circumstances, but neither is robert storr. dave hickey is a plain speaker. i can appreciate that, but not much else.

Edited by indigoconcord

lurker, here. have enjoyed the lively discourse on this forum. i'm only applying to one school; UC Davis. i honestly don't expect to get in, because my art is fairly 'normal' for contemporary art (think portraiture and landscape). but, hope springs eternal and i love being involved in an active art community.

there you have it! good luck to all!

Just got an email from University of Oregon wanting to talk to me on the weekend about the Photography program. I'm at work when I got it, I had to leave to get air being so excited. 

I replied that I was in New England area and may not have power or cell reception, but the best day was Sunday. Oh god please let me have cell reception on Sunday  :unsure:

Hey Hunter people,

Is it just me, or did the website (for the application) just completely change today?  I check that thing like everyday hoping they will update my transcripts, and today it looked completely different.  

Does this mean they are doing something with our applications now that made them want to change things?  hum.... 

Hey Hunter people,

Is it just me, or did the website (for the application) just completely change today?  I check that thing like everyday hoping they will update my transcripts, and today it looked completely different.  

Does this mean they are doing something with our applications now that made them want to change things?  hum.... 

Looks like Columbia's now, it is just a slight face lift but is still being run through ApplyYourself. My guess is it means nothing and they just wanted to wait till all the applications were in before shifting to this updated look. I wouldn't think anything about it.

Looks like Columbia's now, it is just a slight face lift but is still being run through ApplyYourself. My guess is it means nothing and they just wanted to wait till all the applications were in before shifting to this updated look. I wouldn't think anything about it.

what?  but i read into everything!  it's too boring not to.  

Hey everybody! Notified this morning about an interview for painting at VCU! Anyone else?

Also - is there anyone out there who has interviewed at Tyler or VCU before? Any ideas about how they do interviews would be much appreciated!

Yay!

Hey everybody! Notified this morning about an interview for painting at VCU! Anyone else?

Also - is there anyone out there who has interviewed at Tyler or VCU before? Any ideas about how they do interviews would be much appreciated!

Yay!

Congratulations!  Wow, 3/5, you're on a roll...

Congrats to everyone with good news and good luck in your interviews!

Has anyone heard back from printmaking/works on paper at Tyler or Hunter?

I know it is still early. Just getting anxious.

I have a friend who told me she got an interview at Tyler for printmaking. I am still waiting on Hunter for Works on Paper.

Hey everyone.  I'm tired of reading over the same stuff and I need a distraction.  Anyone want to tell me their fav. contemporary artist(preferably not that well known), or give a link to artists they like?  I love looking at art, especially new stuff.  

Some artists I love: 

Adehla Lee:    http://adehlalee.com/

Erika Osborne:    http://www.erikaosborne.com/

Lee Piechocki:     http://www.leepiechocki.com/

Esther Peal Watson:    http://cargocollective.com/ewatson

Congratulations!  Wow, 3/5, you're on a roll...

Rejected from Yale, so 2/5 at this point! Or 2/3 that I've heard from. Glad to get the bad news first. Dreading Columbia and Cornell's notifications....

ArsenicYellow- I was notified via email.

Glad I joined the forum after weeks of lurking. Really grateful for the moral support. Good luck to everyone!