MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Yeah, sometimes having options is worse than just having one acceptance perhaps.

I wasn't picky at the start of this process, but have become so after getting into two places. 

Good luck with your choice. Make sure you do what you feel is best for you.

aaaaah! finally get the meaning behind this freak-out forum...

I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear back from schools but now I'm even more anxious as everything is becoming more "real" and I actually have to make a decision. I went into the admission process with the mindset that I probably wouldn't get in and that it would be good practice for next years applications SO now that I actually have some pretty great offers I have NO IDEA what to do.

it doesn't help that my boyfriend of 3 years will be in saint louis for the next 3 years for his schooling and although he's being supportive and wants me to "do what makes me happy" its evident that me deciding to head out west or down south for 3 years could be a major blow to our relationship. it just sucks that I have to be the "bad guy" (choosing school over him)... but it's also not that I want to go and he doesn't want me to-- part of me doesn't want to go either because I don't want to move that far away from him and at the same time the schools closers are not feasible financially or a good fit/the program I want to go to. BUT this is my dream! ya know...

I know noone will be able to tell me what to do but it would be kind of nice if I didn't have to choose. can't I have it all? :)

I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear back from schools but now I'm even more anxious as everything is becoming more "real" and I actually have to make a decision. I went into the admission process with the mindset that I probably wouldn't get in and that it would be good practice for next years applications SO now that I actually have some pretty great offers I have NO IDEA what to do.

it doesn't help that my boyfriend of 3 years will be in saint louis for the next 3 years for his schooling and although he's being supportive and wants me to "do what makes me happy" its evident that me deciding to head out west or down south for 3 years could be a major blow to our relationship. it just sucks that I have to be the "bad guy" (choosing school over him)... but it's also not that I want to go and he doesn't want me to-- part of me doesn't want to go either because I don't want to move that far away from him and at the same time the schools closers are not feasible financially or a good fit/the program I want to go to. BUT this is my dream! ya know...

I know noone will be able to tell me what to do but it would be kind of nice if I didn't have to choose. can't I have it all? :)

I'll tell you what to do.  You aren't married.  Choose your dream.  

I chose a boyfriend over school years ago and he ended up cheating on me.  Should have gone with school.

Edited by hwrios

finally got notified that I'm waitlisted at VCU. super disappointed since I really wanted to go there and it seems like such a great fit. however, better than rejection and there is still hope! so fingers crossed someone chooses to go elsewhere ;)

Nothing from VCU, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. A fellow sculpture friend called them up today and were told they are still reviewing applications and they have no idea when they'll be done. I also received a call today from Umass:amherst telling me I've been accepted with Full tuition waiver, $900 a month stipend and a teaching assistant ship position where I actually teach a class by myself.

Although I've pretty much made my decision, Massart, but  I'm sitting here wondering if its the right choice. I know only I'll know what's right for me, but its so difficult finding out exactly how a school runs. I'm afraid I'll go to a school and it isnt exactly how it made itself out to be. 

Nothing from VCU, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. A fellow sculpture friend called them up today and were told they are still reviewing applications and they have no idea when they'll be done. I also received a call today from Umass:amherst telling me I've been accepted with Full tuition waiver, $900 a month stipend and a teaching assistant ship position where I actually teach a class by myself.

Although I've pretty much made my decision, Massart, but  I'm sitting here wondering if its the right choice. I know only I'll know what's right for me, but its so difficult finding out exactly how a school runs. I'm afraid I'll go to a school and it isnt exactly how it made itself out to be. 

When I called VCU Sculpture yesterday, they said they had put letters in the mail this week. I'm guessing anyone who got in would have gotten a call?

Good luck with your decision. It's hard to turn down a good stipend!

When I called VCU Sculpture yesterday, they said they had put letters in the mail this week. I'm guessing anyone who got in would have gotten a call?

Good luck with your decision. It's hard to turn down a good stipend!

Hah, well I just put a 3k down payment on an apartment in boston thats only a 15 minute walk from Massart and SMFA so I had already made my decision :) I was just freaking out over nothing. I've not heard the best things about amherst's program, so I have no idea why I was so down about Massart today. They have amazing facilities, offer TA and SA positions, and have gallery work experience opportunities. 

