SAIS application for Fall 2013

The bolded sentence is why people are attacking him and dismissing his opinions. It's fine and dandy to be a moderate, but for us that have been on these forums for nearly a month his attitude has grown stale and annoying. This is about our freedom of speech to tell him to stfu as it is about his freedom to be annoying. 

Edit:

Forgot to say. I've made my decision to attend SIPA based on several reasons even though I believe that SAIS is an excellent school for those interest in public service. At the same time you don't see me demeaning everyone else that's going to SAIS or HKS, which is precisely what Revolution has been doing since day one. 

Good luck my friend.

Thanks for sharing your standards, A.Banker. BTW, they look pretty ugly...I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

I ended on a self-deprecating banker joke to help you save face.  You instead turned around and claimed that I found blackmail acceptable, which I don't. 

What you are doing is essentially blackmail, BTW.

I'm glad you've received some support on this, but that doesn't change the fact that this looks ugly to most people.

Edited by AvariciousBanker

I ended on a joke to help you save face. Not to suggest that I find your attempt at what basically amounts to blackmail acceptable.

I'll take your sophomoric admonishment and laughable blackmail comment for what they're worth.

Edited by riverguide

I'll take your sophomoric admonishment and laughable blackmail comment for what they're worth.

Why would you post that you are going to call up SAIS and try to trigger their morals clause?   Why wouldn't you just call them and disappear if that's what you wanted to do?

1.) This won't trigger the morals clause.

2.) This could signal that you like to flaunt and abuse power.  That's a big problem for someone going into public policy.

3.) This makes you look ugly.

Trust me.  Find another thread to attack Revolution in, and find a different approach (like maybe just calling him crazy or stupid or wrong.)

I completely agree with everyone who thinks Revolution needs to shut up.  I think this particular approach for getting him to shut up is foolish.  You got into Harvard; you're too smart for this.

His comments today went too far. I found them to be demeaning to many on this board. I have received PMs confirming this. Especially from several of the women on this post. Since he's decided to publicly air them -continuously- in such a demeaning manner, then he should be willing to defend them. Sunshine is a good thing. We all have our own standards of accountability, integrity and justice. 

And hlove, the fact that he's insulting all of us instead of any one of us is a distinction without a difference...but I do appreciate your other points.

And thanks folks for all of your PMs of support.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not one to feel personally insulted by him or anyone bad mouthing a program I'm considering going to. Again so what? As far as I can recall he didn't insult anyone, specifically or generally, personally. He just the stated that the program wasn't worth the cost...in a demeaning manner. Yes I think he comes off as and probably is a misogynistic pig. But I'm not personally insulted that he thinks business school women are the epitome of women-hood that all women should aspire too. Why should I be insulted or care?  

While I agree that people should be accountable for their actions. Words, deeds and opinions are vastly different things. If I think fruit candy is better than chocolate, or milk tea is better than coffee (shout out to all my boba lovers  :D) should I have to defend my reasoning? Isn't that the beauty of an opinion? Normally I wouldn't have tried to defend any of the trite BS that spews from revolutions mouth but free speech is something I hold dear and your threat to call the school just seemed like a petty way to get back at someone for airing opinions you disagreed with...even if you were joking and he is a douche-bag<-----just my opinon. 

The bolded sentence is why people are attacking him and dismissing his opinions. It's fine and dandy to be a moderate, but for us that have been on these forums for nearly a month his attitude has grown stale and annoying. This is about our freedom of speech to tell him to stfu as it is about his freedom to be annoying. 

Agreed, so tell him the stfu, but threaten him?

Obviously, there are some situations in which a person might take things personally and react improperly.  It happens.  The thing to keep in mind is that Revolution is the type of person who gets joy out of trying to demean others anonymously.  I'm sure he's getting a good chuckle, but at the end of the day he deserves more pity than scorn.  It's depressing when someone derives joy from making others feel bad about themselves.

Why would you post that you are going to call up SAIS and try to trigger their morals clause?   Why wouldn't you just call them and disappear if that's what you wanted to do?

1.) This won't trigger the morals clause.

2.) This could signal that you like to flaunt and abuse power.  That's a big problem for someone going into public policy.

3.) This makes you look ugly.

Trust me.  Find another thread to attack Revolution in, and find a different approach (like maybe just calling him crazy or stupid or wrong.)

I completely agree with everyone who thinks Revolution needs to shut up.  I think this particular approach for getting him to shut up is foolish.  You got into Harvard; you're too smart for this.

1) There are a litany of responses it could trigger from an admonishment to a rescission...

2) Two dozen people in 31 pages of posts have asked him to cease and desist. I enjoy the camaraderie. Its not uncommon in public policy to have to confront a problem with the mop and pail.

