MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

just got a call from university of arizona - accepted (albeit not officially since they couldn't do that over phone)

didn't realize it was a 3year program though. I think that's mostly a good thing but I've been pretty set on 2 years.. oh well, funding will probably decide for me!

Got the phone call and email- accepted to Wash U (painting/drawing). Super excited, but super anxious to hear back from my remaining 4 schools......

Anyone going to open house next Friday the 1st?

:)

congrats! I'm going :)

I applied to printmedia and have yet to hear back.  

Have any printmakers heard from anywhere??? 

Still waiting for RISD, Columbia, and Hunter. Also applied to CalArts and MICA Mt. Royal - but it sounds like those interview requests have already gone out? Am I right about that? 

Still waiting for RISD, Columbia, and Hunter. Also applied to CalArts and MICA Mt. Royal - but it sounds like those interview requests have already gone out? Am I right about that? 

I asked MICA about their interviews. this is what they replied me:

An admissions interview is not a pre-requisite for admission to MICA's graduate programs in general. So not receiving an admissions interview is not an official rejection. 
The reviews are ongoing throughout the month of February, and interviews are conducting on a rolling basis. Final decisions are made in the beginning of March, and will be mailed shortly thereafter.

do they mean what I think they mean by "ongoing"???

just got a call from university of arizona - accepted (albeit not officially since they couldn't do that over phone)

didn't realize it was a 3year program though. I think that's mostly a good thing but I've been pretty set on 2 years.. oh well, funding will probably decide for me!

Congrats!

I got accepted there too, did the faculty who called you happen to mention when they're going to notify about funding? That's going to be a big part of my decision making too, bu maybe I'll see you there!

Congrats!

I got accepted there too, did the faculty who called you happen to mention when they're going to notify about funding? That's going to be a big part of my decision making too, bu maybe I'll see you there!

congrats to you too! what medium?

no they just said that they would forward their decision to graduate admission and that I would get an official letter in the mail and scholarship info later on. didn't give a timeline though..

just got an email about phone interview from VCU! eeeeeek. so nervous. I have mild phone phobia.. plus I'm terrible at interviews. ugh.. any advice?

That's brilliant! My wife mentioned being quite fond of your photographs.

VCU is my top choice for painting. When did you submit your application?

Edited by ptsd-2013

Got the phone call and email- accepted to Wash U (painting/drawing). Super excited, but super anxious to hear back from my remaining 4 schools......

Anyone going to open house next Friday the 1st? 

:)

Congrats!  Seems like you have more options coming ahead. I applied only three schools so I don't really expect any good news  this year. Good luck to you, anyway!

An admissions interview is not a pre-requisite for admission to MICA's graduate programs in general. So not receiving an admissions interview is not an official rejection. 

The reviews are ongoing throughout the month of February, and interviews are conducting on a rolling basis. Final decisions are made in the beginning of March, and will be mailed shortly thereafter.

do they mean what I think they mean by "ongoing"???

Some programs interview in rounds, but whether they do is based on how they feel about the first round of applicants.  I know  Hoffberger and Mt. Royal at MICA both only did one round of interviews last year.   It is possible to get on the waitlist at MICA without being given interview, and people do get in off the waiting list but admissions people aren't necessarily going to be realistic with you about your chances until they are ready to officially accept/reject you or put you on a waiting list.  This is partially because they want to keep their options open and often the people you are speaking with when you call are administrators, not people directly involved in the decision process.

The truth is not being granted an interview for any of the studio programs at MICA doesn't  mean you're rejected, but it does mean you're not on the top of their list so chances of admission aren't great at this point.