MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Hey everyone.  I'm tired of reading over the same stuff and I need a distraction.  Anyone want to tell me their fav. contemporary artist(preferably not that well known), or give a link to artists they like?  I love looking at art, especially new stuff.  

Some artists I love: 

Adehla Lee:    http://adehlalee.com/

Erika Osborne:    http://www.erikaosborne.com/

Lee Piechocki:     http://www.leepiechocki.com/

Esther Peal Watson:    http://cargocollective.com/ewatson

John Hodany: http://www.johnhodany.com/

Anton van Dalen: http://www.antonvandalen.com/

Joshua Marsh: http://joshuamarsh.com/

Dave Hardy: http://www.davehardystudio.com/

Hey everybody! Notified this morning about an interview for painting at VCU! Anyone else?

Also - is there anyone out there who has interviewed at Tyler or VCU before? Any ideas about how they do interviews would be much appreciated!

Yay!

Hello everyone! I have tried to resist visiting online forums, thinking that the wait would not be so terrible if I could busy myself but I just couldn't hold out! Anyways, lovely work and good luck all around! 

gweaver, I interviewed for VCU painting last year and was waitlisted. Holding out hope for a second chance (fingers crossed). Congratulations! The interview last year was a choice between skype or phone call, two faculty members, pretty straight forward questioning and very comfortable personalities. I am sure you will do well. They were very fun to talk to!

Hope that is some help. 

Dartmouth contacted me today to postpone interview until next Friday (huge blizzard hitting is in Boston tomorrow). He did tell me they liked my work and that I may end up hearing from them before the interview because they are being pressured to make their final decisions as early as possible. So that made me feel a bit better after the rough interview with massart.

I am re-posting this from another thread, i think it was from last year.  If anyone wants to come over to my house to cry with me, bring some baileys and a box of tissues please.

TOP GROUP (the most selective)

1st 
Columbia(Visual arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 1,052 applicants, 2% accepted, 26 enrolled.

2nd
USC(Fine Art)
Average age 27. 312 applicants, 3% accepted, 8 enrolled.

UCLA(Department of Art)
703 applicants, 3% accepted, 14 enrolled.

NYU (Studio Art)
Average age 29. 337 applicants, 3% accepted, 9 enrolled

3rd
RISD (Painting)
Student Statistics: Average age 29. 372 applicants, 4% accepted, 10 enrolled

GROUP A ( highly selective)

Yale ( School of Art)
Average age 28. 1,222 applicants, 5% accepted, 57 enrolled

Hunter (Studio Art)
Average age 30. 766 applicants, 5% accepted, 22 enrolled

Tyler (Painting & Sculpture)
Student Statistics: 226 applicants, 8% accepted, 13 enrolled

SAIC (painting)
Student Statistics: 524 applicants, 9% accepted, 29 enrolled.

GROUP B (selective)

Calarts- School of art
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 383 applicants, 17% accepted, 38 enrolled

VCU- School of art
Student Statistics: 907 applicants, 18% accepted, 92 enrolled

GROUP C (relatively selective)

Parson (Fine Arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 27. 242 applicants, 26% accepted, 22 enrolled

SVA (Fine Arts)
Student Statistics: Average age 29. 408 applicants, 27% accepted, 32 enrolled.
Cranbrook (Fine arts)
Average age 27. 430 applicants, 30% accepted, 71 enrolled

GROUP D (you can go)

Pratt (Fine art)
Average age 28. 355 applicants, 46% accepted, 65 enrolled

Just had my interview with massart. Oh boy, I managed to sound so dumb. Expecting to be wait listed or rejected. At least it was a great experience. Got 3 of their business cards so I plan to keep in touch. The 2-3 week wait will be tough.

hey -- did you hear when they will be going through other departments for interviews? by any chance?? I applied for 3D/ceramics. How was your interview-- any good questions?? 

Best of luck to you!

I am re-posting this from another thread, i think it was from last year. If anyone wants to come over to my house to cry with me, bring some baileys and a box of tissues please.

1st

Columbia(Visual arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 1,052 applicants, 2% accepted, 26 enrolled.

2nd

USC(Fine Art)

Average age 27. 312 applicants, 3% accepted, 8 enrolled.