Really one finds a way to be as negative as possible. You'd think I'd be grateful with so many acceptances, but then you just make yourself depressed, wondering if you're making the right decision. Yeah, I'll probably come out of grad school with a 20-40k debt, but it could always be way more than that. The Amherst would be free, but it's literally in the middle of no where, I'd have to commute at least an hour-two hours a day and my boyfriend would probably hate where we'd live, and he a few states over 9 months ago to live with me and is actually excited about our move to boston. On top of that, the only things that attracted me to Amherst over Massart were the total freedom given in the TA positions and the 3 years degree rather than two. The free ride isnt bad, but I havent gotten the best impression of umass amherst after speaking with their professor today, as well as a few posters here mentioning they were unimpressed when they had a tour of the place. Going to see if I can schedule a tour, but still, my number one place is Massart.

For all those who have been boring holes into their phones in futile hope of making it ring...

Hunter's calendar reads:  March 25-April 2-Spring Recess

So... I don't expect a response until maybe this coming Wednesday?

This is me. 

Seriously, what is going on with Hunter? No one has heard anything?

This is me.

Seriously, what is going on with Hunter? No one has heard anything?

I haven't heard back. Every time my phone makes a noise or vibrates I jump three feet thinking, just maybe, I've gotten an e-mail or phone call. But alas, nothing. Not a peep. It's really very frustrating. Other schools are making offers and expecting decisions and Hunter seems to be taking their sweet time. I will say however, every time I've been contacted by them it's been on a Friday afternoon...

I haven't heard back. Every time my phone makes a noise or vibrates I jump three feet thinking, just maybe, I've gotten an e-mail or phone call. But alas, nothing. Not a peep. It's really very frustrating. Other schools are making offers and expecting decisions and Hunter seems to be taking their sweet time. I will say however, every time I've been contacted by them it's been on a Friday afternoon...

I know what you mean. Hunter is my #1 choice unless I die of a heart complication before.

Same here- haven't heard anything yet. Arg!

Nothing from Hunter here either. I would expect that they'd get back to us by the end of the week.

There's still half a day left today and a whole day tomorrow. Fingers crossed this doesn't drag on to next week!

That's great that you applied for schools all over the place. A few years ago, I made the decision to stay in Indiana instead of moving out west (I love hiking and I really wanted to move to a little remote town somewhere with mountains) I stayed here for my BF because he wanted to start his undergrad. I knew this was a 4 year commitment and I really wanted to support his decision and make it work for us. All I can say is it felt right for me to stay... Job prospects here suck and you get paid very little, but luckily once I made the decision to stay I got a full time job and I even managed to buy a small house. It's been great but I do have the what if moments a lot... I could only apply to 2 schools (IU and IUPUI) and it looks like i'll be commuting to IUPUI since IU hasn't responded (ugh!).  So anyways, long story short, there were a lot of tough decisions, and I am glad I stayed with my BF through and through... When he is done with his undergrad in 2 years, I will be done with my MFA so he decided I get to choose where we get to move together depending on my job prospects. Good luck and do what feels right, you'll still have the what if moments in either case but you'll know the decision you made is the right one.

That's great that you applied for schools all over the place. A few years ago, I made the decision to stay in Indiana instead of moving out west (I love hiking and I really wanted to move to a little remote town somewhere with mountains) I stayed here for my BF because he wanted to start his undergrad. I knew this was a 4 year commitment and I really wanted to support his decision and make it work for us. All I can say is it felt right for me to stay... Job prospects here suck and you get paid very little, but luckily once I made the decision to stay I got a full time job and I even managed to buy a small house. It's been great but I do have the what if moments a lot... I could only apply to 2 schools (IU and IUPUI) and it looks like i'll be commuting to IUPUI since IU hasn't responded (ugh!).  So anyways, long story short, there were a lot of tough decisions, and I am glad I stayed with my BF through and through... When he is done with his undergrad in 2 years, I will be done with my MFA so he decided I get to choose where we get to move together depending on my job prospects. Good luck and do what feels right, you'll still have the what if moments in either case but you'll know the decision you made is the right one.

