MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

NICE. 

I used to live in Pacific Heights then moved to Santa Cruz for university studies. 

go banana slugs.

ideally, my husband and i would both get into davis (we would love to stay north). but he's already been accepted into ucla for a phd in engineering (yeah, i married one of those), so we'll see!

On 2/16/2013 at 3:56 PM, emeliej said:

just got a call from washu! accepted! wohooooo! so relieved :)

Me too! definitely takes some of the pressure off...are you going to the visit day March 1?

Me too! definitely takes some of the pressure off...are you going to the visit day March 1?
awesome! yes I think I'll definitely make the trip. my boyfriend currently lives there so it's pretty convenient haha

You had some interesting posts which I found very useful earlier on.

I don't understand your point or goal in making some of your most recent posts (I am sure you aren't trying to be a troll! :D )

Of course everyone has political views and personal subjective opinions on others....

I would certainly be interested in posts where you are providing information on grad schools and your experience of them because that is what this thread is about.

You had mentionned that you were going to a school and then stopped?

If you have any of your work you'd like to share that would be great.

Anyway, wishing you all the best and hope you get into whatever schools you want to this time around.

Are you kidding? All caps? All hot buttons? Total troll. 

OMG!!!!!!!!!

I just got an email from Ohio University....accepted!!!!!!!!(painting/drawing)           yay!!!!  

I can't believe it because today i was feeling so crappy and pathetic.  They also said they were "extremely impressed" with my application.  I don't know if they tell that to everyone, but it sure made my day.   :)   They also said I would get another letter in a few weeks with funding info., which I'm really hoping will be good, because on their website they say they have "over 3/4 of a million dollars" for Grad students in the school of art each year.  

any news about MICA interviews??

this is what I found on their website:

"Admission finalists are selected by the Graduate Review Committee between February and late March 2013. Unless otherwise specified, most finalists are asked to participate in an admission interview with program faculty. Interviews are hosted between February 4 and March 8, 2013 and can be conducted either in person or via Skype."

people who have interviews set up? people who already interviewed??

OMG!!!!!!!!!

I just got an email from Ohio University....accepted!!!!!!!!(painting/drawing) yay!!!!

I can't believe it because today i was feeling so crappy and pathetic. They also said they were "extremely impressed" with my application. I don't know if they tell that to everyone, but it sure made my day. :) They also said I would get another letter in a few weeks with funding info., which I'm really hoping will be good, because on their website they say they have "over 3/4 of a million dollars" for Grad students in the school of art each year.

Congratulations!

any news about MICA interviews??

this is what I found on their website:

"Admission finalists are selected by the Graduate Review Committee between February and late March 2013. Unless otherwise specified, most finalists are asked to participate in an admission interview with program faculty. Interviews are hosted between February 4 and March 8, 2013 and can be conducted either in person or via Skype."

people who have interviews set up? people who already interviewed??

which program did you apply for?

Hoffberger started interviews last week (in person and skype) but Mt. Royal interview requests started going out very recently. Some programs don't interview at all!

Edit: A friend in Hoffberger told me they were in the process of interviewing and fairly far in, but I don't remember what day that was. It was about a week ago.

Edited by Erpnope

Any news about design yet at MICA? I have Interviews scheduled for both yale and cranbrook and Im anxious to get the news so a can plan it all. My march is already looking hectic with final solo shows for graduation and the two interviews all only 2.5 weeks apart...

Any news about design yet at MICA? I have Interviews scheduled for both yale and cranbrook and Im anxious to get the news so a can plan it all. My march is already looking hectic with final solo shows for graduation and the two interviews all only 2.5 weeks apart...

Yup, heard from MICA Friday morning (back a few pages).  Requested interview through Skype, or in person March 1st or 8th.

which program did you apply for?

Hoffberger started interviews last week (in person and skype) but Mt. Royal interview requests started going out very recently. Some programs don't interview at all!