UCLA(Department of Art)

703 applicants, 3% accepted, 14 enrolled.

NYU (Studio Art)

Average age 29. 337 applicants, 3% accepted, 9 enrolled

3rd

RISD (Painting)

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 372 applicants, 4% accepted, 10 enrolled

Yale ( School of Art)

Average age 28. 1,222 applicants, 5% accepted, 57 enrolled

Hunter (Studio Art)

Average age 30. 766 applicants, 5% accepted, 22 enrolled

Student Statistics: 226 applicants, 8% accepted, 13 enrolled

SAIC (painting)

Student Statistics: 524 applicants, 9% accepted, 29 enrolled.

GROUP B (selective)

Calarts- School of art

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 383 applicants, 17% accepted, 38 enrolled

VCU- School of art

Student Statistics: 907 applicants, 18% accepted, 92 enrolled

Parson (Fine Arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 242 applicants, 26% accepted, 22 enrolled

SVA (Fine Arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 408 applicants, 27% accepted, 32 enrolled.

Cranbrook (Fine arts)

Average age 27. 430 applicants, 30% accepted, 71 enrolled

GROUP D (you can go)

Pratt (Fine art)

Average age 28. 355 applicants, 46% accepted, 65 enrolled

Yeah... when I mentioned the acceptance rates of my top choice schools to my mother she had a very concerned look on her face.

I am surprised to see that Cranbrook has such a high acceptance rate considering its reputation. I didn't want to move out there so I didn't research it much, do they not have more applicants because of cost?

Does anyone know the rough acceptance rates for Rutgers and Bard? Probably also in the single digits I would assume.

Edited by bengston

Yeah... when I mentioned the acceptance rates of my top choice schools to my mother she had a very concerned look on her face.

I am surprised to see that Cranbrook has such a high acceptance rate considering its reputation. I didn't want to move out there so I didn't research it much, do they not have more applicants because of cost?

Does anyone know the rough acceptance rates for Rutgers and Bard? Probably also in the single digits I would assume.

you can find lots of info on this site. do a search for the schools you are interested in.

best of luck to you!

rutgers

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/rutgers-the-state-university-of-new-jersey-new-brunswick-mason-gross-school-of-the-arts-program-in-visual-arts-000_10028628.aspx

bard

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/bard-college-milton-avery-graduate-school-of-the-arts-000_10038831.aspx#GradDegreesAwards

wow.  I did the Peterson's search and it was even worse (for my schools) than what I posted above.  The rates for my schools were 1.5%, 3% and my "safety" school (or so I thought) is 12% !!!

Wow.  I have a feeling I'll be back on here next year. :(

wow.  I did the Peterson's search and it was even worse (for my schools) than what I posted above.  The rates for my schools were 1.5%, 3% and my "safety" school (or so I thought) is 12% !!!

Wow.  I have a feeling I'll be back on here next year. :(

Me tooooooo. ㅠㅠ

Me tooooooo. ㅠㅠ

I looked up the (only) school I applied to, Ohio State and they have no admissions data reported. Bummer.

The average acceptance age across the board looks like 27. I'm 27 but I am also just graduating from undergrad. Does anyone know if they look at your age? I would think it would be better (only speaking to age/maturity) that I'm older than other average freshly graduated from undergrad applicants, but only unless they were to notice.

I am re-posting this from another thread, i think it was from last year.  If anyone wants to come over to my house to cry with me, bring some baileys and a box of tissues please.

1st 

Columbia(Visual arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 1,052 applicants, 2% accepted, 26 enrolled.

2nd

USC(Fine Art)

Average age 27. 312 applicants, 3% accepted, 8 enrolled.

UCLA(Department of Art)

703 applicants, 3% accepted, 14 enrolled.

NYU (Studio Art)

Average age 29. 337 applicants, 3% accepted, 9 enrolled

3rd

RISD (Painting)

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 372 applicants, 4% accepted, 10 enrolled

Yale ( School of Art)

Average age 28. 1,222 applicants, 5% accepted, 57 enrolled

Hunter (Studio Art)

Average age 30. 766 applicants, 5% accepted, 22 enrolled

Student Statistics: 226 applicants, 8% accepted, 13 enrolled

SAIC (painting)

Student Statistics: 524 applicants, 9% accepted, 29 enrolled.

