MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

I Interviewed at Hunter MFA on the 17th (Combined media). Just emailed them about when I should know regarding acceptance status and was told: "we will call or email later this week or next week". Hope this helps...

IUB folks, they are still not done making final decisions yet. Some programs aren't doing waitlisting and are accepting folks and then waiting for them to accept/decline before adding more folks!

yep, that definitely happened to me when I applied there for painting last year.  I finally called the last week of March when I saw other people had been accepted and rejected and they told me they were still deciding on some people.  I didn't actually get a real answer from them until the second week of April when I called again and they emailed me my notification.  

For what it's worth...RISD Admissions dept posted on their facebook page that some letters about RISD MFA Painting decisions were sent out Friday (march 22) and the rest will be sent out this week. No other details were posted.

I'm sort of going crazy deciding between Carnegie Mellon and RISD for an MFA in digital media/technology and art. Does anyone have any experience with either of these options or any comments on their reputation?

Both have given me ample packages with little debt. Carnegie is ranked #1 in this field but RISD is obviously ranked really high in everything. Canegies 3 years, RISD's 2. Both have stellar faculty and stellar facilities. This is painful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Well, six weeks or so (if I recall correctly) passed after the interview with no word. I think at that point I called and they told me that they didn't have a decision. The administrator I spoke with said she would look into it or something like that. I don't exactly remember the sequence of events after that point. Some more time passed and I think I either called back or received a letter. Pretty sure I called, actually. I was wait listed. I honestly think they just don't make decisions over there until the last minute. I heard back from them about my wait list status at the end of August. 

To quote Borat, "Wahwahweewah!"

But seriously that sucks. I've applied for the sculpture program, which is pretty tiny, so I imagine it might be a little less hectic figuring out whose coming or not. However, I do know that sometimes people decide to not go last minute and then they need to hurry up and get another candidate. In any case it's a bummer. If I haven't heard anything after another week or so, I'll call again. What program did you apply for and did you end up going? (I assume not if you're on the freak-out forum, unless you're just that nice :D )

I'm sort of going crazy deciding between Carnegie Mellon and RISD for an MFA in digital media/technology and art. Does anyone have any experience with either of these options or any comments on their reputation?

Both have given me ample packages with little debt. Carnegie is ranked #1 in this field but RISD is obviously ranked really high in everything. Canegies 3 years, RISD's 2. Both have stellar faculty and stellar facilities. This is painful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Have you visited both schools? I find that it is the best way to really feel the place, see if you fit there. It's really worth the trouble and the traveling cost. I visited quite a few universities. The best, if you can, is to get in touch with the director of your program. Have a tour of the place and the studios, meet with students, sit in a class if you can. One day there will really give you a good idea. So far people have been really kind and helpful everytime I visited a place (I even couchsurfed at some students' appartment on one visit).

If you have visited both places and you really don't know yet, maybe look at what opportunities each school can give you (contact, exhibition opportunities, the art community around the university)

Hope some of this can help a bit.

August?? That's almost insulting.  'Hey pack your bags, you're starting school in a week and have fun finding an appartment'??  It doesn't help that school to get very qualified students either.  Who can say yes to such an offer except someone that has been refused everywhere else and has no other options (Or someone who has applied only to one place)

edit: However I don't mean that someone who gets refusals is necessarily unqualified, the selection process can be very subjective and unfair to extremely talented artists.

I'd be very excited to get in if even as some kind of back-up. The process of applying to grad school is very humbling, something useful for artist who are more often than not egotists or narcissists of some type, myself included. I won't pass up on some humble pie.

But to your point, it is really annoying that they would have the audacity to tell you two weeks out. For myself in particular, I only applied to one graduate school because I was on the fence about whether I wanted to go or work for another year, so I only applied to my first choice. If I had got in, I would go, if not, I'd just work for another year and apply to other schools next year.

I just hate to wait. I don't mind eating the humble pie, just not months old humble pie please.

Carnegie Mellon.   

I was hoping to be in a situation where I couldn't decide between two schools so that I could participate in this...

https://www.freakonomicsexperiments.com

but alas, my decision was made easy due to finances.

Got acceptances over the weekend to MICA Rinehardt and CalArts. Now I just have to start making choices. Yikes.

Has anyone had experience with asking for decision deadline extensions? I won't get a financial aid package from CalArts until after April 1st, and the SAIC decision is due then.

Capers, have you (or anyone) heard back from Hunter yet?

i interviewed at Hunter for Photo and haven't heard anything yet. I'll be sure to post when I do. 

one of the current grads told me about when she was accepted - her friend received an acceptance call a couple of days before she did. for those couple of days she thought she hadn't been accepted. 

let's try to stay cool. we might not even hear until next week. ugh.

Anybody out there have any experience asking the schools you have been accepted to for more funding?

I'd call the financial aid office and ask if you can get an increase in federal/institutional funding. If you received an acceptance call from a faculty member, give them a call as well.  Also try to mention if you've gotten aid packages from other programs you've applied too.

No need to be coy - they know what's up.

nahum: I think we'll hear something by the end of the next week - maybe earlier

I have been disgussing/petitioning for more money from my acceptances, however, if the funding does not swing in my favor this year

I will be looking for various individual grants or fellowships to apply for.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you guys been receiving snail mail through a service like Fedex or through the national post? My country's post service is a disaster and one of my nightmares is that the letter has been waiting in some provincial office and will arrive at my doorstep in September. :))

Edited by doctorawho

Not directly connected to the conversation of graduate schools but I know people have discussed Skowhegan here before. Anyone hear back from them yet? Or, does anyone know when they announce who they accepted for the Summer?

hallelujah! finally got notifications from all schools.

final tally:

cal arts: accepted

cca: accepted

tyler: top of the waitlist

hunter: rejected

vcu: rejected

i'm 90% sure i'm going to cal arts. waiting on financial aid letter to see what's up. 

briecheese, will you be going to cca or cal arts?

hallelujah! finally got notifications from all schools.

final tally:

cal arts: accepted

cca: accepted

tyler: top of the waitlist

hunter: rejected

vcu: rejected

i'm 90% sure i'm going to cal arts. waiting on financial aid letter to see what's up. 

briecheese, will you be going to cca or cal arts?

I'm in the same boat. My gut is leaning one way already but waiting to hear about funding from both schools before deciding. congrats to you!

I'd call the financial aid office and ask if you can get an increase in federal/institutional funding. If you received an acceptance call from a faculty member, give them a call as well.  Also try to mention if you've gotten aid packages from other programs you've applied too.

No need to be coy - they know what's up.

nahum: I think we'll hear something by the end of the next week - maybe earlier

Thanks Capers! good luck getting lots of funding from Columbia, but if they don't offer enough in scholarship, I know a few people who went and they all got help from the financial office with applying to outside grants.