Edit: A friend in Hoffberger told me they were in the process of interviewing and fairly far in, but I don't remember what day that was. It was about a week ago.

thanks,

so I haven't heard anything from them, i assume it is a rejection then...

Has anyone heard from Columbia College Chicago or Bard (not ICP-Bard) yet? I know Bard interviews. Not sure about Columbia College, though. 

It looks like a few of us are waitlisted at UIC (Seems like they have a total of about 4 or 5 people in their incoming classes.) Anyone have any insight into when we might hear back about our status?

Has anyone heard from Columbia College Chicago or Bard (not ICP-Bard) yet? I know Bard interviews. Not sure about Columbia College, though. 

It looks like a few of us are waitlisted at UIC (Seems like they have a total of about 4 or 5 people in their incoming classes.) Anyone have any insight into when we might hear back about our status?

If you are waitlisted you will only get notification if someone turns them down.  Since most schools require April 15th as a deadline, you might hear back around then.

for those familiar with the SAIC interview process - what is the appropriate amount of work to bring? 

Thanks! 

I think it really depends. My boyfriend brought in no work last year because he was traveling by plane, and didn't want to damage any works in the process. He did however bring images of new works he created. He said they seemed really impressed by the newer work, even though it was only in image form. In the end he was accepted, so I guess not bringing in work didn't affect his chances. My advice would bring as much as you can comfortably carry. 

Edited by Sseu

I think it really depends. My boyfriend brought in no work last year because he was traveling by plane, and didn't want to damage any works in the process. He did however bring images of new works he created. He said they seemed really impressed by the newer work, even though it was only in image form. In the end he was accepted, so I guess not bringing in work didn't affect his chances. My advice would bring as much as you can comfortably carry. 

Thank you! that is very good to know. 

Bard sends notifications at right about this time. I don't have info about when interview requests go out, but I'd assume it would be very soon, like Monday soon.

Hi everybody, another lurker making his first post. As we all wait for our decisions I thought I would help give some insight into the UCSB program since I have read that some people are interested, accepted, or awaiting application status. I am an undergrad here at UCSB and was planning to apply to the grad program but was informed that they rarely -almost never- take their own undergrads here. If not for that bit of information I would definitely be applying to this program.

Having said that here is what I know about our grad program.

Very conceptual program- There is a lot of theory that is involved in the making of art here. This can be good or bad depending on how you want to make and speak about art. I have noticed that some people flourish while others feel a bit out of place because of the emphasis that is placed on conceptual reasoning.

Studios- Grads have big awesome studios. I didn't realize this until I went to visit other schools and saw how small their studios were when compared to ours -even our undergrad honors studios are big-.

Funding- from what I understand this program has great funding but involves TA positions.

Location- The school is essentially right on the beach. Beautiful weather most of the year. Santa Barbara is not home to a ground breaking art scene but is only about 2 hrs from LA. Santa Barbara does have The Contemporary Arts Forum which has interesting things going on.    

Facilities- The last two years the art department has been getting renovated but this will be done in the next few months. The woodshop and Atrium are fantastic and have everything you need to build whatever your heart desires. They each have a dedicated employee which can show you how to use any tool that you may need training on.

Overall I think this is a fantastic school which I would apply to if they accepted their own undergrads (they want their students to grow by getting feedback from as many different influences as possible). I love the faculty, facilities, location, and overall school. I would encourage anyone to seriously consider this program if they are accepted. However, I think it is important to once again point out the conceptual nature of this program because it is such a big part of it, and if you are not interested in exploring those aspects of your work this may not be the one for you.

If anyone has questions about the school/area I would be glad to answer them.

Good luck everybody!

^^^^^^^^^^^^   Can you define what you believe to be or what makes the school 'conceptual in nature'
This seems like a pretty ignorant question to ask on a forum full of potential graduate students in the field... Maybe this would be a more appropriate and information-gaining question: "Does the school subscribe to a particular theoretical ideology or does it simply stress intellectual pursuits over formal execution?"