On which section to put teaching? (CV/Resume)

I know this may sound a silly question, but I'm finishing my grad school applications and wanted an external opinion on this:

I am currently a undergrad Professor of International Economics at the XXXXX School of International Affairs. Should I put this in the Academic Experience section of the CV/Resume or in the Employment section?

Take note that this is not my main job, I have a full time professional job and once a week I impart that class.

What do you think? Thanks on any thoughts.

I have a full time job, but teach part-time, so I actually made two headings: Professional Experience and then Teaching and University Service (where I put teaching and an editor position on an academic journal). So, that's one option.

If it helps to know, in my CV, I didn't separate it by "Employment" and "Academic Experience". Instead, I had a heading for "Research Experience" and one for "Teaching Experience". Under "Research", I included paid stuff (e.g. RAships, paid co-op jobs during undergrad) as well as unpaid stuff (e.g. senior/honours undergrad thesis work or volunteer research stuff). Same for teaching -- that section includes both paid TAships as well as volunteering to teach classes to a youth group, etc. The description of each position do make it clear whether a position is paid or not (or how I was funded), but I thought it made more sense to divide the CV (for grad apps) into types of skills learned (Research vs. Teaching) instead whether or not it was employment or volunteer.

San Jose? What a great city! I was there in 2008 when they had a bunch of cow sculptures around the city. Anyway...

In the description of the job, it will probably be obvious that it is part time, and if you give dates it will be obvious that it is at the same time as your primary job,

I don't know where you're applying, but I have another note about wording -- hopefully others can comment on if my concern is culturally specific:

Here, the title "Professor" is usually reserved for tenured, experienced people with doctorates, while newer professors are "Associate Professor" or "Assistant Professor". The term used for professionals who also teach a class is usually "Adjuct Frofessor". You may want to use this term, as my first thought was, "But why would a professor be applying to grad school?"

Again, just a thought, and others may have other experiences.

Thank you all for your comments.

Putty, of course, that was the Cow Parade ! You should come back. Lots of things to do here :)

Thank you for your comment on the wording. I'll look for a title that won't confuse the AdComm, maybe Assistant Professor which I've seen it used by some people around here. I'll do some more research on that.

If it helps to know, in my CV, I didn't separate it by "Employment" and "Academic Experience". Instead, I had a heading for "Research Experience" and one for "Teaching Experience". Under "Research", I included paid stuff (e.g. RAships, paid co-op jobs during undergrad) as well as unpaid stuff (e.g. senior/honours undergrad thesis work or volunteer research stuff). Same for teaching -- that section includes both paid TAships as well as volunteering to teach classes to a youth group, etc. The description of each position do make it clear whether a position is paid or not (or how I was funded), but I thought it made more sense to divide the CV (for grad apps) into types of skills learned (Research vs. Teaching) instead whether or not it was employment or volunteer.

Thank you.

My experience with academic research is limited. All I've done is the teaching I already mentioned, a TA in 2008 and a RA in 2009. Most of my experience is on the professional sphere. Do you think it would be worth it to make a section only to add those 3 activities?. Even more, the RA was some pretty basic stuff that won't impress anyone.

I was thinking about putting the TA and RA as part of the description of my major, as they were part of that process, and put the teaching experience in Employment, or Academic Experience section. There's where I hit the wall.

Actually, this is how that section of the draft is currently shaped (the caps are information I still have to confirm):

Academic Experience

Professor of International Economics, at "Universidad Internacional de las Américas" (International University of the Americas).

Job responsibilities: Teaching the course "DP-17 International Economics" for the School of International Affairs, with its associated duties. Textbook used: Krugman Paul, Obstfeld, Maurice (2006). International Economics: theory and policy, 7th Edition. Pearson Education, Spain. Salary: ~$XXX.

Licensed Degree on Political Science, at Universidad de Costa Rica. San Pedro, Costa Rica.

From: March-2010; to: May-2013 (expected thesis defense).

Thesis title: "Formulación del TLC CR-China por parte del COMEX en el contexto de apertura de relaciones diplomáticas entre Costa Rica y la República Popular de China (2007-2010)" (Design process of the CR-China Free Trade Agreement by the Ministry of International Trade during the context of the opening of diplomatic relations between Costa Rica and the People's Republic of China).

"Gerencia con Liderazgo" (Management with Leadership) Seminar, at INCAE Business School. Alajuela, Costa Rica.

November, 2011.

Full scholarship awarded by "Casa Presidencial de Costa Rica" (Presidential House of Costa Rica).

International Summer School, at Renmin University of China. Beijing, China.

Full scholarship awarded by "Instituto Confucio, Universidad de Costa Rica" (Confucius Institute at the University of Costa Rica).

Leadership, organizing and action: Leading Change program, at the Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education. San Jose, Costa Rica.

DATE PENDING

Online program. Project: PENDING

BA in Political Science, at Universidad de Costa Rica. San Pedro, Costa Rica.

Teacher Assistant during XXXXXX for the course YYYYYYY. Duties:

Research Assistant during XXXX for YYYYYY. Duties: ZZZZZ

Do you guys think that if I remove the teaching experience from here, and add it to Employment, the section would feel slim?

Edited by alf10087

On second thought, since you have more professional experience, I think you did the right thing by including your teaching stuff with "Academic" rather than "Professional". I guess I don't know what your professional experience is, but if it's not in "academia" (i.e. at schools) then this is a good split.

But, like SeriousSillyPutty, I'd also agree that careful wording would be a good idea. In North America, the ranking goes Assistant Prof -> Associate Prof -> Professor. Assistant Profs generally already have their PhDs and they are "tenure-tracked". After ~5 years (+/- a few years), Assistant Profs undergo Tenure review and they may be granted tenure and promoted to Associate Professor. After many years of service, they are promoted to full Professor.

Some (usually non-research focused) schools will hire people to teach courses and call them "Professors". But in many North American schools, the title is usually "Adjunct", "Instructor", or "Sessional Lecturer".

I'm not sure what you should put down. If your employer hired you as a Professor then you have the right to put that rank down. The dates will make it clear that it's not a permanent position. But I'm just letting you know how most North Americans will see the term.

Finally, I'm not sure if the CV is an appropriate place to list your salary. I'd probably remove it from an academic CV.

I would use "Instructor" rather than "Professor" to describe the teaching you're currently doing, unless "Professor" is what it says on your contract.

Also, typically academic experience is divided so that your education (degrees you've earned) is separate from the paid work you've done.

Thank you Takeruk, I had the salary as the CV instructions on the application ask me for the salary on the professional experience section, and I didn't change it when I moved it. I'll take your advise and remove it.

To avoid confusion or misleading information, I'm just going to find out exactly how I was hired at the university just as rising_star said. In case of any controversy, I have that as backup.

Also, typically academic experience is divided so that your education (degrees you've earned) is separate from the paid work you've done.

For my BSc degree (with co-op work placements), paid research work was a required part of the degree (only paid work could qualify for co-op placements), so I don't think it's necessary to separate paid vs. unpaid work. In addition, my MSc school (maybe because it was Canadian?) paid me an RAship in order to carry out my MSc thesis work. At my current school, TAing is a degree requirement but we are also paid for that (kind of). I was not directly paid to work on my BSc thesis project, but I thought it was just as good a research experience as my co-op placements, so they were all put together.