don't get me wrong- I love indiana! haha

I'm still very much considering herron due to the fact that I feel pretty "invested" in Indiana. I'm originally from Sweden and came here as an international student but little did I know that I was going to fall in love with a good ole country boy haha. his family lives in indy and that's very much where he sees himself in the future due to his profession so I could potentially see myself here as well. so herron would be good if I do want to stay in this area but it doesn't have the reputation as some of the other schools (yet). BUUUUT the funding is not so good. with out of state tuition I'd have to shell out another 40k+. so I can't justify that compared to my other offers simply because of its location close to my bf.

however, they did call me up today after I inquired about the fellowship 2nd semester (and potential for more funding) and they were going to see what they could do! he asked about my other offers so they know that there is a slim chance unless they can come up with a lot more to make it worth it. we shall see........... they seem very accomodating though and it's nice that they are trying to really get me there and make it work as opposed to another unnamed school ;)

have you visited herron btw?

Hah, well I just put a 3k down payment on an apartment in boston thats only a 15 minute walk from Massart and SMFA so I had already made my decision :) I was just freaking out over nothing. I've not heard the best things about amherst's program, so I have no idea why I was so down about Massart today. They have amazing facilities, offer TA and SA positions, and have gallery work experience opportunities. 

Really one finds a way to be as negative as possible. You'd think I'd be grateful with so many acceptances, but then you just make yourself depressed, wondering if you're making the right decision. Yeah, I'll probably come out of grad school with a 20-40k debt, but it could always be way more than that. The Amherst would be free, but it's literally in the middle of no where, I'd have to commute at least an hour-two hours a day and my boyfriend would probably hate where we'd live, and he a few states over 9 months ago to live with me and is actually excited about our move to boston. On top of that, the only things that attracted me to Amherst over Massart were the total freedom given in the TA positions and the 3 years degree rather than two. The free ride isnt bad, but I havent gotten the best impression of umass amherst after speaking with their professor today, as well as a few posters here mentioning they were unimpressed when they had a tour of the place. Going to see if I can schedule a tour, but still, my number one place is Massart.

I used to live in Amherst (and Northampton, Hadley, Florence, etc., I moved around a lot after i graduated from Smith).  I don't agree that it's in the middle of nowhere, since there is a lot going on in Amherst/Northampton/Hadley/Easthampton area.  There is a lot of art, music & food (and a lot of great warehouse studio spaces available for fairly cheap), but it's obviously not the same as living in Boston.  It's also a very beautiful area and has the Berkshire mountains nearby.

However.

I considered UMASS Amherst for grad school a few years ago but i did not have a good experience visiting there.  The grad coordinator basically told me during my visit that i was "too old" for their program... riiiiight... i was only 28.  I wasn't impressed by the student work or the painting critique I attended.  The campus is also absolutely hideous (all pavement and old, bulging concrete bunkers)--I don't know about you, but it's important to me what my surroundings look like.  I don't really remember the facilities much, since they weren't impressive.

Hope that helps.  I wouldn't waste a trip to UMASS, especially since you've pretty much already made up your mind, unless you can take some time to hang out in Northampton (try Paul & Elizabeth's for a nice lunch or Osaka if you like sushi!).  i wish i still lived near Northampton!

don't get me wrong- I love indiana! haha

I'm still very much considering herron due to the fact that I feel pretty "invested" in Indiana. I'm originally from Sweden and came here as an international student but little did I know that I was going to fall in love with a good ole country boy haha. his family lives in indy and that's very much where he sees himself in the future due to his profession so I could potentially see myself here as well. so herron would be good if I do want to stay in this area but it doesn't have the reputation as some of the other schools (yet). BUUUUT the funding is not so good. with out of state tuition I'd have to shell out another 40k+. so I can't justify that compared to my other offers simply because of its location close to my bf.

however, they did call me up today after I inquired about the fellowship 2nd semester (and potential for more funding) and they were going to see what they could do! he asked about my other offers so they know that there is a slim chance unless they can come up with a lot more to make it worth it. we shall see........... they seem very accomodating though and it's nice that they are trying to really get me there and make it work as opposed to another unnamed school ;)

have you visited herron btw?

