MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Are you planning on visiting any time before April 15th? if that second year is a sure thing, I am like.. so.. absolutely there. I'm going to email Caron and ask what the deal with second year funding is. I'm trying to keep it cool/not get too emotionally invested yet in case it doesn't work out (like, if there's no 2nd year funding I can't take on ~52 in loans, not with my pre-existing ones from undergrad, you know?)  but damn it's such a cool program and everyone i've talked to is amazing, i love what's going on in LA right now and the faculty just seems super involved with the program but also actively working on their own things, like Cathy Opie has a pretty good show up at Regen right now...

I visited just last week, from what I remember funding stays more or less intact the two years, with the added benefit (for people like us) of Cali residency. I'm sure Caron can provide the nit picky of it. Don't the options for merit scholarships also open up after a year? I had longish conversations with Cathy, Rodney, Hirsch, Steven (the sculpture tech) and Caron, they are all too incredible to pass up I think   :D  are you photo? Also where else are you considering?

Edited by kwonberry

Congrats kwonberry and Erpnope, UCLA is lucky to have you!

To ptsd: it's the Foundation Center, they have locations in cities across the US - access is free at their physical locations.  I also found this database from Duke:  https://researchfunding.duke.edu/.  I'd also check your public library for scholarship and grant resource books.

***Erpnope started the thread MFA Outside Funding Resource List - I'll be this kind of info there from now on.

Thanks. Your work looks fitting for Columbia, good luck with their financial info (last I checked they are pretty stingy in that department)

Thanks. Your work looks fitting for Columbia, good luck with their financial info (last I checked they are pretty stingy in that department)

Yes, I think It'll be a great fit.  As for financials, I'll know something more definite next week but right now THEY ARE KILLING ME.

Yes, I think It'll be a great fit.  As for financials, I'll know something more definite next week but right now THEY ARE KILLING ME.

Ditto. It really took me aback/ borderline insulting. Fully funded, sadly, might be where I need to be. Did they give you any counteroffers?

Sorry to hear that. I had the same situation last year. All 5 schools I applied to I was rejected. It definitely hurt, but nothing could ever come between me and my artistic convictions and getting into grad school. This last year really made me up my game and really prove myself, not just as an artist, but as a person. It was definitely needed. Most my mentors applied 2, even three time to get in and now I'm amazed by what they are doing. Learn from this and make next year even better and apply to the same schools, it shows them how much you really want it. This year, one year later: one acceptance, one rejection, and two interviews. Best of luck and by all means don't give up! Use it as fuel!!

Hi, congrats on Hawaii... can I ask if they gave decent funding?

Hi I am a waitlist in RISD 3yr MFA program and the suspense is killing me.

Can anyone tell me the chances to getting selected from waitlist.

Thnks

Hey Mustafa, 

Did you apply to graphic design? If so, I'm in the same boat. They wrote to me that they would have the final decisions from their top 8 on the 8th of April but would send news if they knew sooner. Best of luck!

BTW Did anyone apply to the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena? Specifically media design matters? I've been trolling this forum for weeks and haven't heard much about it! :)

Hey Mustafa, 

Did you apply to graphic design? If so, I'm in the same boat. They wrote to me that they would have the final decisions from their top 8 on the 8th of April but would send news if they knew sooner. Best of luck!

BTW Did anyone apply to the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena? Specifically media design matters? I've been trolling this forum for weeks and haven't heard much about it! :)

Hi,

I applied for 3yr MFA in Graphic design. Also got the same mail. I just want to know how many people are there on the waitlist and what are the chances. Hope we both get through. :)

Best of luck to you too.

Edited by Mustafa

Does anyone know my chances of getting into Cornell from their waiting list? They didn't tell me my position on the list, does anyone know how many people they take and how many are wait listed? I know It's probably unlikely, but I can't help but wonder.   

Did anyone else hear back From SAIC FVNMA??

I applied to Film, Video, New Media, and Animation program as an international applicant... but I haven't heard back yet.

So I'm worried that if I was already rejected :unsure:

Edited by breather

Hunter said on 3/17 "...we are hoping a week from Wednesday. But it is in the middle of our spring break so it might be 2 or 3 weeks..."

I think that this estimate applied to every department.

Edited by e.lewin

Has anyone heard back from Hunter regarding painting? They are the last piece to the puzzle of making a decision. 

Hunter said on 3/17 "...we are hoping a week from Wednesday. But it is in the middle of our spring break so it might be 2 or 3 weeks..."

I think that this estimate applied to every department.

hopefully we'll hear this wednesday but i won't hold my breath. 

when i was talking to current Hunter grads on interview day they said notification comes as a phone call. and not everyone is notified on the same day. 

just fyi.

those denied by vcu painting + printmaking, did ya'll receive the invite to apply for the summer studio program? Additionally, has anyone on the forum gone through this/have any insight into it? 

When my friend was accepted to the MFA painting program at VCU last year when he went to visit the school they said the summer program their "fun money".  I think if you have the $ it could be a good opportunity, but it's an expensive program and I think it's mostly there to be a moneymaker for the MFA programs.

I can't believe I've received absolutely no update up to now. Absolutely nothing. Tyler's TU portal site says the application is "Complete and ready for review" as it has for months. This is really frustrating. I called a week ago and they said that decisions would be coming down in the next few weeks but seriously, what the hell.

GoFightWinAgain:

Just called the Visual Arts office, faculty(?) are having a meeting this week and we'll know if there are any increases in institutional aid by the end of the week.

Capers, hearty thanks for the info. I'll give them a ring. I've only been in e-mail contact, and have not heard news of a (faculty) meeting.

Bonne Chance! 

those denied by vcu painting + printmaking, did ya'll receive the invite to apply for the summer studio program? Additionally, has anyone on the forum gone through this/have any insight into it?

I did. ...And I'll admit I am a little peeved... What I got wasn't even their "official" rejection letter but a plug for their summer program. I think it is a form letter that they send... I could go on... But I will refrain.

I can't believe I've received absolutely no update up to now. Absolutely nothing. Tyler's TU portal site says the application is "Complete and ready for review" as it has for months. This is really frustrating. I called a week ago and they said that decisions would be coming down in the next few weeks but seriously, what the hell.

they did the exact same thing last year, too.

How did it work out? My money is on a "oh sorry we forgot to reject you, sorry" Is that what's on the menu?

Well, six weeks or so (if I recall correctly) passed after the interview with no word. I think at that point I called and they told me that they didn't have a decision. The administrator I spoke with said she would look into it or something like that. I don't exactly remember the sequence of events after that point. Some more time passed and I think I either called back or received a letter. Pretty sure I called, actually. I was wait listed. I honestly think they just don't make decisions over there until the last minute. I heard back from them about my wait list status at the end of August. 

Well, six weeks or so (if I recall correctly) passed after the interview with no word. I think at that point I called and they told me that they didn't have a decision. The administrator I spoke with said she would look into it or something like that. I don't exactly remember the sequence of events after that point. Some more time passed and I think I either called back or received a letter. Pretty sure I called, actually. I was wait listed. I honestly think they just don't make decisions over there until the last minute. I heard back from them about my wait list status at the end of August. 

August?? That's almost insulting.  'Hey pack your bags, you're starting school in a week and have fun finding an appartment'??  It doesn't help that school to get very qualified students either.  Who can say yes to such an offer except someone that has been refused everywhere else and has no other options (Or someone who has applied only to one place)

edit: However I don't mean that someone who gets refusals is necessarily unqualified, the selection process can be very subjective and unfair to extremely talented artists.

Edited by Lucia Werd