OGS 2013-14 Application Process

buffyslayergal

Does anyone have any information on the revised application process for OGS 2013-14? I've heard the competitions will now be run through individual universities, but there doesn't seem to be much information beyond that.

Will institutions be given guidelines/restrictions with regards to granting awards (e.g. will they have to give a certain percentage to each faculty/discipline)?

Do individual odds for winning an OGS go up or down with this new system?

And will there still be an opportunity for students heading into 5th year PhD to apply, should they meet the eligibility criteria? (I've heard rumours that 5th year OGS awards will be eliminated.)

Any information/rumours would be greatly appreciated! Bearing in mind, of course, that these things might vary now by institution.

This is my first time applying to OGS and yes, I have to do so through my university. My university had a minimum GPA requirement of 10, which is somewhat different from the A- OGS requirement. In fact, I was mistakenly told I was not eligible, but recently found out that I am in fact eligible (what a stressful week that was).

The OGS forms just became available last week through my university.

I am not sure how this will impact success rates. Does this mean, similar to NSERC, your application must be recommended by your faculty to OGS, or will all applications be forwarded to OGS?

What were previous success rates for OGS? I am optimistic, but who knows.

You might want to look into funding workshops at your university - they're often held around this time of year. The people running the workshop should go through everything step by step and answer any questions (at least in my experience).

I'm not sure how this new system would impact success rates but I know that the 2012/13 success rate was much lower than previous years (~50% down to ~25%) because of decreased funding available. Tough econ times!

Apparently you have to apply to each individual department and that school decides who gets what. So, the objectivity of the process is gone.

I have a feeling they will start using this as a tool to admit some people over others.

Absolutely. I do not doubt for a second that certain ambitious, unscrupulous people would favour their students over others when going over the pile of OGS applicants.

I understand the reasoning behind this decision, but it would be nice to know that my application is being read by a more objective person outside of my faculty.

A question for the PhD candidate OGS winners: what were your credentials?

I was surprised to see I can't list any of my conferences or other credentials with the OGS application - quite different from the NSERC application.

Anyway, I have 5 peer-reviewed publications (all first author) and a peer-review conference abstract as my 6 contributions. I have a 94% average for my MSc marks, but my undergrad transcript ranges from dismal failure to high 90's.

How will this black mark on my BSc transcript impact my standing? Will it be overlooked because of my publications and MSc marks, or could it prevent me from even being forwarded to the OGS Powers That Be?

I got this information today from my old University in Ontario:

1. The OGS is now completely governed by the school (like NSERC USRAs). So deadlines can be set by the school (my old school's deadline is in March 2013).

2. I think it will depend on school -- but there is an internal (department-level) screening first, with the best names in each department put forward to the school-wide competition.

3. 2-year awards can now be given, no need to apply each year.

4. If you're applying for admission this year too, then you have to apply for a OGS at every school (like NSERC USRAs).

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing or a new thing to use the OGS as a "tool to admit some people over others". In my experience, admissions committees always want to admit students with funding (or the potential to win funding) over those who do not have it. The unfortunate outcome is that certain student groups (e.g. international students) are not eligible for as much funding (so-called "visa OGS" are very rare). Overall, it still makes sense for schools to want to admit those who cost less and/or those who can win external funding. I'm saying this from the point of view of someone who has applied for schools both as a domestic student with funding and an international student with no funding at all.

To respond to snowshoes' question: I received an OGS for PhD studies for 2012-2013 year but I turned it down since I ended up going to school outside of Ontario. Your credentials are way higher than mine -- I had about the same # of publications, but no first author works at all. My MSc average was a bit lower and my BSc transcripts didn't have any "failures" but it was lacking in the "high 90s". Overall, for a PhD student, the MSc work will likely be more heavily weighted. If OGS parallels the NSERC CGS/PGS-D applications, then they will weigh research over coursework! In my own OGS application, my school accepted, as optional items, two additional documents: 1 page for awards/publications and 1 page for "significant achievements". These two pages basically correspond to the similar section in the NSERC application, so it was just a matter of reformatting.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, if I don't get at least the OGS I don't know what more they want from me!

I miscalculated something and asked my grad coordinator if I could change it (I submitted it a few days before the applications were due). They said that I could change it if my application would end up being forwarded to NSERC and, a few days ago, I was able to correct it.

So I'm hoping that means my application is being forwarded! I can't wait to check this message board in May, that was a hilarious, anxiety-filled time :)

My schools deadline i s mid-January but they haven't released any other details. I do know that my department is only allocated 12 OGS awards, which is a substantial drop in the number of awards students of that department normally bring in. I think it will up the competition and I definitely think it will be used in the admissions process.

• 5 months later...