Poll: How many applications submitted?

herbie77

How applications submitted?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many applications did you/are you planning on submitting?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16+

I'm applying to 10ish. I want to apply to more but I feel bad asking my professors to write all these recommendations. I know they can copy/paste but they still have to sort through all these links filling up their inbox.

I'm applying to 10ish. I want to apply to more but I feel bad asking my professors to write all these recommendations. I know they can copy/paste but they still have to sort through all these links filling up their inbox.

I wouldn't hold back from applying to all of the schools that you want. It's so competitive, and professors understand that more than anyone. I told my recommenders up front that I was applying to 15 schools, and they seriously had no problem with it. They told me not to worry about the number of schools and that they would be happy to provide as many letters as I needed. I was very hesitant about 15 schools, but no one seemed surprised by it, and I knew I'd kick myself later if I didn't give this my best shot. Now, the reality of preparing 15 applications is setting in... lol... spreadsheets are your friend :)

Hmm. I guess you're right. I just haven't spoken to them in a few years. But I suppose it's better to increase your chances, even if it means being a nuisance. And my spreadsheets are out of control.

I'm trying to stay regional - this is my second time through the process, as I completed my master's midway through a PhD program and left (mostly for personal/relationship/family reasons). So I'm limiting myself to stuff in the Northeastern area - probably a few that are "safe" picks (BC, UMass Amherst, UConn), some riskier ones (Yale, U. Maryland) and maybe some reaches (Penn might be a reach for me. Harvard is probably too much of a reach - I've already done my time in a top 5 program and don't feel like rolling the dice again).

Probably will total 6 or 7 when all's said and done.