MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

waitlisted at yale hmmmmmmm  

any painters get into yale and going somewhere else? :wub:  

Or anyone ever gotten off the waitlist at yale?

I didn't apply to RISD or Columbia or UCLA or hunter, i figure yale at least has good competition from those places.  Still waiting to hear from NYU and Tyler, both wonderful programs, but feelin' pretty nervous and disappointed now.  

Still waiting to hear from NYU and Tyler, both wonderful programs, but feelin' pretty nervous and disappointed now.  

I've been in touch with NYU several times... the last email said that if I didn't hear anything by early April, I should call. I plan to call on Wednesday - I really like everything about the department, but the admission process leaves a lot to be desired. I had to call Columbia a bunch of times regarding my previous Masters program though, so maybe this is more typical than we think - just admission anxiety!

New to the forum.  Hi all.  I'm 40 (still alive, thanks), and have been pretty successful in business, but a long time wannabe artist (sculptor), have a reasonable amount of work and have spent weekends for many years at various schools.

My question is - at my age, should I even bother applying for Columbia?  I feel like I want to (and thank fully can afford to) go to the best, but if it will be me and a bunch of 23-year olds I'm thinking that could be a bit challenging (although fun I'm sure ;) )

I'm a slight bit older, but I don't see why age should play any factor unless you're intimidated by talented youngsters. And what's wrong with talented young people anyway?!  You don't have to live with them, just discuss art - it might open up a fresh perspective on some things... you never know.  Some of my favorite artists are twenty years younger and twenty years older than I am. 

New to the forum.  Hi all.  I'm 40 (still alive, thanks), and have been pretty successful in business, but a long time wannabe artist (sculptor), have a reasonable amount of work and have spent weekends for many years at various schools.

My question is - at my age, should I even bother applying for Columbia?  I feel like I want to (and thank fully can afford to) go to the best, but if it will be me and a bunch of 23-year olds I'm thinking that could be a bit challenging (although fun I'm sure ;) )

Any thoughts?

A

I'm a slight bit older, but I don't see why age should play any factor unless you're intimidated by talented youngsters. And what's wrong with talented young people anyway?!  You don't have to live with them, just discuss art - it might open up a fresh perspective on some things... you never know.  Some of my favorite artists are twenty years younger and twenty years older than I am. 

Ahh, word. I'm 23, and am a little offended by the first post-I understand your point to a certain degree, but mostly it seems like agism, and if I'm being honest that kind of close-mindedness isn't going to translate well as far as learning goes no matter what the school. 

Ahh, word. I'm 23, and am a little offended by the first post-I understand your point to a certain degree, but mostly it seems like agism, and if I'm being honest that kind of close-mindedness isn't going to translate well as far as learning goes no matter what the school. 

To be fair isn't the average age of an MFA candidate around 26-28? lol but yeah those of us that are 23-24 fought tooth and nail to get into a program, age shouldn't be a deterrent. 

I got an e-mail a couple days ago from the MFA program at Hunter saying I've been wait-listed for Spring 2014, however today I received an e-mail from CUNY Hunter Graduate Admissions office saying that my application status is available online. When I login it says I've been accepted as a graduate student for the Fall 2013 semester and that I need to mail them my official transcript and pay a commitment deposit?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm assuming the MFA program notifies graduate admissions that the wait-listed students are accepted in order to make things less complicated in case I end up getting bumped up off the waitlist? Or maybe someone just made a mistake somewhere? I'm not too keen on the idea of paying a $250 deposit and paying to have my transcripts sent in if I'm not actually officially accepted..

I got an e-mail a couple days ago from the MFA program at Hunter saying I've been wait-listed for Spring 2014, however today I received an e-mail from CUNY Hunter Graduate Admissions office saying that my application status is available online. When I login it says I've been accepted as a graduate student for the Fall 2013 semester and that I need to mail them my official transcript and pay a commitment deposit?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm assuming the MFA program notifies graduate admissions that the wait-listed students are accepted in order to make things less complicated in case I end up getting bumped up off the waitlist? Or maybe someone just made a mistake somewhere? I'm not too keen on the idea of paying a $250 deposit and paying to have my transcripts sent in if I'm not actually officially accepted..

