MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

I finally got a letter from VCU Sculpture yesterday. It was delivered to my parents house in VA, so those of you out of state should be getting one soon I think. It also included the patronizing letter about how "if you would just pay to do their summer program you might be prepared enough to get into VCU next year"

That peeved me too... I read the post by another person who said VCU sees it as their "fun money." Not really fun to me.

I finally got a letter from VCU Sculpture yesterday.  It was delivered to my parents house in VA, so those of you out of state should be getting one soon I think.  It also included the patronizing letter about how "if you would just pay to do their summer program you might be prepared enough to get into VCU next year" 

That peeved me too... I read the post by another person who said VCU sees it as their "fun money." Not really fun to me.

Did either of you happen to check your online app? Does it says complete or incomplete? 

Did either of you happen to check your online app? Does it says complete or incomplete?

I put VCU behind me. They sent a letter saying, "In any event, I wanted to notify you of your status as soon as possible, hence this letter. You will receive an official MFA application notification from the VCU Grauate School at a later date."

So... I'll get an official rejection letter later. This was a... What?

I got the letter and moved on.

I put VCU behind me. They sent a letter saying, "In any event, I wanted to notify you of your status as soon as possible, hence this letter. You will receive an official MFA application notification from the VCU Grauate School at a later date."

So... I'll get an official rejection letter later. This was a... What?

I got the letter and moved on.

Yeesh, bleh. Sorry. 

I visited with CCA and was really impressed with the work I saw and the faculty I met there.

Those two schools seem to have a rivalry going on. Hard to get a clear vision of them when not in SF.

I opted to attend elsewhere just offering my 2 cents for CCA. I thought it cool.

I did my undergrad at SFAI and it was AMAZING.  CCA has a killer program too.  I would let funding and faculty drive your decision.  SFAI is an oasis though...The lecture series and visiting artist program is second to none in the Bay Area.

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm actually waiting to get my funding package from SFAI. CCA offered me partial tuition scholarship but I still need to get tremendous amount of loans. I didnt have a chance to visit those campuses as I'm currently busy with my last days of undergrad in Vancouver. It's really hard to decide based on their website information!

Cheers to all

Does anyone else get a bad feeling about a school based on how they treated you as an applicant? 

My sister just got the VCU rejection letter for me at her house. I think it's tacky to advertise for their summer program via rejection letters. I will forever associate VCU with an extremely long wait time for bad news.

Does anyone else get a bad feeling about a school based on how they treated you as an applicant? 

My sister just got the VCU rejection letter for me at her house. I think it's tacky to advertise for their summer program via rejection letters. I will forever associate VCU with an extremely long wait time for bad news.

I agree with you - accept that when I've visited and spoken to them, I was treated extremely well. Even when I called to bother them about what the heck was going on with their decision delays, everyone was really nice. but the summer ad is tacky, for sure. 

I had a laugh at this line about their summer program:

Past residents have been accepted into prestigious MFA Programs nationally and internationally including: the Art Institute of Chicago, The Royal College of Art, Columbia University, the University of Texas at Austin, Rutgers, as well as the Skowhegan School for Painting and Sculpture and many, many others.

...but apparently not VCU. Nice dodge at saying whether or not their Summer Studio Program will help with your odds for their own program.

I'm wondering with the deadline for that program being so soon (April 29), and them taking so long on contacting applicants, if they decided they couldn't afford to be more tactful and wait a while after official letters went out. I bet they decided they needed to send these pamphlets to the people they rejected ASAP.

Edited by herki

Is anyone out there going to Southern Illinois University - Carbondale (SIUC) this fall?

If so, let me know!  I am still waiting to hear a final offer from West Virginia U., and I just declined an offer from WashU, so SIUC is probably my most likely option.  If anyone else has thoughts about the school/program, please let me know.

Either way, if anyone is considering applying to schools next year, I definitely recommend considering SIUC, as most (all?) of the MFA students receive full funding and stipends with a TA/GA position.

i hear ya.

I still haven't got my official rej letter from VCU yet! I know it is a rej for sure, just funny they still keep you waiting at this point

I totally agree.  My dad opened the letter for me and he thought the same thing, which told me I wasn't just being too sensitive about the rejection (which I was already expecting).  Besides when a program is as competitive to get into as VCU I think it's arrogant of them to imply that everyone not accepted wasn't prepared enough and needs this summer program before they can get into an MFA.

Sorry for delay ---

I am hoping to, I'm visiting this week. And I am waiting to hear from Cranbrook and Tyler. I'm debating asking for an extension... but I really like RISD's program and structure. We will see but i'm 80% sure I am.

