EPA Star Fellowship 2013

Alaudid

Well, I received more of the same news from Brandon Jones.  The waiting (and wondering how long we'll be waiting) game continues.  But at least he got back to me:

"Thanks for your patience.
Yes, the Sequester has put quite a damper on things, including award announcements. No award decisions have been made and right now we do not have a timeline for those decisions.
Sorry I cannot provide much more information than that.
M. Brandon Jones, PhD"

Thanks for sharing everyone. And, thanks for the update sone461. It seems like we have no choice but to wait for the announcements, if any at all.

Hi Everyone,

No news in MI for F1 (EM).

I hope with the sequester they can find money to fund as many fellows as possible. Thanks for posting~ Best of luck!

I just moved in the middle of March and I am now fretting about my change of address. I emailed the EPA to change my address and heard back nothing :(. I am now in EPA-limbo. Definitely have not received THE call. I am a B2. 

Edited by StanfordMonkey

Just spoke to Bronda Harrison at the EPA. She said, in not these exact words, that most of the definite rejections have already been sent out. There is still a remaining pool from which they will make decisions regarding awards. It was not clear if the remaining pool would all receive awards or not. If anyone is in my shoes (recently moved) you can contact the EPA via email and let them know. So I am waiting now to determine which group I am in. Best of luck to everyone. -B2

Just spoke to Bronda Harrison at the EPA. She said, in not these exact words, that most of the definite rejections have already been sent out. There is still a remaining pool from which they will make decisions regarding awards. It was not clear if the remaining pool would all receive awards or not. If anyone is in my shoes (recently moved) you can contact the EPA via email and let them know. So I am waiting now to determine which group I am in. Best of luck to everyone. -B2

Thanks for the update! Did you get any sense of the timing from her?

Thanks!

Hi Marshymarsh,

I asked that to, although this time via email. She replied in email: "As far as I know, the following standard language is still appropriate.

Question: When are the 2013 Fellowships going to be announced?

Response: At this time, we do not have an expected date for the 2013 Fellowship announcement. We will update you on this as more information is available."

Yep. I keep reading it over and over...maybe there is a hidden code inside? :P

Hi everyone,

I'm a 2012 STAR fellow and have been anxiously awaiting my renewal contract. I sent out several emails to folks at the EPA this morning. I was told this:

"EPA intends to satisfy our commitments to fund existing STAR Fellowships awarded in 2012 and prior years, subject to the availability of funds. No decisions have been made regarding the Fall 2013 EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships for Graduate Environmental Study RFA."

Good luck to everyone.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 2012 STAR fellow and have been anxiously awaiting my renewal contract. I sent out several emails to folks at the EPA this morning. I was told this:

"EPA intends to satisfy our commitments to fund existing STAR Fellowships awarded in 2012 and prior years, subject to the availability of funds. No decisions have been made regarding the Fall 2013 EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships for Graduate Environmental Study RFA."

Good luck to everyone.

so the "subject to the availability of funds" parts means funding could possibly be reduced?  I'm just curious.

I would rather wait for a "yes" than receive a premature "no." However long it takes them to decide, it is worth it to those of us that are dependent on receiving the funding. If it takes them all summer (which I hope it doesn't), i'll wait. 

So I am officially in the waiting pool and have not received a rejection yet. Maybe we should do a quick survey for all those of us out there who are still waiting (include your FON). Who else is waiting and has not received a rejection letter? 

B2 in California!

Does anyone know the EPA's current policy on deferring fellowships?  I am imagining a scenario in which they decide to award the fellowship this year, but one's application to school this year has been denied for lack of funding.  Any idea whether the fellowship could be deferred until next year?

It sure is looking that way isn't it?  I'm wondering what the future effects of the sequester will be.  NSF GRFP and some of the other fellowships were still able to grant this year largely, I think, due to the fact that the sequester was implemented after they had already budgeted for the fiscal year.  I wonder what budgets written with the sequester in place will look like.  Oh well.  I guess we'll find out next year.