I received the same email stating I am waitlisted Spring 2014 but the online decision says accepted Fall 2013. 

This is confusing. 

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to call the admissions office. I'm going to try not to get my hopes up. 

Hello friends,

I'm a self learned Artist. I would like to pursue a degree in Art and Design. I have some doubts regarding choosing the course. I know a friend, who did his Bachelors in Engineering and did his masters in Fine arts - Art and Design. I'm also looking for the same study since I'm an Engineering Graduate. Can you ppl help me finding the universities?

Thank you

Hello friends,

I'm a self learned Artist. I would like to pursue a degree in Art and Design. I have some doubts regarding choosing the course. I know a friend, who did his Bachelors in Engineering and did his masters in Fine arts - Art and Design. I'm also looking for the same study since I'm an Engineering Graduate. Can you ppl help me finding the universities?

Thank you

Hi Chan!

Are you interested in a art and technology program (combining your engineering and art backgrounds)?  If so you may want to do some research into the programs at MIT, RPI, ITP at New York University, and AMT at Parsons.

Anyone going to BU? I got into Pratt and SVA as well but BU offered the best financial aid. (None from Pratt, not much from SVA)

What opinion do you guys have about BU as a university in general, and their college of fine arts?

Still waiting on RISD.. Going to find out on Monday whether I made it off the waitlist or not. Hate that they're taking so long!

Hi Forum -- I'm hoping to get people's opinion. I was accepted into a couple of programs and had pretty much made up my mind that I would go to Berkeley. Then yesterday, I got a call from Cornell saying that I was accepted there. Now I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if any of you might have any thoughts. 

I visited Berkeley a couple of weeks ago and liked it. I like that SF and Oakland are right there so you can connect with an art scene outside of school. BUT their studios are located 7 miles from campus, away from the wood shop, the printmaking shop, etc, and I won't have a car. There's a shuttle, but it only runs until 6pm and doesn't run on weekends. There's a beautiful bike trail that goes along the bay and takes you directly to the studios, but it's close to a 30 minute bike ride. Also, berkeley is  super bike friendly, but Richmond (where the studios are) is less so. I have a car now but I would fund my move by selling it (I'm on the east coast), so I wouldn't have the money to buy another car there. In order to move I'd probably have to also sell of my life possessions too.

On the other hand, I am on the east coast so moving to Ithaca would be way easier. I wouldn't need to sell my car and I could just move all of my things there (studio furniture, tools, desktop computer, etc). And living in Ithaca is CHEAP -- I'm talking $400 to rent a room (Berkeley $700-$900). I haven't visited but it looks like their studios and facilities are in two adjacent buildings on campus, making everything more accessible (unlike Berkeley). But I've been told that upstate NY is an island and there's no real connection to NYC. And obviously there's no art scene outside of the university. 

Does anyone know anything about these programs,  living in these cities, the toll of moving across the country (and starting over), etc that might help me make a more informed decision? 

Funding offers from both programs are somewhat similar. 

Also, I'm very much aware that the weather in Berkeley is paradise and that Ithaca is brutal.

Hi Forum -- I'm hoping to get people's opinion. I was accepted into a couple of programs and had pretty much made up my mind that I would go to Berkeley. Then yesterday, I got a call from Cornell saying that I was accepted there. Now I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if any of you might have any thoughts. 