GROUP B (selective)

Calarts- School of art

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 383 applicants, 17% accepted, 38 enrolled

VCU- School of art

Student Statistics: 907 applicants, 18% accepted, 92 enrolled

Parson (Fine Arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 27. 242 applicants, 26% accepted, 22 enrolled

SVA (Fine Arts)

Student Statistics: Average age 29. 408 applicants, 27% accepted, 32 enrolled.

Cranbrook (Fine arts)

Average age 27. 430 applicants, 30% accepted, 71 enrolled

GROUP D (you can go)

Pratt (Fine art)

Average age 28. 355 applicants, 46% accepted, 65 enrolled

I also found that at the information sessions that I attended the schools said their acceptance rates were lower than this list - for example I recall Pratt saying they had like a 10% acceptance rate and also SVA saying they had a lower acceptance rate... sorry I don't have the exact numbers, but just fyi.

what have you applied for i am photo also waiting on answer from risd do you have any idea about when they let people know... btw dd gou got email about that deadline for fafsa is feb 15

i'm applying for mfa graphic design or similar programmes.. i got an email from them about a financial aid form..

according to risd's admissions facebook, they'll let us know on or before the 24th of march!

what have you applied for i am photo also waiting on answer from risd do you have any idea about when they let people know... btw dd gou got email about that deadline for fafsa is feb 15

i'm applying for mfa graphic design or similar programmes.. i got an email from them about a financial aid form..

according to risd's admissions facebook, they'll let us know on or before the 24th of march!

Don't count yourself out. That may mean they just straight up accepted you? Do they interview everyone? I imagine they don't interview people they really know they want, like, perhaps you!

Aww thanks :$ that made me feel better :D even though I'm sure they always interview applicants :P

Have you heard back from upenn yet? what programme are u applying for?

There is a Facebook risd admissions page where you can ask them any question. I do know they typically intrview for sculpture applicants but they won't be contacting people until two weeks or so. I assume the timeline is similar for graphic designers but can always ask them.

Hi all,

Thanks for posting up all this admissions related info.

Here is my school list and related info.

Applied to all Sculpture or Visual Art programs.

Good cheers and best of luck.

UCLA
CSULA

UC Riverside

OTIS

UC Boulder (notified of skype interview on the 29th of Jan-interview on the 20th of Feb)

UGA

AC+D

Edited by tilt@jjfab

A friend of mine who is also applying for painting was notified via email notification of an interview for Portland State (don't know if anyone is waiting to hear from them). What a long month. 

I know someone who was interviewed for Portland State some years ago and got wait listed....then was contacted IN JULY with an acceptance! Isn't that nuts. At that point, wouldn't the majority of people have moved on or be going to another school in August?

I also found that at the information sessions that I attended the schools said their acceptance rates were lower than this list - for example I recall Pratt saying they had like a 10% acceptance rate and also SVA saying they had a lower acceptance rate... sorry I don't have the exact numbers, but just fyi.

Yeah...you have to be careful with Petersons, because you can often search by the whole department (Art + Design...etc.) OR by program/concentration (Painting, Sculpture...etc.), and the numbers are often dramatically different. 

So, yeah, VCU's acceptance rate for painting is actually much lower than the overall department rate of 18%. I expect that Cranbrook's acceptance rate for the most competitive concentrations are also much lower than 30%. So, If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I would obviously trust the program's website over Peterson's if there is a discrepancy between the two.  With that said, I am extremely glad that websites like Peterson's are out there, as it certainly helped me narrow down my list. 

I know someone who was interviewed for Portland State some years ago and got wait listed....then was contacted IN JULY with an acceptance! Isn't that nuts. At that point, wouldn't the majority of people have moved on or be going to another school in August?

Last year SVA accepted me from the waitlist 2 weeks before the semester started! 

Any word yet from Cornell or Columbia? Noticed that something changed today on my Application Status page for Columbia - my transcript now reads as "Received," meaning apparently that they have reviewed my application. Yikes! Starting to freak out....