In the thick of it yet?

crazedandinfused

Hi guys!!

I figured I'd just stop back and see how everyone who just started their new programs/new semesters is coping. The 2012 application season was a real blast (in a very weird way) and its nice to actually have the seminars and endless reading assignments we worked so hard to be in.

I'm pretty darn close to keeping up with the onslaught. A close friend of mine tragically passed away last week and I spent a day or two pretty crushed (there was actually a point where I flung Joan Scott across the room, wailing: "I can't concentrate on this sh*t right now!) so I will have to spend a day or two locked in the library so I don't get lost in the weeds.

I'm still waiting on my first stipend check.... Only $80 left on the grocery store gift card!!

Where are my comrades Goldie and Oseirus?? AFB, please don't fall off the radar.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Good to see you c&i. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. This is a difficult time of transition no matter what, but there's never a good time for a friend to pass away.

For my part, I'm doing reasonably well. I told myself that I would spend my first semester concentrating on survival, so I'm not being terribly ambitious right now in terms of involvement and extra work. So far I've actually been able to meet people and have some time for relaxing as well, which has pleasantly surprised me.

Just remember that during the first semester you will think everyone is brilliant and smarter than you. After the second semester, you will realize that most of them are full of hot air. At least that is how it is in my program. Also, be careful when it comes to making friends. Grad school students can be ruthless. People pretending to be your friend and drop you once they got what they are needed is pretty common. In fact, a lot of former grad school students have experienced the same thing or at least that is what they have told me. Most of them are wonderful, but keep your elbows out a little bit.

Just remember that during the first semester you will think everyone is brilliant and smarter than you. After the second semester, you will realize that most of them are full of hot air. At least that is how it is in my program. Also, be careful when it comes to making friends. Grad school students can be ruthless. People pretending to be your friend and drop you once they got what they are needed is pretty common. In fact, a lot of former grad school students have experienced the same thing or at least that is what they have told me. Most of them are wonderful, but keep your elbows out a little bit.

"People pretending to be your friend and drop you once they got what they are needed " What would be an example of what they want from you?

Crazy Cat Lady, I think that depends from program to program. We all need something occasionally from another historian, we need someone to explain some tangental part of our projects over coffee or give us the historiography in five minutes. As long as they're willing to do that for you as much as getting it from you... than that's not some deep betrayal of friendship.

I agree with NEN. It really depends on the program. My program is full of wonderfulness but not without drama (as in anywhere else). But people are cooperative and happy to share resources and materials. I've already acquired a shorter version of my reading list for my major field from another student. So it's quite nice. You just take what you can and offer what you can give.

I do love my program- the students are fun to be around and the professors are crazy smart and dedicated. Right now, I'm just over my head with my independent study course in my major field with my adviser. I am now realizing that i'm paying a huge price for skipping the undergrad survey course and am doing a lot of cramming!

For the most part, the people in my program are pretty good. However, I have found some of them to be backstabbing and play childish games. Rather not go into detail on here. Just keep your elbows out a tiny bit, but that is a good rule of life in general.

I'm sorry for your loss, crazedandinfused. My cousin was killed in late March (about a week after I made the last of my campus visits), and I found it so difficult to focus and come to terms with a violent and unexpected loss. It still lives with me every day. But the most important thing is to honour how you're feeling, even if it means putting your work aside for a little while so you can breathe.

It's only the second week here, but so far so good. I'm taking four courses and attending a few interesting workshops on campus. I think what I love most is the intellectual environment here, and the interdisciplinary conversations taking place in the workshops and events I've been to so far. I can't get over how amazing it was to sit in a seminar room last night to hear Achille Mbembe present a paper, with Jean and John Comaroff moderating the session and folks like Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Biodun Jeyifo joining in the discussion. I have to pretend I'm not starstruck sometimes.

The biggest challenge for me right now - as someone coming straight from undergrad - has been the transition to graduate student. I'm just starting to understand that I have to read strategically, because trying to read every word that's assigned is inefficient, if not impossible. I'm going to have to start working on my papers soon, knowing I can't churn out papers at 3am the day they're due anymore because the expectations are different. There's a lot I have to learn about graduate level research, but that's why I'm here. The program here also moves extremely fast, and today I submitted a two year plan of study to the department that includes my coursework this year and next, when I'll fulfill my language requirements, and the four fields I will be examined on during my general examination (which takes place at the end of second year).

Now back to the three books I have to read today :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

My adviser is out-of-the-world amazing. Those of you who know me from last cycle... I'm getting the other POI for my external member (if he says okay when he visits for a talk)!!!! And she encouraged me to spend a semester/year at his university! Fingers crossed that things will really work out. :)

And I LOVE my committee here. It's such an unique fit.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, so good. I love my cohort... we're a very small group (half the normal cohort size), so that's bringing us closer together.The other grad students (at least the ones in my field) have been very helpful and everyone has been incredibly welcoming.

If only it would cool down a bit... then I'd be on cloud 9. It's been RIDICULOUSLY hot!

• 1 month later...

I'm actually doing terrific. On this Thanksgiving, I'm just thankful that I will have soon made it through my first semester. It has been hard at times, but I'm excited for what's to come in the next few years. Hope you're doing well with everything, CageFree.

Is it just me, or are this year's applicants not freaking out as much as I remember from last year? Maybe that was just my mental state.

I agree as well with everything you've said, SToF.

As for future plans... um, ask me again in May. I'm just trying to get through my first year! :blink:

Is it just me, or are this year's applicants not freaking out as much as I remember from last year? Maybe that was just my mental state.

That's because we all started to freak out after applications were submitted, particularly after the first acceptances were posted.

I think people are just too busy trying to get everything done to be freaking out here (yet). I know that's true for me.

Edited by czesc

• 3 weeks later...