SOP for Speech-Language Pathology: how different are our SOPs from other programs?

Hello all,

I just finished reading Alan Stewart's "How to Write the Perfect Personal Statement" and he wrote that the biggest mistake people make when writing their SOPs is "to write an expository resume of your background and experience."

Taking this advice, I wrote an essay explaining why I'm passionate about this field and did not mention a lot about the SLP classes I took or anything about working with kids and in the hospital. My experience is plentiful, but I was afraid of writing a resume, as the author put it. But today I was looking over some SLP sample SOPs and they ALL mentioned classes, work and volunteer experiences.

So now I'm completely confused as to what I should do: should I write an expository resume or not?

I have been doing some reading on the SOP / Letter of Intent as well, as there are a lot of different ways of doing it. Each university will have their own set of questions or topics you will need to address, so that is one thing to consider. Another is that you may want to contact the program coordinator and start asking questions about the program, how your qualifications match up to what they want in future students, etc. I got a lot of great advice from two department heads at two different university programs that are going to be directly influencing my SOP / LoIntent.

Here is an article I was reading just a little while ago that gives some insight on the style of writing as well as the mental approach to the SOP.

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/stmtpurpose.htm

I got into grad school in 2006 with a good letter of intent ... hopefully I can get into the SLP program next fall with another good letter! It is a bit confusing, with all of the different levels of advice. I'm interested to see what other kinds of responses you get on this topic.

• 1 year later...