yeah, herron is expensive.  especially compared to IUB.  the tuition is almost TWICE as much!!!!!  Argh!!!!  i thought i was alone in not getting much funding, but perhaps they are stingy in general.  their fellowships are also not very generous, and the money goes directly to tuition (I thought it would be like getting a paycheck, guess not).  :(  i was very happy with my visit, though, and i think it would be a good school for me.  i'd still rather go to IUB but it feels like the chances of that are getting smaller as each day passes.  

yeah, herron is expensive.  especially compared to IUB.  the tuition is almost TWICE as much!!!!!  Argh!!!!  i thought i was alone in not getting much funding, but perhaps they are stingy in general.  their fellowships are also not very generous, and the money goes directly to tuition (I thought it would be like getting a paycheck, guess not).  :(  i was very happy with my visit, though, and i think it would be a good school for me.  i'd still rather go to IUB but it feels like the chances of that are getting smaller as each day passes.  

agreed! it's almost more than my private liberal arts undergrad! even with the 3500/year fellowship I'd need to borrow 40k. just seems odd to me that all these other schools are offering tutition waivers while they are charging out of state tuition (for me at least) and offering funding to cover no more than 20%. it's just not feasible for me at all and they are not even close to competing to some other state school programs in terms of funding. is it because its such a new program you think?

agreed! it's almost more than my private liberal arts undergrad! even with the 3500/year fellowship I'd need to borrow 40k. just seems odd to me that all these other schools are offering tutition waivers while they are charging out of state tuition (for me at least) and offering funding to cover no more than 20%. it's just not feasible for me at all and they are not even close to competing to some other state school programs in terms of funding. is it because its such a new program you think?

don't you live in indiana?  you shouldn't be charged out of state tuition.  the first letter they sent me said i was being charged out of state tuition (with a very small tuition remission) and i freaked out and called them and it turns out they made a mistake and sent me the wrong letter.  you should check to make sure you got the right letter.

if for some reason you did get the right letter, if you do live in indiana and will have lived there at least 12 months you can apply for a residency change with the school.  it looks like a big pain (lot of paperwork) but would potentially save you a lot of money.  there is a stupid clause in the letter i got, though, that said if my residency changed then i would forfeit the tuition remission.  it would still be much cheaper to be charged instate with no remission than out of state with remission.

i'd be really interested to know whether you got the wrong letter.  i know that both of the people in charge of the grad program literally just took on those duties a few weeks ago, so they must be going through all kinds of chaos.

don't you live in indiana?  you shouldn't be charged out of state tuition.  the first letter they sent me said i was being charged out of state tuition (with a very small tuition remission) and i freaked out and called them and it turns out they made a mistake and sent me the wrong letter.  you should check to make sure you got the right letter.

if for some reason you did get the right letter, if you do live in indiana and will have lived there at least 12 months you can apply for a residency change with the school.  it looks like a big pain (lot of paperwork) but would potentially save you a lot of money.  there is a stupid clause in the letter i got, though, that said if my residency changed then i would forfeit the tuition remission.  it would still be much cheaper to be charged instate with no remission than out of state with remission.

i'd be really interested to know whether you got the wrong letter.  i know that both of the people in charge of the grad program literally just took on those duties a few weeks ago, so they must be going through all kinds of chaos.

ah ok. I don't think I did since I'm an international student. I have lived in Indiana for the past 5 years though so it's kind of bs. but since I'm a "non-immigrant alien" I'm not eligble for residency (I think that's how it works)

ah ok. I don't think I did since I'm an international student. I have lived in Indiana for the past 5 years though so it's kind of bs. but since I'm a "non-immigrant alien" I'm not eligble for residency (I think that's how it works)

that stinks!  :(  i hope they can improve your offer somehow!

Edited by Emoree

I have been accepted to two MICA programs covering between 50-75 percent of tuition. On the other, hand I have been offered a free ride plus about 2,000 dollars-in my pocket-a month by the UTKnoxville. They both seem really excited to have me and both have given me more money. Both have their pros and cons and I'm not sure the money should be the biggest factor i should consider. I'm thinking MICA looks better on a resume but the UTK would make me a better all-around artist. Not sure what I should do at this point?

I have also been accepted into:

R.I.T(partial funding) & UTD (Full funding)