MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

That's good to know; I'm only interviewing with Sculpture. It just sounds like a huge event, though I would guess that all makes it a lot of fun. Any recommendations for the interview? Thanks! I did apply for both. I'm eager to visit and get to know the different faculty. Looks like you are fairly interdisciplinary - has that made it difficult to know which departments to apply to? And congrats on UChicago! Good luck!

It did but I applied to painting when I had to choose and to Interdisciplinary when available. I hope that no matter where I go, the school foster interdisciplinary and collaborative making. I feel like most programs are moving in a direction that kind of dissolves the boundaries, right?

Just got an email for a phone interview with CCA (interdisciplinary). I am terrible on the phone so I am really going to have to prepare.

I am thinking Boulder must be bad news because other people have been hearing back and I haven't. I applied for Photography.

this silence is brutal. still nothing... from anyone. If a school has already sent out waitlist & interview emails, silence = rejection, yes? maybe?

Not necessarily...last year I applied to IU-Bloomington and saw on the forum people had been rejected and accepted to the program so I waited a couple more days to see if I received a letter then called the school.  They told me that they had made some decisions, but were still deciding on others.  I called again the next week and they still hadn't decided yet, I had to wait until the second week of April to get an official response.  Also sometimes programs do more than wave of interviews depending on how they like the first group of candidates, and my friend got into Mt. Royal last year off the waiting list without being granted an interview.

I know none of us wants false hope, but there's so little consistency program to program I don't think you can assume anything until you receive an official response from a program.

Is that video really Yale MFA?  Most of the paintings were so very very horrible!  I thought it was a joke.  

Everyone that was rejected from Yale--- be very glad!  

I did love the paintings at 7:30 though.

Edited by hwrios

Hey everyone.  

I'm feeling really worried about my grades now because I keep looking on the "results search" and it seems like everyone has like 3.8, 3.9 or 4.0!    I only have a 3.4 and I USED to think that was ok (and it is cum laude at my school) but now I feel like it's horrible and I'm wondering if i will be rejected right away just because of my GPA?  

If u are already getting acceptances/interviews, please tell me your GPA so i can feel better or worse.  :(  or anyone else want to tell theirs?  

Hey everyone.  

I'm feeling really worried about my grades now because I keep looking on the "results search" and it seems like everyone has like 3.8, 3.9 or 4.0!    I only have a 3.4 and I USED to think that was ok (and it is cum laude at my school) but now I feel like it's horrible and I'm wondering if i will be rejected right away just because of my GPA?  

If u are already getting acceptances/interviews, please tell me your GPA so i can feel better or worse.   :(  or anyone else want to tell theirs?  

I heard that they dont really care about GPAs, 3.0 and 2.9999999 is a BIG difference, but as long as you are above 3.0, you shouldn't be worried

Hey everyone.  

If u are already getting acceptances/interviews, please tell me your GPA so i can feel better or worse.   :(  or anyone else want to tell theirs?  

Yeah I've heard the same as jwu. In talking to the professors at the University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana, they said that as long as the applicant has a 3.0, they don't pay any attention to the gpa. And they said that even if it's a little lower than that, a strong portfolio can make up for it. No worries!

Not necessarily...last year I applied to IU-Bloomington and saw on the forum people had been rejected and accepted to the program so I waited a couple more days to see if I received a letter then called the school.  They told me that they had made some decisions, but were still deciding on others.  I called again the next week and they still hadn't decided yet, I had to wait until the second week of April to get an official response.  Also sometimes programs do more than wave of interviews depending on how they like the first group of candidates, and my friend got into Mt. Royal last year off the waiting list without being granted an interview.

I know none of us wants false hope, but there's so little consistency program to program I don't think you can assume anything until you receive an official response from a program.

That's comforting, so thank you for that. Guess all hope is not lost (yet). Waiting until mid April would be so rough! Don't most schools expect a decision by then? 

Gpa doesn't matter. Graduated with a 2.979 and every professor I've spoken To has told me not to worry. Out of everything, your portfolio and statement matter the most. Gpa wise, your art gpa is most important (mines a 3.6) not so much your overall. Hwrois, you keep finding more and more things to be worried about! Gpa and acceptance rates shouldn't be worrying you, those are the few things you have little to no control over at this point :)

this silence is brutal. still nothing... from anyone. If a school has already sent out waitlist & interview emails, silence = rejection, yes? maybe?

hey pie, the only school i know about on your list is u of chicago. dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you havent been contacted yet, theres probably not much hope. theyre interviewing 30 people for '8-10 spots' this week. an email or call to the program might be your best bet at this point.

Hello,

I thought I would join everybody still in limbo awating decisions. It's my first year applying to schools, and i was wondering if anybody knew when we will hear anything from RISD/Columbia?

Yale-rejected

Mass art- (interview 2/25)

Columbia-

RISD-

MICA-

Hello,

I thought I would join everybody still in limbo awating decisions. It's my first year applying to schools, and i was wondering if anybody knew when we will hear anything from RISD/Columbia?

Yale-rejected

Columbia-

RISD-

MICA-

Don't expect anything from Columbia until early next month.

well, I just found out that my stats. on Hunter must have been wrong because on their own website it says they get about 800 applications and accept about 80 students.  10% is WAY better than the 3% that was on those other stats, so that's kinda good...i guess.  (still 90% rejected though.)

appli-can thanks for posting that video--- what is UP with that guy's voice? 

Emoree - no problem.  It showed up on my FB feed.  I have NO idea what is up with his voice.   Glad you enjoyed it.

Is that video really Yale MFA? Most of the paintings were so very very horrible! I thought it was a joke.

Everyone that was rejected from Yale--- be very glad!

I did love the paintings at 7:30 though.

The way the program is structured at Yale is less about creating refined, finished, work and is more about experimentation and producing a lot so that your ideas can progress and change. As people figure out where there interests lay they can refine their processes and technique, but my understanding is that that isn't really what they are looking for at that program. That being said, I think there was some nice work in there, but it is pretty hard to tell anything from that jokey video.

Has anyone heard back from RISD-Painting, or the Royal College of Art-painting for interviews?

Hello,

Yale-rejected

Columbia-

RISD-

MICA-

If you check RISD's facebook admissions page, I asked about sculpture and they replied saying they wont be contacting people for interviews until a few more weeks :(

@ All RISD hopefuls:

On or before March 24th!

That's what it says on their facebook page so we have a long left time to wait!

I believe thats for departments without interviews. Sculpture department has interviews so they will most likely contact interview candidates much sooner than that.I'd say late feb-early march then final decision on or before march 24th. :/