Portfolios?

AmandaBR

Any suggestions on portfolios?

For campus visits, are people taking traditional portfolios of matted work?

And for submission portfolios, are you submitting 15-20 works from a single series or from several bodies of work?

Also, if applying to a program that stresses its interdisciplinary approach, how important is it to have work in your portfolio that crosses disciplinary boundaries? I have done some experimental work that blurs those lines, but my larger series are pretty much straight photo.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't hurt to bring more work than that too. I've had multiple portfolio reviews where at the end I mention that I have more work if they are interested and 9 times out of 10 they'll look at it...so keep that in mind too, if you're pulling hair out trying to decide what to put in.

• 3 weeks later...

Another question regarding photo portfolios-- I work a lot in diptychs and triptychs and a previous photo professor just told me to make sure I pair those images together when I submit my portfolio (in the same file I guess?) as opposed to having single images standing on their own. The relationship between the images that I pair are important to the conceptual ideas of my work so I agree with her point, however, I wasn't sure if this is frowned upon by schools? I was thinking that if the total amount is 20 images (1 file with the diptych counting as 2 images) it would be OK?

Thoughts?

If it is a diptych or triptych it should stand as one image. By bringing the two or three together you are creating one image so in turn it will only be counted as one image. No schools from my knowledge look down upon this.