MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

So I emailed RISD on the 5th asking if they have any news for the wait-listed, and they replied saying not yet; they'll know after the 8th. It's the 10th now and still no word from them.. Would it be too annoying if I email them again? I mean they did say they'll let me know as soon as possible so maybe they don't want me to keep emailing.. But on the other hand I don't want them to think I'm not interested..

Help?

Call them.

So I emailed RISD on the 5th asking if they have any news for the wait-listed, and they replied saying not yet; they'll know after the 8th. It's the 10th now and still no word from them.. Would it be too annoying if I email them again? I mean they did say they'll let me know as soon as possible so maybe they don't want me to keep emailing.. But on the other hand I don't want them to think I'm not interested..

Help?

I just received a mail from RISD saying that they have give more time to the shortlisted students and would be able inform about the final list by Monday.

Help?

My offer letter clearly stated I had till April 15th to accept...I imagine its the same for other RISD programs.

CCA or SFAI?

I visited with CCA and was really impressed with the work I saw and the faculty I met there.

Those two schools seem to have a rivalry going on. Hard to get a clear vision of them when not in SF.

I opted to attend elsewhere just offering my 2 cents for CCA. I thought it cool.

Just made some room at SVA- emailed them to oficially reject the offer, which means there is one more spot available if anyone here's been on the waitlist! I hope they offer the funding they gave me to someone else...

So- I am officially going to Hunter next year! They offered me the choice of starting in the Fall semester but I opted to start in the Spring, to get some months into my NY-state residency and start getting that 50% discount ASAP.

Anyone else here accepted at Hunter?

CAN beat the cost of living/working "right in manhattan," though. if $$ wasnt a factor, Columbia would still be in the running... but the debt that some of these places are putting the majority of their students into should be illegal **cough SAIC/Columbia cough**. I do like Yale a lot, but UChicago's program structure seems more akin to what art actually is in contemporary theory. I am also weary of going to a school that graduates 60+ MFA's a year as opposed to UChicago's 8-10.

i appreciate this forum and the honest perspectives. I have the same problem with Columbia (it seems like a lot of people are having to let it go!) I recently went to the MFA first year show, and the work was all over the board in terms of development.  I really can't justify a debt that would easily be 2x (if not more) my starting salary, and I don't want the fear of relying on the 'income based repayment plan'. It was causing (EXTREME) anxiety, and its nice to hear i'm not alone. I'm 90% sure i'll attend a small program (4-5 in each class) with full funding and stipend over the others.  Nonetheless, it sux to be poor and have to pay so much attention to financials...

I didn't have quite the positive experience at UChicago as you did. Did you attend the critique? I was really excited about their program but was v let down at the level of work being presented and lack of direction. I don't mean to bash this school by any means, I just think its good for people on this forum to have a different perspective on the program. I had very high hopes for the program. It does seem evident that the program is definitely trying to build up a better reputation. ( i have been studying in chicago for a couple years now, so i'm familiar with the changes that UoC has been though) The Logan Center facilities, however, are phenomenal and leagues above any program I visited. I feel like a total Scrooge, but this was my experience. 

Yeah I am. I really like the program and I got a chance to talk with Katy and go to lunch with Larry and past alumni last week at NCECA. I rejected Wash U last week and am still waiting to hear back from IU (I am Wait Listed there). What about you?

Sorry for delay ---

I am hoping to, I'm visiting this week. And I am waiting to hear from Cranbrook and Tyler. I'm debating asking for an extension... but I really like RISD's program and structure. We will see but i'm 80% sure I am.

Anyone out there with the dilemma of one school not extending their deadline to allow you to hear the offer of another school? 

My advice: just pay the deposit for the one that's earlier. If need be, you can always forfeit that money for a better offer.

Just made some room at SVA- emailed them to oficially reject the offer, which means there is one more spot available if anyone here's been on the waitlist! I hope they offer the funding they gave me to someone else...

So- I am officially going to Hunter next year! They offered me the choice of starting in the Fall semester but I opted to start in the Spring, to get some months into my NY-state residency and start getting that 50% discount ASAP.

Anyone else here accepted at Hunter?

Me! I am!

Nothing from VCU, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. A fellow sculpture friend called them up today and were told they are still reviewing applications and they have no idea when they'll be done. I also received a call today from Umass:amherst telling me I've been accepted with Full tuition waiver, $900 a month stipend and a teaching assistant ship position where I actually teach a class by myself.

Although I've pretty much made my decision, Massart, but  I'm sitting here wondering if its the right choice. I know only I'll know what's right for me, but its so difficult finding out exactly how a school runs. I'm afraid I'll go to a school and it isnt exactly how it made itself out to be. 

Hi I just went back to see when I posted this and thought I would reply, I still haven't heard anything, and am in a similar position. Congratulations on the good deal and acceptance.

Wondering - if you aren't 100% positive about a program or location, is it better to wait?

I'm not being courted by a bunch of schools or anything, I wasn't accepted by several, I just wanted to clarify. I'm just wondering what opinions are on taking time off,  passing up opportunities, trying again for the same programs, etc? 