That's awesome! I would have liked to visit, but I haven't had the time. But Katy showed me pictures and I have researched. I am about 80% sure as well. I really like the program size and structure and the faculty I have met. Good luck with the other schools. Let me know what you decide and what you thought of RISD after you visit! Oh and if you ask for an extension/get one, let me know. I am a officially an alternate for IU, so if I get in I will have a hard decision to make. Edited by Rainbows&Cupcakes

Finally got a response out of Hunter after much calling. Apparently it was another department that was slowing things down as the Art department had put in the notifications awhile ago. I must say its weird to finally have a clear view of grad school after months of moving variables. 

I just received a mail from RISD saying that they have give more time to the shortlisted students and would be able inform about the final list by Monday.

Thanks! That's helpful. I wonder why I didn't get the same email.

My offer letter clearly stated I had till April 15th to accept...I imagine its the same for other RISD programs.

Yeah most probably. How annoying, they told me they'd know by the 8th so I kept having mini-heart-attacks whenever I'd get a new email! Knowing the 'actual' deadline to respond would've made me less expectant.

Oh well, more waiting for me.

I had a laugh at this line about their summer program:

...but apparently not VCU. Nice dodge at saying whether or not their Summer Studio Program will help with your odds for their own program.

I'm wondering with the deadline for that program being so soon (April 29), and them taking so long on contacting applicants, if they decided they couldn't afford to be more tactful and wait a while after official letters went out. I bet they decided they needed to send these pamphlets to the people they rejected ASAP.

But a few folks from the summer program do end up at VCU! Not many, but a few. I think they just can't say that- wouldn't seem quite right.

Thanks beards, 

That summer program ad is really annoying, the one I received from painting said "several scholarships available" but I called just to find out and there are maybe two that cover less than half of the cost.. I'm sure it would be a great experience, but that's some pricey summer camp. 

It's a bummer that the summer program ad is included in the rejection letters. That being said, it is expensive but a GREAT experience.

I had turned down all of my acceptances except my top choice only to learn yesterday that my funding was not approved by the graduate school and there would be no financial aid offered at all other than loans. This was very upsetting news to receive. Guess I'll be doing this thing again next year. This iwhole process is utterly ridiculous!

I did my undergrad at VCU and got to know some of the grad students and faculty quite well. I imagine they promote the summer program along with their rejection letters because it's not the type of program that people generally seek out on their own and they want people to know it exists, and the whole point is to draw in quality artists who are considering the MFA. I actually know a few of the faculty who are involved with the summer program and can't speak highly enough about them.

I know several people who did the summer program and were then accepted after re-applying to the MFA. VCUarts is a highly ranked program with exceptional facilities and a very small price tag in comparison to most other programs. It is without a doubt one of the best bang-for-your-buck MFA's available. It's about $40k for the the whole program, and that's without factoring in scholarships and TA opportunities (which every grad student gets). Richmond is a very easy and affordable city to live in. If you can figure out a way to afford coughing up the 6 or 7k that it would cost you to do their summer program, considering it greatly increases your chances of getting into the MFA later, which would then cost you a fraction of what you would spend at most other schools, it's not a bad deal at all.

I had turned down all of my acceptances except my top choice only to learn yesterday that my funding was not approved by the graduate school and there would be no financial aid offered at all other than loans. This was very upsetting news to receive. Guess I'll be doing this thing again next year. This iwhole process is utterly ridiculous!

Woah - that's awful! maybe contact those schools and explain, maybe they can put you on the waitlist? 

damn. I'm sorry. it may be a long shot but what if you contact on of the schools you declined? when I declined one school's offer they said specifically to contact them "if the program I selected didn't meet my expectations". I guess you just have to be very sincere about it and explain your situation and that you regret declining their offer initially. I have no experience with this but what do you have to lose really?

damn. I'm sorry. it may be a long shot but what if you contact on of the schools you declined? when I declined one school's offer they said specifically to contact them "if the program I selected didn't meet my expectations". I guess you just have to be very sincere about it and explain your situation and that you regret declining their offer initially. I have no experience with this but what do you have to lose really?

Crazy right. Yeah I could do that, but I ultimately made the decision to decline those programs and will stick to it. Just can't believe my top choice strung me along for so long. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. So, here's to doing it all again next year. At least I'll get to excitedly check my mailbox again next Feb/March.

Crazy right. Yeah I could do that, but I ultimately made the decision to decline those programs and will stick to it. Just can't believe my top choice strung me along for so long. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. So, here's to doing it all again next year. At least I'll get to excitedly check my mailbox again next Feb/March.

yea, thats pretty shitty but however cliche it may sound.. everything happens for a reason!