Columbia-English and Comp Lit

Talked to a friend today who applied and is in contact with the DGS/some of the adcom: they got over 700 (holy crap) applications and are not finished going through them as of last night. Probably be until the middle of March, from what I understand.

Hang in there!!!

I hope this is not bad news for anybody else. I was notified of an acceptance yesterday, by email. But often, I think, these things go in waves, so as somebody else said, they may not be done mailing out acceptances yet. Good luck everybody!

I don't have much insight into the process, but I heard unofficially on Tuesday via email, then heard officially on Weds from the DGS and got a call from another professor. I know they are having a visiting day for admitted students in 2 weeks. Hope this helps. I know hearing nothing when other people are posting acceptances is miserable--believe me, I've been/am in that boat for other programs! Which makes me wonder why I even look at these sites...?

Congrats to all accepted! I figure Columbia's going to accept one (maaaayybe two or three) people from each field of study/time period. Would those of you who were accepted mind posting about what period/topic you intend to research? Maybe the rest of us can get an idea of what our odds are...

Just saw somebody's post on the Result Page saying that if we haven't heard anything from their department, it means unofficial rejection. And someone posted "Rejected via Website" too--has Columbia made its decisions online already? I just logged onto Columbia's application system and nothing changed. Hmmmmm... has anyone received anything definitive yet? Thanks for reply!!! 8)

still waiting as well... i checked the website as well but nothing changed (where in the website are we supposed to find the notification anyway?)

i'm starting to feel pessimistic.. but don't quite have the courage to give the a call yet..

keep posting updates!

I think Applyyourself displays decision status in its main page--that is the first portal page after you log in with your pin and password. A link reading "Decision Available" will miraculously appear from nowhere. Well... at least that was how Yale had rejected me on Applyyourself :lol:

On Apply Yourself, when you first log in, there is a link called "message center" off to the right.

Mine still says "no decision available" when I click it, but they have 700 rejected applicants to log in to the system, so maybe it's taking a while. I've only seen one or two posters about Columbia rejections and at least one specified the rejection was a response to an email.

• 2 months later...

Any more news from Columbia?

I applied to the terminal M.A. only, and that wasn't even due until April 15th, so I am sure it will take a while, but I heard (though not from an extremely reliable source) that some people who were not admitted to the PhD program were offered M.A. spots already?

Not sure how their system works, but thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone had any info.

Thanks!