MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

"Collectors have had an insidious effect on young artists. They move into graduate schools and offer these kids ridiculous amounts of money. The result is that even art students focus on what sells and continue to produce that kind of work, rather than experiment, which is what they ought to do."

How Uptown Money Kills Downtown Art

Just had my interview with massart. Oh boy, I managed to sound so dumb. Expecting to be wait listed or rejected. At least it was a great experience. Got 3 of their business cards so I plan to keep in touch. The 2-3 week wait will be tough.

They'd be FOOLS to reject you. Your work is awesome! 

iknowyoudontcare-

Great article thanks for posting this!

If I get hits on my website by one of the colleges I applied to, and I didn't provide my website in the application, is that a good indicator of their interest? or Is that a common occurence and i'm getting my hopes up over nothing?

charliecunninghamart.com

Edited by gerthless

iknowyoudontcare-

Great article thanks for posting this!

If I get hits on my website by one of the colleges I applied to, and I didn't provide my website in the application, is that a good indicator of their interest? or Is that a common occurence and i'm getting my hopes up over nothing?

charliecunninghamart.com

They either googled you or were on this forum (some of last years posts mentioned this-if i'm not mistaken). I was clearly googled before one of my interviews last year as they mentioned a piece on my website that wasn't in my application. Any interest is good interest as far as I'm concerned :) I say look on the upside definitely! 

I feel your pain. My boss actually asked me to go home early today as he could see I was in such turmoil over this.

A glass of wine cures all. Hope you're feeling better- Cheers!

Edited by LovelyPainter

Just had my interview with massart. Oh boy, I managed to sound so dumb. Expecting to be wait listed or rejected. At least it was a great experience. Got 3 of their business cards so I plan to keep in touch. The 2-3 week wait will be tough.

I'm sure you did better than you thought. :-)

I'm still waiting to hear back from them, and getting a tad worried. Of course, the completion of my application was held up by one of my transcript schools. They took a longer winter break than normal and my transcript trickled in late. :-( MassArt didn't consider my app fully complete until after the deadline. *sigh*

I'm sure you did better than you thought. :-)

I'm still waiting to hear back from them, and getting a tad worried. Of course, the completion of my application was held up by one of my transcript schools. They took a longer winter break than normal and my transcript trickled in late. :-( MassArt didn't consider my app fully complete until after the deadline. *sigh*

Just because your transcripts were late, they didnt look at your application? Sounds Lame.

Did MassArt use slide room? I wonder if all the schools check to make sure the applications are complete with the University before looking at the images and reviewing the essays. Seems bogus not to let someone into your program over a technicality. 

Yep! :-)

today's our internal deadline.. i'm stumped on the 'how does your art express you' short answer question. I know it's an easy one but I feel like the narrative autobiography covers this? Or maybe I'm wrong?

today's our internal deadline.. i'm stumped on the 'how does your art express you' short answer question. I know it's an easy one but I feel like the narrative autobiography covers this? Or maybe I'm wrong?

You say: 'It doesn't. Why does everything have to be about me?'

Careful... its a trick question!!!

ITUNES

School of Visual Arts

Lectures - MFA Art Criticism & Writing

Dave Hickey

The Most Informative 60 minutes about Art

Everyone contributing/trolling this site should listen. 

Another iknowyoudontcare freebie!!!

ITUNES

School of Visual Arts

Dave Hickey

Dave Hickey is the man.

I checked my application status for OSU and it said that my application for admission was not accepted, so I guess that's a rejection. Haven't heard anything else from any school - SIIIIGH. 

I think that's a rude way for them to let you know...considering all the work (and $$$) you put into applying.

Just because your transcripts were late, they didnt look at your application? Sounds Lame.

Did MassArt use slide room? I wonder if all the schools check to make sure the applications are complete with the University before looking at the images and reviewing the essays. Seems bogus not to let someone into your program over a technicality. 

It does seem bogus...but that's the picture I'm getting: that small technicalities are ways to weed out applicants. Sad. Somethings are beyond our control.

