Waitlisted

dirkduck

Hey everyone. I just recieved a postal message informing me that I am on a waitlist. The school would likely be my top choice if I do get accepted. On the school, they only accept those that can be fully funded. They are not one of the "top ranked" departments in the field (maybe around #100), but not an unknown either. There were no interviews, so since submitting the application this is the only contact I have had with the school.

According to the letter, I am on the waitlist, but I have no idea how big the list is, or where I am on it (if it is ranked). I am suppose to be notified within a few weeks if I do get an acceptance. My question is, would it be wise to make contact with the program to express my interest (and their status as my top choice)? I feel as though I am slightly rushed, as another program I have been accepted to is requesting a decision in the next few weeks.

If it would be beneficial to contact the program, what would be the best way to approach the topic without coming off as impatient or demanding? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: This is a PhD program, with a fairly small, but not tiny department if that makes any difference.

Not being in your position and not being on any kind of admission committee, I'm hardly an expert but I would go ahead and contact the school, especially if you have other offers. Maybe something like "I've been offered a slot at school XYZ, but you're my first choice. I was wondering if the wait list is ranked and where I am on it while I try to make decisions about grad schools"

Of course, this could be a really bad idea too, but it is what I would try. Good luck!

Not being in your position and not being on any kind of admission committee, I'm hardly an expert but I would go ahead and contact the school, especially if you have other offers. Maybe something like "I've been offered a slot at school XYZ, but you're my first choice. I was wondering if the wait list is ranked and where I am on it while I try to make decisions about grad schools"

Of course, this could be a really bad idea too, but it is what I would try. Good luck!

I think contact is an appropriate thing. You have questions and that's fine. Diana put things well but I will note that it is highly unprofessional to divulge too much about where else you've been accepted. I've seen professor's do the same thing at job interviews, and while that's not grad applications, it still doesn't seem very appropriate in any setting unless you're trying to get something. That's bad juju right there since you know nothing about the wait listing system they have so you really can't barter for anything - you're not playing with the full deck of cards. Not yet. So inquire, but I would offer to say just, "I was recently notified I have been wait listed. This is my top choice school so I am curious to know the specifics of the waitlist; is ranked. is it... (etc-etc)."

I agree with GirlattheHelm; don't say "I got accepted at XYZ," just call and ask about their waitlist and their waitlist policy. There's really no reason they shouldn't tell you if you inquire politely and express your sincere interest in getting off their waitlist and going there.

Graduate schools/departments should expect that you will want to know about the wait list and how it works, so it is certainly fine to ask. Just keep in mind that the wait list may not be ranked and your chances of admission may depend more on who declines the offer than on how many decline.

I also think you should speak with the school that is pressuring you for an answer and ask for an extension. If this is a funded PhD offer, and the school is part of the Council of Graduate Schools, they have agreed to give you until April 15 to give your response. However much they may want an answer sooner, they should not require one before then. You can read more about this resolution, including a list of participating schools at http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201.

I'm on wait lists at two top 5 programs--I wrote emails to both (Chair/DGS/Administrator, depending on who initially contacted me about the wait list) saying that I was honored to be considered so closely, very excited about the possibility of receiving an offer, that I currently had some options I was enthused about, but that their school would be my top choice if I received an offer. I asked for whatever information they could give me about the composition of the list, my place on it, the likelihood of making it off, etc. (without pressuring, said I understood if they couldn't disclose, but just wanted as much information as I could). One told me specifically how many people had been admitted in my particular subfield and how many would have to turn them down in order for me to get an offer; one didn't give any information but said that they appreciated my indication of my strong interest. Can't hurt, right?

Depending on the university and the program the wait list may just be a pile of names that they draw from a hat lottery style (had a friend doing a program that did that...when he realized this his position on the wait list didn't matter he immediately withdrew his name). Some may go by ranking though. You could call and ask how high up you are and what your odds of making it in are...I find that the administrative assistants who are in charge of sending out the letters are usually pretty personable and extra willing to help.