why do you need to apply earlier than the deadline?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

it seems like commonly accepted knowledge to apply earlier than the actual deadline, but why? Just curious what the benefits are. I'm sure applying the day before the deadline wouldn't prohibit you from getting accepted, otherwise there would be no deadline. I did hear from a source that the earlier you apply the better chance you have of getting funding. Is this true? If so, how much earlier-- 6 months? (I exaggerate)... Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I thought you applied for funding separately--meaning application for funding is not part of your application for admission. The person who told me the funding application is part of the admission application is an international student (non-US) so maybe it's different for Americans. I'm pretty sure I've seen separate applications for funding on websites. So if the funding application is separate, what is the point of applying 1 or 2 months before the admission application deadline? Any info would be useful.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

I would start the applications early to give recommenders enough time to submit their letters, but I don't think it really matters.

I finished three applications the day they were due and it did not have any effect on my admissions... those are the three programs I DID get into. In fact, the first program that admitted me (which is where I'm going) let me know informally less than two weeks after I turned in the application.

I submitted almost all of my applications the day that they were due because December is a very busy time!! Usually when a school says "Dec 15", they really mean 11:59:59PM local time on Dec 15. Programs with rolling admissions or other special circumstances excepted, the admissions committee will likely not even see your application until January. However, it's probably smarter to submit 1-2 days in advance because there might be server overload issues due to procrastinators like me. In addition, Murphy's law will probably make your internet connection crap out or something just before you want to submit!

If there are fellowship reasons to apply early, they will usually tell you. Otherwise, most awards are considered internally (i.e. awarded to the best qualified applicants).

I think it's a disadvantage to apply, say, more than 1 month early. I found the period before applications to be very stressful and filled with self-doubt! One day I will be super certain about my future plans and I'd be motivated to work on the SOP. Other days, I was feeling "argh why am I applying for ~5 more years of this??" and I won't be able to get anything productive done towards applications. So giving myself more time to work on the applications meant there were more "good days" where I am able to coherently express myself. In addition, if you are waiting for a paper to be submitted, or accepted, etc. then a few more weeks could make a big difference.

However, you should definitely START the applications a few months early and let your letter writers know so they are prepared.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Oh, I've definitely started months in advance. I'm talking about when I actually submit the application. I hear from many people you should submit early, but I don't really see the logic. I guess that makes more sense at the undergrad level because I'm sure many undergrad universities stop accepting after they fill their quota. But thanks. Everyone has been real helpful. The earliest deadline of the schools I'm interested in (which happens to be the school I want to get into the most) is December 15th. After that, the next ones don't appear to be until February and some are even rolling year round.

I submitted my applications early (some more than a month in advance) because I was just ready to be done with them, and because I knew that I was going to have to devote all of my time to papers and projects at the end of the semester. I felt a little odd about finishing them so early, but I am glad I did, because I had those last few weeks of the semester to really focus on my projects (one of which I used later as a writing sample) and I was able to enjoy my winter break without deadlines looming over me.

But there's no reason to submit them so early, if you don't want to. A few days in advance might be good just in case of Internet emergencies, but other than that I don't think it matters so much.

I recently met informally a professor from a school I am interested in applying. He told me that their deadline is January 1st, but they usually start looking at applications as soon as December 1st and make a few offers even before January 1st! This information is not on their website and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't run across some inside information. It made me think that maybe more schools that don't say they have rolling admission may still make some decisions before getting all applications. Now I plan to apply early everywhere.

In Canada and in some fields (e.g. Physics), schools don't say it and they give a "deadline date" but it's basically rolling admissions. Since it's pretty up to a prof whether or not they want to take you on, then profs will see your applications as they come in and may make offers if they are sure about you.

However, in these cases, I think if you are good enough to be admitted before they even see the other candidates, then you would still be good enough to be admitted after Jan 1. The only advantage you'd get is knowing the result earlier, but not every school will do this and you will probably want to hear back from most of your schools anyways before making a decision!

It only matters when

(1) You are applying to a department that has rolling admissions

(2) You are applying in a field where you are admitted and funded directly by your supervisor, as opposed to by your department (this is the case that TakeruK is describing).

In fields where you are admitted to the department in general and then later on are assigned an advisor (most Humanities and Social Sciences, some other fields) then the department (or more accurately, the admissions committee) as a whole needs to gather and made decisions about applicants. Applicants are funded by the department and not by individual professors so decisions need to meet general departmental criteria. In that case, it's unlikely that they will begin looking at applications before the deadline. Decisions need to be made on a departmental level - the adcom may flag you as an interesting applicant before the deadline or after it but if only X spots are available then only the best X applicants (plus some margin) in the pool will get offers. It doesn't matter when you were flagged.

In fields where decisions can be made early - e.g. a professor who directly hires her own students or a department with rolling admissions - the relevant decision makers may decide to admit you at any time. It may make sense to submit early. However, if you're a top applicant you should do fine even if you submit very close to the deadline.

I'm planning to submit a few weeks early, simply to be sure there are no problems. That way, if for some reason a file didn't go through or something, I can find out before the deadline and still get everything submitted on time. I also took the GRE with extra time to retake if necessary... so maybe this is just because I'm a planner and a worrier. Also, I am telling my recommenders that I'm planning to submit a few weeks early, so hopefully this will prod them to get their letters in on time... :)

• 2 weeks later...