I visited Berkeley a couple of weeks ago and liked it. I like that SF and Oakland are right there so you can connect with an art scene outside of school. BUT their studios are located 7 miles from campus, away from the wood shop, the printmaking shop, etc, and I won't have a car. There's a shuttle, but it only runs until 6pm and doesn't run on weekends. There's a beautiful bike trail that goes along the bay and takes you directly to the studios, but it's close to a 30 minute bike ride. Also, berkeley is  super bike friendly, but Richmond (where the studios are) is less so. I have a car now but I would fund my move by selling it (I'm on the east coast), so I wouldn't have the money to buy another car there. In order to move I'd probably have to also sell of my life possessions too.

On the other hand, I am on the east coast so moving to Ithaca would be way easier. I wouldn't need to sell my car and I could just move all of my things there (studio furniture, tools, desktop computer, etc). And living in Ithaca is CHEAP -- I'm talking $400 to rent a room (Berkeley $700-$900). I haven't visited but it looks like their studios and facilities are in two adjacent buildings on campus, making everything more accessible (unlike Berkeley). But I've been told that upstate NY is an island and there's no real connection to NYC. And obviously there's no art scene outside of the university. 

Does anyone know anything about these programs,  living in these cities, the toll of moving across the country (and starting over), etc that might help me make a more informed decision? 

Funding offers from both programs are somewhat similar. 

Also, I'm very much aware that the weather in Berkeley is paradise and that Ithaca is brutal.

Doesn't Cornell offer a full tuition waiver and stipend? I'd say that if your offer at Berkeley is as good as that, then you should definitely go there. Otherwise, I'd choose Cornell. The only real downside you mention about Berkeley is the location of the studios. Sure, it's not ideal, but I think you would be fine without a car. You can't find a relatively inexpensive moving service to get your things to CA? Could you store them in your parents' basement, or something like that? If both funding offers are the same, I just think Berkeley is a better choice. 

Hello friends,

Thank you

I agree with Capers. MIT. You should check out that program. CalArts has a Art and Trchnology program too. Haven't done a lot of research but MIT you should check out.

To be fair isn't the average age of an MFA candidate around 26-28? lol but yeah those of us that are 23-24 fought tooth and nail to get into a program, age shouldn't be a deterrent.

I would agree 100%. Age doesn't matter. Schools (I imagine) choose individuals based on a whole host of criteria none of which is age.

I mean, I won't lie... I have had moments where I am like, "Jennifer Lawernce is HOW old?! What.. What have I been doing with my life...?!" But, age is only a hinderence for those who see it as one.

Edited by e.lewin

Doesn't Cornell offer a full tuition waiver and stipend? I'd say that if your offer at Berkeley is as good as that, then you should definitely go there. Otherwise, I'd choose Cornell. The only real downside you mention about Berkeley is the location of the studios. Sure, it's not ideal, but I think you would be fine without a car. You can't find a relatively inexpensive moving service to get your things to CA? Could you store them in your parents' basement, or something like that? If both funding offers are the same, I just think Berkeley is a better choice. 

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Berkeley offered full tuition waiver but practically no stipend (just one semester). Cornell offered TA stipend for every semester, but I have to pay 5k of tuition per year (10k total). Not a huge difference between the two, just seems structured differently.

I received the same email stating I am waitlisted Spring 2014 but the online decision says accepted Fall 2013.

This is confusing.

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to call the admissions office. I'm going to try not to get my hopes up.

HDSL and jaybird. This is weird. I have only gotten an email. No notification online. Makes me begin to worry about my admissions status! I'll be so bummed if they made a mistake. Let me know what you find out... Hopefully they can address it quickly...

This is confusing. 

Let's hope it's for the fall!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hey guys, anyone have any leads on schools in the us that are strong in painting or interdisciplinary studio and have a diverse faculty? As an abstract painter I was at a loss this app go round for affordable programs with strong diverse faculty that included ANY abstract painters. Also any strong faculty interested in feminist theory or working in gender, queer, or feminist themes? Extra points for schools that offer full assistant ships and teaching opportunities. Bard's mfa was recommended to me by a painter on staff at Hunter, BUT it's a low res summer mfa, so no teaching assistantships.... Thanks for any tips!