Rhetorical Theory

Hello everyone,

My name is Ofer, a candidate for doctoral studies in Communication. In the last few weeks I've been researching for a methedology for analysing political speeches using Rhetorical Theory.

Could someone recommand of an updated research that analyses a political speech while focusing on Rhetorical Theory (or any other rhetorical method used in Communication field) as a methodological tool?

Thank you in advance,

Ofer.

• 4 months later...

i've never heard as "theory" referred to as a method. i think you're referring to rhetorical criticism? in which case, I suggest starting with Kenneth Burke. if you want to work with rhetorical theory (Classical Antiquity, continental philosophy, critical theory, etc), then you're method section would, I imagine, function primarily to argue for why your body of literature/various theoretical perspectives are compatible and relevant to the problem/issue/question you are exploring.

I won't jump in on the whole theory/method thing here except to say it sounds (to me) like oferlanger is looking for an application of theory qua method, more or less. oferlanger?  In any case, a couple of obscure gems I like are Christina Foust's _Transgression as a Mode of Resistance: Rethinking social Movement in an Era of Corporate Globalization_ and Rachel Riedner and Kevin Mahoney's _Democracies to Come: Rhetorical Action, Neoliberalism, and Communities of Resistance_.  Both approach political rhetoric from the Communications department, I guess you could say, and specifically, they critique the rhetoric of a political landscape characterized by Hardt and Negri's _Empire_, which is what got me into these theorists.  I had a project going where I linked Hardt and Negri to Kairos as a rhetorical technique even though they're not explicit about it in their work (although Negri, solo, is elsewhere, notably _Time for Revolution_). The common rhetorical ground for all of these would be the rhetoric of resistance, which first assumes a rhetoric of power, which is what it sounds like you're looking for. And they all do some kind of Marxist-Nietzchean fusion, with Marx as the explanation of power and Nietzche as the blend of kairotic affect to combat that power. Fun stuff.

Hello everyone,

My name is Ofer, a candidate for doctoral studies in Communication. In the last few weeks I've been researching for a methedology for analysing political speeches using Rhetorical Theory.

Could someone recommand of an updated research that analyses a political speech while focusing on Rhetorical Theory (or any other rhetorical method used in Communication field) as a methodological tool?

Thank you in advance,

Ofer.

I second SR0304, Kenneth Burke is a great place to start.

In regards to using dramatism to analyze political pieces; you may want to take a look here  http://www.ukessays.com/essays/cultural-studies/theory-of-dramatism-and-kenneth-burke.php