3)  Its always good to hear from my fans.

It has been pointed out to me in more than one PM that you appeared as a misguided apologist (with a paucity of prior posts and a birth date of March 13) when Revolution started getting flak for his commentary. It has been pointed out to me that some regard you as his alter ego...who knows and who cares? This particular approach has been the only effective one and I'm a results oriented kinda guy...

Edited by riverguide

Sorry to see people are taking Revolution's silly comments so personally. I mean I get it, I have a temper "in real life", but here I find Revolution's comments just so hilarious because they're so sad. And he's basically at least half trolling so I'd say let's just leave the dude alone and laugh at his comments, whether they are for real, completely made up to piss people off, or something in between (which is my guess).

Maybe it's just me but I'm not one to feel personally insulted by him or anyone bad mouthing a program I'm considering going to. Again so what? As far as I can recall he didn't insult anyone, specifically or generally, personally. He just the stated that the program wasn't worth the cost...in a demeaning manner. Yes I think he comes off as and probably is a misogynistic pig. But I'm not personally insulted that he thinks business school women are the epitome of women-hood that all women should aspire too. Why should I be insulted or care?  

While I agree that people should be accountable for their actions. Words, deeds and opinions are vastly different things. If I think fruit candy is better than chocolate, or milk tea is better than coffee (shout out to all my boba lovers  :D) should I have to defend my reasoning? Isn't that the beauty of an opinion? Normally I wouldn't have tried to defend any of the trite BS that spews from revolutions mouth but free speech is something I hold dear and your threat to call the school just seemed like a petty way to get back at someone for airing opinions you disagreed with...even if you were joking and he is a douche-bag<-----just my opinon. 

Agreed, so tell him the stfu, but threaten him?

Unfortunately, none of your cherry-picked comments are those which I find to be malicious or demeaning. We live in a free country that allows free speech. I whole-heartedly support it. I don't know anyone who found the comments you've based your post on to be offensive or demeaning. They weren't any of the ones I've complained about. The right to voice an opinion is absolute, with some qualification. Some of those opinions, however, can legally get you fired or dismissed. Some of his points are very well made. I don't disagree with some of his criticisms. Those aren't the problematic posts. Over two dozen of us have asked him to cease and desist with his unkind colloquy on this post and the Bologna post. But hey, its still Revolution's right to voice them. They can also, legally, result in offers being withdrawn; because we live in a free country and certain privileges and offers don't trigger due process or other constitutional rights, ie, "buyer's remorse." You don't have to be a lawyer to know that any offer can be withdrawn before its accepted...

Edited by riverguide

Sorry to see people are taking Revolution's silly comments so personally. I mean I get it, I have a temper "in real life", but here I find Revolution's comments just so hilarious because they're so sad. And he's basically at least half trolling so I'd say let's just leave the dude alone and laugh at his comments, whether they are for real, completely made up to piss people off, or something in between (which is my guess).

You're a reasonable guy. There are others on the forum who find some of his commentary to be demeaning and disrespectful. They have asked him to stop. He hasn't. After my valentine to him, he has. I welcome his constructive or not so constructive opinions and those of others. There are some which cross the line. I grew up in a family of trial lawyers. Perhaps it was an undue influence on me...

Edited by riverguide

1) There are a litany of responses it could trigger from an admonishment to a rescission...

2) Two dozen people in 31 pages of posts have asked him to cease and desist. I enjoy the camaraderie. Its not uncommon in public policy to have to confront a problem with the mop and pail.

3)  Its always good to hear from my fans.

1.) You really don't know that.  Most likely, it won't.  Inaction is easier than action for these guys, especially when Revolution can likely attract MORE attention after a rescission.

2.) We have this thing called the first amendment.  People are free to say stupid things and other people are free to maybe just walk away.  We also have freedom of association.  However, for JHU to disassociate from Revolution would bring even MORE negative attention on the institution which ultimately accomplishes Revolution's aim.

3.) If you enjoy coming off as ugly, I don't have a problem with that.  Just weird you're going into politics.

It has been pointed out to me in more than one PM that you appeared as a misguided apologist (with a paucity of prior posts and a birth date of March 13) when Revolution started getting flak for his commentary. It has been pointed out to me that some regard you as his alter ego...who knows and who cares? This particular approach has been the only effective one and I'm a results oriented kinda guy...

Would anyone like to lay claim any of these various phantom PMs (on this topic and several others) you keep talking about?  They didn't come from the same... authors... who sent Donald Trump thousands of letters asking him if he is going to run for President, did they?

Look, it's nice that you're taking the bullet for getting Revolution to stop obsessing, but if you're actually interested in politics, going through with this could come back to haunt you. Just make sure you've got a good explanation for all of this some day. If you're going into a career in finance or business, perhaps even law, that's a different story- nobody will care.

