MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

CONGRATS on both SAIC and on being an alternate at Alfred! I got my BFA from Alfred just as the IEA was being established and I'm going back for a residency this spring. 

Best of luck!

Thanks! Would you mind telling me a bit about the community at Alfred? It's my top choice, but I haven't gotten a chance to visit yet. Also, I've always lived in an urban environment and know nothing about small town life.

Almost done with my applications.. Just nervous about my portfolio since one of my professors e-mailed me about changes/saying some was weaker and that I have stronger images I should include instead. I sort of agree but I don't want to look "scattered" and rather show 2 series of images that are cohesive than including some images that may be stronger but don't work well with the rest. I have one series that I'm happy with and feel confident about and then I have more recent work that just isn't resolved yet. hmmm....

I'm applying to:

SAIC

VCU

Herron School of Art and Design

Wash. U (Saint Louis)

University of Florida

University of Arizona

for photo!

That home series is luscious. I love it...A very curious list of photo programs. But, I hope you get into SAIC or VCU. ;)

I wonder if anyone has heard back from the Painting Department At RISD.

no, not yet, still waiting....

I asked, and they told me that my file is currently under review, and they will be mailing out decision letters around the end of March.

but I would guess they should send out interview invites soon-ish, and interview ppl late February/the beginning of March, and send out the final final results to all applicants later??

someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by jwu

Just got an email from Cornell as a finalist for the MFA program, to set up an interview!!! Anybody else?

Damn, look at all those interviews. Way to go! Looks like you are going to be happy when this is all over.

Damn, look at all those interviews. Way to go! Looks like you are going to be happy when this is all over.

Yes, indeed. Wish Columbia would hurry up a bit... keep getting these irritating "Congratulations, you've applied!" and "FAFSA is due" emails in my inbox. 

Have you interviewed for Yale yet? If so, how'd it go? Glad I got that rejection out of the way early, congrats to you! And good luck! Do you have any work online?

Yes, indeed. Wish Columbia would hurry up a bit... keep getting these irritating "Congratulations, you've applied!" and "FAFSA is due" emails in my inbox. 

Have you interviewed for Yale yet? If so, how'd it go? Glad I got that rejection out of the way early, congrats to you! And good luck! Do you have any work online?

All the Yale interviews aren't until the end of March, so still a ways to go until then. My website is linked in my profile, my blog—which is linked from my website—has some newer stuff on it. I don't expect to hear back from Columbia for a while.

Good luck with all your interviews. Are you planning on traveling to each one? 

Edited by bengston

Rutgers applicants - did you send official transcripts from your undergraduate institution(s)?

im using my first stretch of free time since the app was submitted to review my applications. my Rutger's 'application status' page reads: "official transcript has not been received from _______." it also reads, as a general message in a different section: "It is your responsibility to ensure that all credentials required for review are available by the deadlines as stated" - yet, it does not say anywhere that my application is 'incomplete' (as other programs make abundantly clear if you are missing required material). I could not find anywhere on their labyrinth-of-a-website telling us that official transcripts are required with the initial application (i uploaded scans via pdf).

Rutgers applicants - did you send official transcripts from your undergraduate institution(s)?

im using my first stretch of free time since the app was submitted to review my applications. my Rutger's 'application status' page reads: "official transcript has not been received from _______." it also reads, as a general message in a different section: "It is your responsibility to ensure that all credentials required for review are available by the deadlines as stated" - yet, it does not say anywhere that my application is 'incomplete' (as other programs make abundantly clear if you are missing required material). I could not find anywhere on their labyrinth-of-a-website telling us that official transcripts are required with the initial application (i uploaded scans via pdf).

Looking at my notes it seems that, yes, you were supposed to send in an official transcript to Rutgers ahead of time.

Sorry, that really sucks. I would send it in now and hope for the best. Good luck.

This is where I sent mine:

Graduate Admissions

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

18 Bishop Place

New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8530, U.S.A.

Edited by bengston

Looking at my notes it seems that, yes, you were supposed to send in an official transcript to Rutgers ahead of time.

Sorry, that really sucks. I would send it in now and hope for the best. Good luck.

This is where I sent mine:

Graduate Admissions

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

18 Bishop Place

New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8530, U.S.A.

wow, i suck. calling them immediately after work.

All the Yale interviews aren't until the end of March, so still a ways to go until then. My website is linked in my profile, my blog—which is linked from my website—has some newer stuff on it. I don't expect to hear back from Columbia for a while.

Good luck with all your interviews. Are you planning on traveling to each one? 

Oooh wow, your work is great. Not surprised that you got the interview from Yale. Good luck! 

I am travelling to Tyler and Cornell. They both said that it was recommended but not required. I think it makes a better impression to travel there if one can... and if I get in, I'd visit anyways, I didn't visit any schools before applying! I live in Vermont, so neither is too far. VCU only gave me the opportunity to do Skype or phone, so I am doing Skype. 

You travelling to Yale?

...official transcripts are required with the initial application (i uploaded scans via pdf).

You may have a shot with this, as they can view your transcripts even if they don't have the official docs. Some schools send "official PDFs" now, but I don't know if Rutgers accepts them or if your undergrad school sends them, etc. I'd email the director of the program and explain the documents are in the mail. My schools always mail transcripts quickly once ordered. Good luck.

Oooh wow, your work is great. Not surprised that you got the interview from Yale. Good luck! 

I am travelling to Tyler and Cornell. They both said that it was recommended but not required. I think it makes a better impression to travel there if one can... and if I get in, I'd visit anyways, I didn't visit any schools before applying! I live in Vermont, so neither is too far. VCU only gave me the opportunity to do Skype or phone, so I am doing Skype. 

You travelling to Yale?

Yeah, Yale is just a short hop from where I grew up. I plan on travelling to any school I get an interview at. I already have this much invested, what's one more swipe of the credit card?

Seeing the schools when you visit them should be really interesting, I feel like each time I have visited a different program my mental rankings have shifted. It also just made me excited about attending any one of the schools I am applying to.

Good luck.

wow, i suck. calling them immediately after work.

one of my official transcripts was never received, and I found out about 2 weeks after the official deadline. fedex-ed another copy over night...

i hope that they will still take yours, even it is late!