Edited by houndstooth

Hello everyone, I appreciate the supportive and insightful feedback on this forum. I'm trying to decide between UChicago and SAIC. On one hand, SAIC has a good reputation (maybe better than UChicago). On the other hand, I heard it is too big one can feel lost. It also seems UChicago is building up a good reputation. And I like how supportive the faculty seems to be. Students at SAIC mentioned the faculty is quite supportive too. Can't make up my mind Any thoughts and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone, I appreciate the supportive and insightful feedback on this forum. I'm trying to decide between UChicago and SAIC. On one hand, SAIC has a good reputation (maybe better than UChicago). On the other hand, I heard it is too big one can feel lost. It also seems UChicago is building up a good reputation. And I like how supportive the faculty seems to be. Students at SAIC mentioned the faculty is quite supportive too. Can't make up my mind Any thoughts and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Having visited both (but not saying this applies to everyone) SAIC probably does have a better rep than UChicago for specifically art (right now) but UofC is headed in the right direction for sure and as a University overall it is world class. I am really excited about having the entire school as a resource and not just the art school. SAIC is way bigger but they also have tons of specialized classes you can take so if you are looking for art and technology classes or fibers etc it seems that they have anything you could dream of needing. UChicago seems like it will be a heavily academic environment with a real focus on theory and very intimate. As for the locations, SAIC is downtown and Uchicago is in Hyde Park (a bit slower and beautiful!!!) 

If you do decide to go to Uchicago let me know! I want to meet my classmates!

But really you have two great options, there really is no losing. :)

I think SAIC is more established within Chicago, and being a huge art school right downtown in the Loop (as opposed to a much smaller program out in a neighborhood lacking convenient public transit), they do have a stronger foothold within much of the Chicago art scene at this moment. Some would argue that SAIC's glory days are fading, however, unless they can figure out how to keep drawing top talent somehow. Likewise, it's pretty clear that UChicago is pretty intent on growing their program, though since they just started doing so, I'm unsure on how effective they'll be.

If I were in your place I'd focus on the concept/craft dichotomy: what do you tend to focus on, and what do you want to focus on in your MFA studies?

• At SAIC, there's a pretty heavy focus on craft and materials studies. Being so large, they have huge amounts of facilities and tools available, and you can basically pursue anything you might want to. If that's something you want to develop during your MFA studies, that could be useful.
  • On the other hand, UChicago doesn't have the facilities to support the resources SAIC can, even with their brand new building. Being part of a larger intellectual institution, they tend to focus more on theory and the ideas behind the art. So if you're more of a conceptual artist, or are looking to develop your conceptual grounding more, UChicago might be a better fit.

Another part of the reputation is how big your graduating class will be, indicating to some extent how "exclusive" the school is. That's a double-edged sword, though, because the smaller and more exclusive your class size, the fewer peers you'll have to make connections and friendships with before graduating. Especially in the apartment-gallery-scene of Chicago, those connections can be pretty useful.

I've been overanalyzing all the schools I had to pick between, and decided that though my choices had some pretty big differences, in the end they all equalled out. Some do better in factors A & D, others do better with factors B & C. To a certain extent, you have to weigh what matters to you, and then just make a gut decision and not look back!

Edited by herki

Hi I just went back to see when I posted this and thought I would reply, I still haven't heard anything, and am in a similar position. Congratulations on the good deal and acceptance.

Wondering - if you aren't 100% positive about a program or location, is it better to wait?

I'm not being courted by a bunch of schools or anything, I wasn't accepted by several, I just wanted to clarify. I'm just wondering what opinions are on taking time off,  passing up opportunities, trying again for the same programs, etc? 

I finally got a letter from VCU Sculpture yesterday.  It was delivered to my parents house in VA, so those of you out of state should be getting one soon I think.  It also included the patronizing letter about how "if you would just pay to do their summer program you might be prepared enough to get into VCU next year" 

Thanks cosmicomics. Wouldn't be fair to say though that saic has a far better reputation than UChicago mfa? Or not so much so?

Yes, SAIC is much better known for the MFA. You can see that by googling something like 'top art schools'. SAIC always seems to be on that list. I agree with herki, if you want the benefits of that reputation then that may have a lot to do with networking and the number of your peers may be important. 

Good luck!! 

CCA or SFAI?

I did my undergrad at SFAI and it was AMAZING.  CCA has a killer program too.  I would let funding and faculty drive your decision.  SFAI is an oasis though...The lecture series and visiting artist program is second to none in the Bay Area.

Me! I am!

Yay! are you starting in September or January? Do you know what the media lab situation will be like in the new studio building? I forgot to ask in my interview.

I finally got a letter from VCU Sculpture yesterday.  It was delivered to my parents house in VA, so those of you out of state should be getting one soon I think.  It also included the patronizing letter about how "if you would just pay to do their summer program you might be prepared enough to get into VCU next year" 

Thanks beards, 

That summer program ad is really annoying, the one I received from painting said "several scholarships available" but I called just to find out and there are maybe two that cover less than half of the cost.. I'm sure it would be a great experience, but that's some pricey summer camp. 

Yay! are you starting in September or January? Do you know what the media lab situation will be like in the new studio building? I forgot to ask in my interview.

I start in January. Which I was a bit bummed about at first but am now pretty happy about (more time to make money to pay for graduate school).

I have no clue about the new media lab. I didn't ask either...