Northwestern BBC vs Social

stereopticons

I am, apparently, not able to make a decision on my own, so where else should I turn but gradcafe! :)

I am applying to PhD programs again this year, and I am very interested in the program at Northwestern. There are two faculty members there that I would love to work with. One is listed only as a social faculty member, but largely does social neuroscience research (what I'm interested in) and one is listed in both social and brain, behavior and cognition, and also does social neuroscience research. I had originally planned to apply to the social program, so I emailed both POIs asking if they were taking students. The first has not replied. The second replied very positively and indicated that I should apply to the BBC program and list her as my POI. From what I can tell, most of the coursework for both programs is relatively flexible and I could take social courses as a BBC student and neuro courses as a social student, so I am not sure which program would be better for me, since I am interested in working with both faculty members.

Do you guys any suggestions? Information about either program (anything from course work, etc., to competitiveness of applications)? Advice?

Also, how would getting a degree in the BBC program affect my potential career as a social psychologist/neuroscientist?

Edited by stereopticons

Pretty sure I know who you're talking about because I applied with her a few years ago. I had applied to BBC but at the interview she said I could probably decide to end up in either division and work with her regardless. [Edit to add: She seemed really awesome based on my brief contact. JC?]

This is wild speculation but I think your ability to get social psych jobs will more depend on what research you do. That is, you need to do something that social psychologists will find interesting. It's also important to publish (at least a bit) in social psychology journals and have a letter by a social psychologist or two. if you graduate with a paper in JPSP, JESP, or PSPB and have a letter from Bodenhausen or Richeson I don't think it would matter if technically you were in the BBC program. But I'm just a PhD student, I don't know much.

Edited by lewin00

Quant_Liz_Lemon: I could teach in either. I feel more confident in social, but I would enjoy both.

Lewin: Yes, I think it is the same person. Can I PM you about your experience? I'm also interested in working with Bodenhausen and Richeson, though I haven't heard from them if they are taking students. You're probably right about the jobs--it's more about the research, and my research interests are definitely social, I just like to use neuro methods.

Quant_Liz_Lemon: I could teach in either. I feel more confident in social, but I would enjoy both.

Lewin: Yes, I think it is the same person. Can I PM you about your experience? I'm also interested in working with Bodenhausen and Richeson, though I haven't heard from them if they are taking students. You're probably right about the jobs--it's more about the research, and my research interests are definitely social, I just like to use neuro methods.

I PM'ed you. I'm at NU's social program and, well, have insight here.