November Elections

1Q84

So, opinions on the November elections?

I'm no expert on contemporary American politics (or any, for that matter) but most CSU schools say that their enrolment will depend on the results of those elections, so it affects me in a big way!

Did you read the same article as I did this morning? B)

For Golden State's Public Colleges, No Silver Bullet

It's terrifying; all I can think of is 1) my 29-year old brother, who's (finally!) trying his damndest to cope with learning disabilities and get his college degree, and 2) my dream job is one in California!

Mostly, though, I keep thinking that the election might be the thing that sends me over the edge in finally disengaging from social media, even if only temporarily for fall semester. Already the tide of angry/ill-informed political rhetoric is rising (along with my blood pressure).

Grrr... the article is only for subscribers. But the photo caption says enough, I guess.

I hope all works out well for your brother! Is he already in the system or he's applying now? My dream job is in California too... well, once I get my doctorate, that is.

Should we be blaming the feds or is this Jerry Brown's fault? I need someone to blame, damnit! :P

But yeah, this election seems particularly fraught with really nasty political rhetoric. I get the feeling that it's coming from both sides. I'm gonna have to do my best to keep up with it, however.

How about blaming the California legislature? They are the ones who make the laws in California.

Similarly, people should be looking at Congress rather than the President. Congress makes the laws. The House creates tax bills.

Grrr... the article is only for subscribers. But the photo caption says enough, I guess.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a copy.

Bro took one class over the summer, which he aced! We are so proud. He even rose to the challenge of the term paper assignment, which was a review and critique of a peer-reviewed article (I thought this a bit much for an intro-level psych class, but he did well). He's waiting until Spring to continue, though. I hope he perseveres; the administrative hurdles are many.

Yes, there's keeping up with debate...I do plan to make sure I'm well-informed on every issue on my ballot...but the social media sphere seems more prone to people "liking" stupid pics, out-of-context quotes, and political cartoons...whenever this shows up in my feed, I interpret it as a personal affront to me! :P

This.

Mostly, though, I keep thinking that the election might be the thing that sends me over the edge in finally disengaging from social media, even if only temporarily for fall semester. Already the tide of angry/ill-informed political rhetoric is rising (along with my blood pressure).

I keep myself relatively well informed, but that's about it. I'm not going to waste my energy arguing with people that don't agree with me and aren't going to change their opinion. Politics in this country are toxic, and they nearly all politicians suck. Even the ones I like.

What's Prop 13? Sorry, I'm quite ignorant of CA politics!

Also, who in the legislature and congress are the ones passing these asinine laws? Republicans, in general?

• 3 weeks later...

Obama. Romney will be a catastrophe greater than or equal to George W. Bush.

This.

Oh and political/social issues threads like this are always interesting; I'm thinking of the guns on campuses thread from like a year ago in particular.

/inb4 arguing

• 2 weeks later...

Nancy Pelosi's dismissive comment about Romney recent has me fearing that lazy Democrats (ie. a large majority) across America will just kick back and wait for Obama to get re-elected. Seriously scary.

Everyone go out and vote and make everyone you know vote too!

• 3 weeks later...

After the debate I am now enjoying the BigBird GIFs.

Awesome. This is great, b/c the Big Bird comment was the only thing I coherently heard during the debate...it was on while we were at a bar during a rather rousing happy hour.

As I don't live in a swing state, and it's clear as day which way this state will go, I promised myself not to get riled up about the pres. race - my energy's better spent on my work, and reading up on all the CA props that will be on the ballot.

We live just outside the district and I commute in regularly so either way, I'm just pretty sick of commercials. When my friend and my entertainment on the metro is to compare campaign ads we saw the day before (the "Dear Daughter" one is still one of our favorites, reminded us of the "3am" one a bit), we know it's been too much.

Frankly, I was more looking forward to the Stewart/O'Reilly debate yesterday than the Romney/Obama one.

Shocking. A college message board all voting for Obama. I'm not for either candidate. They both suck. I wish there was a legitimate wildcard.

I think Big Bird just became a viable candidate. Write in campaign?

I'm all for new candidates but the trend right now is Romney will win based on the numbers. Obama was in the league till he laid a goose egg in the debate and then Ryan will destroy Biden Thursday since oaken almost beat him and according to a lot of people did beat him four years ago. For polling you on,y need to look at one number independents. Combine that they are leaning Romney way now with the fact more and more democrats are switching to independent and republicans than vice versa you know Romney will be our president in 2013 for better kor worst.

I'm all for new candidates but the trend right now is Romney will win based on the numbers.

That is not an accurate statement. While it is certainly possible Romney wins, "the numbers" suggest his chances of doing so are only 23-29%, post first debate. The GOP ticket certainly improved those odds from the previous ones of <10% prior to the first debate, that that is a long way from an assured win.

http://www.nerdwalle...arkets/election

http://fivethirtyeig...gs.nytimes.com/

The statistics on both sites are fairly convincing, and unlike opinion columns and such I haven't seen anything that looks biased, just good math that is historically grounded. UK oddsmakers are giving similar numbers if you want to put your money on it (can't legally in the US of course, but maybe you're overseas):

http://meatandpotato...ntial-election/

Edited 10/10 to reflect latest stats.

Edited by Usmivka

Usmiv- your data is old. Romney has a 7 point lead in Florida based on a yahoo article today.what I mean is. Maybe not at this exact moment but it's momentum. Every yahoo article was pro Obama and anti Romney along with the indi vote. Since the first debate, a lot of indi votes are going Romney instead. And since the debate every article on yahoo has been pro Romney. Americas believe what they see on yahoo. I'm sorry I offended you but get ready for Romney as the next president. Obama even apologized for sucking in the debate and ryans vs Biden is tonight and Ryan is a great debater. Romney already has 135 electoral votes in the bag so much so media outlets aren't even doing exit polls in those states vs Obama 35. And that does not count forida or Iowa which will go republican this year due to democrats losing 8.6,Florida, and 6.8,iowa, percent of their registered voters and republicans actually gained registered voters in those states.