How many schools should one apply to?

Loseric

I'm interested in applying to a Master's program in Education, Higher Education Administration specifically. For the past year, I've applied to many university administrative jobs and had no luck at all, as they all require (or "strongly prefer") Master's degrees. So, this is why I'm here. I already feel like I've wasted a year of my life in applying for jobs and not being successful, and I don't want to waste any more time. I need to get into a good Master's program on my first try. Tall order, right? ;)

So, here's my problem:

I have a poor GPA (2.9) from a prestigious private university. I will have excellent letters of recommendation and a strong statement of purpose. Have not taken the GRE yet (will take in October), but I think it will be fairly strong, ~320.

My GPA is my biggest worry and I fear that it will keep me from being admitted at most schools. I have been really pushing myself to study for the GRE so I can maximize my scores there. I think I can get a 170 (or close to it) in verbal, but math is more difficult for me and the best I'll probably be able to do is a 160. I'm really hoping my GRE will be my selling point and enough to overlook my awful GPA.

Here are my questions:

1. Will schools overlook a bad GPA for a great GRE score?

2. Knowing my situation (i.e., one shot at getting in to grad school), how many schools would you recommend applying to?

3. For graduate schools, is there such a thing as safety schools/reach schools/etc.? If so, how many would you suggest applying to in each category?

Thanks much in advance from this grad school applicant newbie!

1. Different programs put different weight on GPA. For the most part, excellent GRE scores can sometimes allow a lower GPA to be overlooked. I'm not in your field, but my GPA was a 3.1, and my research experience and LoRs were more important. I'm pretty sure my adviser didn't even look at my GPA when he was reviewing my application.

2. Honestly, it's up to you. My undergrad adviser told me to apply to ~10 schools to maximize chances of getting in without killing myself with applications. I've heard 9 as a recommendation with 3 schools you're sure you can get in, 3 probably, and 3 reach, but as I say below, I don't necessarily think there's any definite safety/reach schools for grad programs.

3. Personally, I think it depends on the type of program. I think there can be safety/reach schools in more class-based programs (like law or med school), but there's more of a gray area with lab/research based programs. For research-based programs, "fit" with the faculty/program is such an important thing. I was rejected by my "safety" school and accepted by my "reach" school.

Edited by 3point14

For the most part, excellent GRE scores can sometimes allow a lower GPA to be overlooked

um no. GPA is in up the top 1 or 2 parameters under consideration with LORs. GRE is at the bottom. I'm a STEM major, but I believe GPA should be a even more valuable indicator for non-STEMs.

um no. GPA is in up the top 1 or 2 parameters under consideration with LORs. GRE is at the bottom. I'm a STEM major, but I believe GPA should be a even more valuable indicator for non-STEMs.

Oops, I did meant to delete the "For the most part" part of my post. But like I said, it is different for different areas. I didn't mean it's not important at all, I definitely think my GPA kept me out of some of the programs I applied to. BUT, for at least one of the programs I applied to, I'm 100% sure GPA wasn't ranked with LoRs

Sorry to bud in but I want to apply to as many school as I can. I just want to know if I have about 3-4 people as references, how easy is it to ask them for 5 LORs for each of the schools I want to apply to?

Professors expect you to apply to more than one school. I used the same three letter writers for all my apps (I think it ended up being about 9ish)

now as far as the application is concerned, all you have to do is modify a paragraph or two on your SOP to accommodate for all the schools you're applying to, right? Everything else is a matter of sending the LORs, scores, transcripts and cost of all of the above + application fee.

Is this correct?

Sorry to bud in but I want to apply to as many school as I can. I just want to know if I have about 3-4 people as references, how easy is it to ask them for 5 LORs for each of the schools I want to apply to?

My 4 referees wrote letters for 9 schools and several fellowships. Ask nicely, make it as easy as possible for them, and thank them when they're done.

now as far as the application is concerned, all you have to do is modify a paragraph or two on your SOP to accommodate for all the schools you're applying to, right? Everything else is a matter of sending the LORs, scores, transcripts and cost of all of the above + application fee.

I don't necessarily agree. I found that some schools had very specific prompts for what they wanted out of a personal statement. Some schools wanted a research statement, or even a research plan. Some wanted me to calculate GPA for the last two years of undergraduate study, some wanted a GPA calculated for coursework in the major, one wanted me to calculate a GPA for just STEM coursework... I found each application definitely required more work than just altering a paragraph or two in my personal statement. YMMV :)

Edited by sareth

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies! I'm a little disappointed that a good GRE score won't wipe out my bad GPA, but I kind of expected that. :( Looks like it's time to worry some more.

I guess this just reinforces my need to apply to as many schools as possible. I had been worried about how to get my recommenders to help me with that. Is asking a recommender to do LORs for 8-10 schools too much, or is it as common as I see here?

I think it really depends on your recommenders. And I know, that's not a helpful answer. But let me explain why.

My advisor wants me to go to graduate school. He has said from the first semester I was in undergrad that he would write recommendation letters for me for just about anything I needed (including to be a Resident Assistant). He told me that I should apply where I want to go, where I could be happy, and most importantly I got funding and he would write recommendations for all of those. It will be close to 12 letters since I'm applying to dual degrees which are in two different colleges/schools. He has absolutely no problem with that.

That's why I chose him as well as the other two recommenders because they WANT me to succeed and get into the grad school of my choice. I think that's important part of picking the right people. It's not just about a "strong" letter that says "Why yes, X is a great student." It's the kind of letter that says "You would be an idiot not to admit this person. And here's why..."

Overall, they probably only have to write one letter (unless they are alum or have some connection with the university you're applying to) and just change the name of the university.

As a side note to the GPA - GPA will get you admitted to the graduate school, it's everything else that will get you into the department and the school. What I've learned about ad comms is that they have people who look at things differently. For example, one is only impressed by a stellar SOP or writing sample, another wants numbers (GRE, GPA) and another wants experience.

I hope this helps somewhat!

• 3 weeks later...