Hello! I'm late to the game in joining this discussion- I'm here to see if there is any information/advice for Penn Design's MFA interview? I was just contacted, and scheduled my interview today, and was wondering if anyone had any insight. Thank you! Good luck to everyone!

It does seem bogus...but that's the picture I'm getting: that small technicalities are ways to weed out applicants. Sad. Somethings are beyond our control.

NOOOO!!!! 

This is what i'm scared of!   I've been having problems with schools getting my paperwork bc i've had 3 last names since my first college 10 years ago.   I'm seriously thinking that one school just got sick of me emailing and calling them about it.  Finally they were like, "If you get invited to an interview, you can just bring your transcripts then";   I think i read way too much into it.  Here is how I read it: "We don't give a **** about your transcripts.  Leave us alone because we already threw every thing else in the trash".   

Yeah, I'm not freaking out or anything am I?  

ITUNES

School of Visual Arts

Dave Hickey

Dave Hickey is the man.

holy cow, i cant stand dave hickey's criticism/ideology

I haven't listened to the thing iknowyoudontcare posted, but I really enjoyed Air Guitar.

i havent listened to it either. i havent read Air Guitar, but i have read the better part of "The Invisible Dragon." I will admit that his writing is quite enjoyable/entertaining compared to most art criticism.

NOOOO!!!! 

This is what i'm scared of!   I've been having problems with schools getting my paperwork bc i've had 3 last names since my first college 10 years ago.   I'm seriously thinking that one school just got sick of me emailing and calling them about it.  Finally they were like, "If you get invited to an interview, you can just bring your transcripts then";   I think i read way too much into it.  Here is how I read it: "We don't give a **** about your transcripts.  Leave us alone because we already threw every thing else in the trash".   

Yeah, I'm not freaking out or anything am I?  

I would like to say you're just freaking out...but I've been through a sort of mini hell because of bureaucratic stuff like that. I'm setting my expectations low so I'm not too disappointed. In an ideal world, it'd be about the art work.

Edited by bots

@hwrios, i feel your pain re: name changes and transcripts.  i've been taking a few classes at the local university to build my portfolio, and the fools almost didn't admit me because they were too stupid to match up my maiden name on my transcript with my current name-- as stated on the application.  ugh.  i called twice asking why i hadn't been admitted and they insisted they didn't have my undergraduate transcript.  i insisted they did and just had to look under my maiden name.  they finally did and found my transcript.

SO... i was super paranoid about it happening again at the graduate schools i applied to.  herron was kind enough to confirm they received it, and IUB sent a form email saying they'll be in touch if anything was missing (which goes against what they said all the rest of the time...).....

i want to know if i am accepted or wait listed or whatever!!!  argh!!!!! 

someone on here said they actually called the admissions office to find out when decisions were being made... i am dying to do that but i'm afraid it could somehow hurt my chances.  besides, neither school would probably answer the phone and i wouldn't want to send an email.

if the deadline was 1/15 and i haven't heard anything yet, does that mean i wasn't accepted right off the bat...?

anyway.  enough babbling.

Ok.  more babbling. 

Is it terribly taboo and horrible form to email the head of a program to find out when decisions will be sent out...?  i met with the heads of both programs i applied to before i applied and theoretically could email them.... but i don't want to annoy them. 

argh i just need to go to bed.

someone on here said they actually called the admissions office to find out when decisions were being made... i am dying to do that but i'm afraid it could somehow hurt my chances.  besides, neither school would probably answer the phone and i wouldn't want to send an email.

if the deadline was 1/15 and i haven't heard anything yet, does that mean i wasn't accepted right off the bat...?

anyway.  enough babbling.

Emoree - I applied to herron as well. from last years thread it seemed like people got acceptances in early march so no reason to assume you weren't accepted due to the jan. 15 deadline. don't know about IUB though. I went to one of their photo critiques in the fall and I wanted to apply but the international deadline was like dec. 1 and I missed it.

anyways, march seems soooo far away! i'm worse than ever when it comes to obsessively checking my email. gaah!