MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

yale funds students according to personal and parental income. if youre rich you pay. if youre not, you pay much less or nothing. cranbrook is not yale (financially or reputably). columbia is not yale (financially). yale painters dont attend the school because "Their application was weak. They didn't get into any other note-worthy school." that statement is not just inaccurate, its insane. yes, their program is large in comparison.... this is because they get 2-10 times the number of applicants of most programs. their acceptance rate is still one of, if not THE lowest in the country (for programs with a painting distinction). youre degrading programs with blatant over-generalizations and inaccurate assumptions. not every program that you view as "private + expensive" is a haven for rich, second-rate artists.

"The work is decent, but lacking. Hanging little geo-things in a bunch of environments is well played out by now." on an internet forum, an anonymous persons view of not-present work that he/she sees as 'decent, but lacking' means absolutely nothing. to try and influence opinions on specific schools using this tactic is ridiculous. can we please stick to facts instead of nonsensical hearsay? this thread is quickly unravelling with dumb angst and over-zealous ignorance. BASIC LOGIC TELLS US THAT AN MFA IS NOT WORTH MASSIVE DEBT. we dont need a thread of indirect testimonials about it.

I hope we both get into the same schools and are in the same class together - probably critical theory or something . Yet, neither of us know it!

Yale interview granted last night...As you all could imagine I was pretty ecstatic. With this great news also came a near comatose brain where just the "smallest" task of selecting my interview slot is, well, simply put overwhelming.  If anyone has any advice on the logic they used to derive their past decisions and any additional information on the typical Yale Graphic design procedure that would be great.  The forums are loaded with plenty of information, but all of this is generally directed toward the painting/printmaking program.

good luck to everyone!

yeah i took a dig up to march and saw only new media people getting interviews

This was  a thread on UCLA from page 16...sooooo you think painting doesn't interview either?  I thought I read something once about skype interviews but then it may have been another California school and now I can't find it.

Anyone know more about UCLA?  I'm interested in painting and there looks like some photo people on here too...

THANKS

This was a thread on UCLA from page 16...sooooo you think painting doesn't interview either? I thought I read something once about skype interviews but then it may have been another California school and now I can't find it.

Anyone know more about UCLA? I'm interested in painting and there looks like some photo people on here too...

THANKS

When I was visiting UCLA the admissions woman told us that they did not do any interviews, talking to students that seemed to be the case with one exception and that was a phone interview, so make of that what you may. Edited by bengston

Did anyone did fafsa yet, and if so what are your guys numbers, mine is terrible low which I am hoping is good, but my question is how fellowship and TA depends on FAFSA EFC, I am asuming is more based on portfolio? or I am wrong?

Yale interview granted last night...As you all could imagine I was pretty ecstatic. With this great news also came a near comatose brain where just the "smallest" task of selecting my interview slot is, well, simply put overwhelming.  If anyone has any advice on the logic they used to derive their past decisions and any additional information on the typical Yale Graphic design procedure that would be great.  The forums are loaded with plenty of information, but all of this is generally directed toward the painting/printmaking program.

good luck to everyone!

Congrats!! Go do amazing!

When I was visiting UCLA the admissions woman told us that they did not do any interviews, talking to students that seemed to be the case with one exception and that was a phone interview, so make of that what you may.

No Interviews...that I've ever heard of. Last years forum I believe they were calling students who were "wait listed" ect. So you will hear from them directly at some point.  I love going through last years Freakout post because it gives a great idea of potential time frames with regards to hearing back. 

No Interviews...that I've ever heard of. Last years forum I believe they were calling students who were "wait listed" ect. So you will hear from them directly at some point.  I love going through last years Freakout post because it gives a great idea of potential time frames with regards to hearing back. 
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I think the phone interview I heard of may have been to clarify some specific question a faculty member had about their statement or a specific project. Don't think this is normal.

good luck to everyone!

lucky you!  

i got rejected.. I was applying for the mfa graphic design programme too! :(

any chance i can check out an online portfolio? i'm dead curious to see!

Hi all. I have been watching this forum from a bit of a distance until now, but I have a question: Does anyone know much about SAIC's Performance department? I just got a call of acceptance, and it's one of the only schools I applied to and haven't actually visited. I work in a blend of performance, sculpture, and video, so I am looking for something nicely interdisciplinary. Thoughts? Also, congrats to everyone who is hearing about interviews! Still waiting on some more responses myself.

AYellow, 
I was reading it too and saw your name on the bottom  lol.  So it made me feel better that I wasn't the only one!

From what I read, the schools that I applied to sent out either rejects or accepts by March 2, and one was giving interviews the third week of Feb.  but i couldn't find info on the other.  The exception was one who didn't find out until april, but I assume she/he was on the waiting list.  So hopefully I will have all my decisions by then.  I really need lots of time if i do get accepted so i can get ready to move.  it's not easy with 3 kids.  

I'm getting very nervous reading about the replies people are already getting!  I only applied to two schools and couldn't find any info here in the forum on when they normally send replies.  Argh i'm so nervous :/

Hi all. I have been watching this forum from a bit of a distance until now, but I have a question: Does anyone know much about SAIC's Performance department? I just got a call of acceptance, and it's one of the only schools I applied to and haven't actually visited. I work in a blend of performance, sculpture, and video, so I am looking for something nicely interdisciplinary. Thoughts? Also, congrats to everyone who is hearing about interviews! Still waiting on some more responses myself.

I did my undergraduate at SAIC.  The whole school is totally interdisciplinary but esp the grad school.  You can do what ever you want and look for teachers in any department to work with.  The teachers are used to students "mixing".  And teachers work with teachers outside of their department to help a student.  SAIC has been like this for decades++. 

If you question had been can i work outside the department that accepted me --YES.  You can be admitted in painting and make sculpture the whole time.  You can be admitted in printmaking and do performance the whole time.  But you asked one layer deeper and the answer is that they are more than willing for you to work across departments they expect it and foster it.  

Its even prevalent in undergrad.

Hope this helps.

I'm getting very nervous reading about the replies people are already getting!  I only applied to two schools and couldn't find any info here in the forum on when they normally send replies.  Argh i'm so nervous :/

Where did you apply Emoree? I think generally notifications for interviews are in mid-February and notifications for acceptances are at the end of Feb through March depending on if the school interviews candidates or not.

It's not time to be nervous yet :)