You're a reasonable guy. There are others on the forum who find some of his commentary to be demeaning and disrespectful. They have asked him to stop. He hasn't. After my valentine to him, he has...I welcome his opinion and those of others. I grew up in a family of trial lawyers. Perhaps it was an undue influence on me, lol...

Haha fair enough. I've noticed people have been telling Revolution to leave/stop making those kinds of comments for a while now and I don't think that has had any effect. So I'm just trying to be pragmatic and take his comments for what they're worth (and I also truly find them funny because they're so clueless/immature, whether on purpose or not). He can only derail a thread with his silliness if people allow him to. And I don't think he has really insulted anyone directly, he's just made himself look like an idiot. So I'm happy with that. But I get where you're coming from to a degree.

No.  I'm already in grad school, and I'm a big fan of our school's MPP program.  Do you plan to attend SAIS?

My former boss in the senate (who I reported to) went to Princeton for his MPA/IR. He liked it a lot. He was a TA there as well.

Unfortunately, none of your cherry-picked comments are those which I find to be malicious or demeaning. We live in a free country that allows free speech. I whole-heartedly support it. I don't know anyone who found the comments you've based your post on to be offensive or demeaning. They weren't any of the ones I've complained about. The right to voice an opinion is absolute, with some qualification. Some of those opinions, however, can legally get you fired or dismissed. Some of his points are very well made. I don't disagree with some of his criticisms. Those aren't the problematic posts. Over two dozen of us have asked him to cease and desist with his unkind colloquy on this post and the Bologna post. But hey, its still Revolution's right to voice them. They can also, legally, result in offers being withdrawn; because we live in a free country and certain privileges and offers don't trigger due process or other constitutional rights, ie, "buyer's remorse." You don't have to be a lawyer to know that any offer can be withdrawn before its accepted...

*eye roll* Seriously? If you feel his opinions are so bad that you need to pick up the phone and call the school about an unknown poster on a grad school forum board, that's up to you. But I question your scope of what's really important and your tactics for achieving "results" are questionable.

Just for clarification, I never actually quoted anything revolution said and referenced more what I thought was the gist of almost every single one of his posts i.e. business school is amaze balls, all the hot girls go there, you won't have the kind of life style worth having if you don't go. SAIS isn't worth it, it's sucks and while it's reknowned in the IR field it's basically a no named brand else where yadayadayada. The last post you said set you off, was basically all about how his oh so important friends didn't even know what school he'd gotten into and they made fun of him. And that they student profiles he looked at weren't up to his standards.  I mean I read his posts and think how pathetic. 

To bring this topic back to the, well topic at hand. Riverguide, what are you impressions of SAIS so far? Good and bad? I'm going to try to make it out for the open house but it's still up in the air,so I'd appreciate the insight. 

*I get really into debates, over topics large and small but hope no ones taking this personally because it's certainly not meant that way :)  *

Edited by hlove

*eye roll* Seriously? If you feel his opinions are so bad that you need to pick up the phone and call the school about an unknown poster on a grad school forum board, that's up to you. But I question your scope of what's really important and your tactics for achieving "results" are questionable.

Just for clarification, I never actually quoted anything revolution said and referenced more what I thought was the gist of almost every single one of his posts i.e. business school is amaze balls, all the hot girls go there, you won't have the kind of life style worth having if you don't go. SAIS isn't worth it, it's sucks and while it's reknowned in the IR field it's basically a no named brand else where yadayadayada. The last post you said set you off, was basically all about how his oh so important friends didn't even know what school he'd gotten into and they made fun of him. And that they student profiles he looked at weren't up to his standards.  I mean I read his posts and think how pathetic. 

To bring this topic back to the, well topic at hand. Riverguide, what are you impressions of SAIS so far? Good and bad? I'm going to try to make it out for the open house but it's still up in the air,so I'd appreciate the insight. 

*I get really into debates, over topics large and small but hope no ones taking this personally because it's certainly not meant that way :)  *

Always good to hear from my fans! I certainly don't take your comments personally. Now that everyone seems to be over their indignation regarding my valentine to Revolution and the fact that it worked, I'm glad to get back to the point of this forum. Thanks for asking about SAIS and I'll share my impressions with you by PM so that I can speak more candidly. I'm taking a day to reflect and gather my thoughts so that I might present a more thoughtful evaluation.

Edited by riverguide

I'm glad to get back to the point of this forum. Thanks for asking about SAIS and I'll share my impressions with you by PM so that I can speak more candidly. I'm taking a day to reflect and gather my thoughts so that I might present a more thoughtful evaluation.

YES PLEASE.  Looking forward to hear more about your visit and way less squabbling ;)