University of Florida

The results page lists three acceptances (two Film and Media Studies, one unknown) and one rejection. Does anyone know if UF is done notifying? I can't find anything on their site about the English department admissions process, though I've found it for other schools.

I'm curious about the rejection, which is posted as "via email." Did you email and receive a reply, or was it sent to you without prompting? If it *was* sent without requesting your status, is this standard? (And what does it mean for those who don't receive notification? That the application was not reviewed because the applicant didn't meet cut-off requirements?) Moreover, are waitlist notifications standard before or after rejections and through which medium? I'm utterly confused and despairing :? :?: :? , and I apologize for my crazy post.

I'm afraid to email/call the department to ask about my status since my professors keep telling me it's "still early in the game" and to give it a few more weeks. However, I did talk to someone who works for the admissions office, and he told me they don't update the "check your status!" page unless you've been admitted. That doesn't seem very helpful...

Edit: Word is they're sending official notifications next week. I'm fine with that. (I guess, in the words of my peers, "JAY-KAY" to this whole post). Thanks everyone for attempting to alleviate stress.

It's fine to call and ask about the status of your application. You can be nice, express your enthusiasm for the program and ask when notifications will be sent out. You don't need to take up a lot of the admin person's time and they are usually very helpful (at least in the Mass Comm department). Good luck.

Did you get that notification email from Dr. Kidd saying that you would be informed in a couple weeks? From the date of that email I would say you still have at LEAST a week until you should start to even think about being concerned...

I applied, recevied that email, and haven't heard anything, yet. I assume that if the DGS took the time to email a pre-notification, he'll be kind enough to contact you with the ACTUAL notification when they know. There might be an unofficial waitlist and they're waiting to hear back from others or they might be working alphabetically or the posts might not be accurate, etc...

With all that said, however, I agree with the previous poster; if it will give you much-needed peace of mind, go ahead and contact them, but I say they are one of the few schools I'm not stressed about because they've been keeping the lines of communication open.

hope this helps! :)

I was one of the film studies acceptances and all I can really verify is that they are only accepting 15 people and that I got my call last Friday from Dr. Kidd. There are currently 8 acceptances posted (if I counted right) which doesn't necessarily bode well...but who knows. And I have no idea about any waitlist. I would contact them if it's really bothering you, it looks like someone did that and found out they were rejected (posted). It might not be good news, but at least it'd be closure.