RPI vs Vanderbilt, which one will you choose?

Hello, everybody. I'm pursuing PhD in ChemE and have just gotten these two offers. Anyone know something about them?

What I know is:

Vanderbilt

good academic reputation, lots of music in Nashville, more to do in around area, more generous with financial aid

RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

higher ranking in ChemE, keeps intimate relationship with many companies, nothing much to do in a small place, 76% students are male.

Thanks for your information!

Hello, everybody. I'm pursuing PhD in ChemE and have just gotten these two offers. Anyone know something about them?

What I know is:

Vanderbilt

good academic reputation, lots of music in Nashville, more to do in around area, more generous with financial aid

higher ranking in ChemE, keeps intimate relationship with many companies, nothing much to do in a small place, 76% students are male.

Thanks for your information!

Go where the money is. Period. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Go where the money is. Period. :)

I don't know about that.... I am facing a similar problem... Vanderbilt with a REALLY generous offer, versus UF, with a much more recognized program and a good offer, but with a smaller city, and maybe less to do...

However, I am right now more inclined to take UF's offer... because of the long term opporunities that could develop from my studies there....

Money could be thinked of as a late benefit... and if RPI has good contact with many companies, maybe the relationships developed there... could be worth much more than the money that Vanderbilt is offering...

I don't know about that.... I am facing a similar problem... Vanderbilt with a REALLY generous offer, versus UF, with a much more recognized program and a good offer, but with a smaller city, and maybe less to do...

However, I am right now more inclined to take UF's offer... because of the long term opporunities that could develop from my studies there....

Money could be thinked of as a late benefit... and if RPI has good contact with many companies, maybe the relationships developed there... could be worth much more than the money that Vanderbilt is offering...

In the long run, what you have to do in a city is not as imporant as the $100,000 you're going to spend to get your PhD. Money is more than a benefit. No professor that I know thinks its a good idea to accrue student loan debt which you won't be able to pay back for many, many years. You can do things that make up for your lack of recognition in a program but you can't make up the student loan debt that you'll take out trying to get a degree that you would be paid to get in any other year. Don't follow the name--follow the money. Period!

In the long run, what you have to do in a city is not as imporant as the $100,000 you're going to spend to get your PhD. Money is more than a benefit. No professor that I know thinks its a good idea to accrue student loan debt which you won't be able to pay back for many, many years. You can do things that make up for your lack of recognition in a program but you can't make up the student loan debt that you'll take out trying to get a degree that you would be paid to get in any other year. Don't follow the name--follow the money. Period!

We'll I agree in that. However in my case, and as I understand in estitanx's case, we have funding in both universities, which means no student loan is required... the decision is whether to live a fancy live in Nashville, TN with a very generous financial offer... or live as a student in a somewhat smaller city, with a much more recognized program....

Vanderbilt

Since Vanderbilt is only offering a "more generous financial aid" I guess, RPI is offering some financial aid, but not as good... (Even when you take into account living expenses)

My opinion is that if RPI is offering some financial aid that is enough to cover your living expenses, as a student, with NO FANCY LIFE at all.. then you should take their offer... If that is not the case, I will have to agree with MDLee, and advice you to take Vanderbilt's offer...

Many thanks to your reply. Actually both institutes give me financial aid. RPI provides 22000/year and Vanderbilt provides 23460/year. I think there is no difference between them regarding the money. The following is my consideration. Admittedly RPI keeps higher ranking in ChemE and have many interesting research projects, but the institute, climate and environment around are less attractive than Vanderbilt. The professors in Vanderbilt are young and dynamic, each advising only about 3 graduate students. This kind of good impression is somewhat influenced by the department and school brochures Vanderbilt mailed to me. Though all of the content in these brochures can be found on its websites, they did give me a different feeling -- they are very thoughtful and take serious regard to me. A few days ago, I have just received my third offer from Gatech. But Vanderbilt has not been excluded from my final choice yet. There are so many factors to be taken into account -- professor, projects, environment, climate, safety, money and my boyfriend's preference(he'll apply for 2010 fall). Being a graduate student is a way of life. So I not only focus on the research, but also on the enjoyment in part time. After all, study is for a better life.

Dear djrg and MDLee, I really appreciate your comments. They make sense to me. Good luck in your application!

We'll I agree in that. However in my case, and as I understand in estitanx's case, we have funding in both universities, which means no student loan is required... the decision is whether to live a fancy live in Nashville, TN with a very generous financial offer... or live as a student in a somewhat smaller city, with a much more recognized program....

Since Vanderbilt is only offering a "more generous financial aid" I guess, RPI is offering some financial aid, but not as good... (Even when you take into account living expenses)

My opinion is that if RPI is offering some financial aid that is enough to cover your living expenses, as a student, with NO FANCY LIFE at all.. then you should take their offer... If that is not the case, I will have to agree with MDLee, and advice you to take Vanderbilt's offer...

• 1 year later...

Both universities looks good we cant differentiate between them. You can choose any of them. One thing i advice you is dont see money because you wont pursue PhD again and again. According to me vanderbilt looks well because it provides extra circular activities along with studies which will helps you in your studies and keeps your mind fresh with which you wont feel over stressed.