Should I Bother Applying?

arglooblaha

Hi Guys - I am looking for some guidance on some harder to get into schools.

My V is 158

My Q is 160

My Writing is 4.5

I have a 3.8 GPA

I know I am applying to UT Austin's Anthro, NYU American Studies, UNC Chapel-Hill Communication Studies and University of Wyoming's American Studies. The question is - will my scores bar me from admission to Brown's American Studies, Berkeley's Rhetoric and Stanford's Anthropology program?

I know for programs like these its more about the compatibility of your project with their available faculty/department/funding, but I was wondering if maybe some of these programs put a lot of emphasis on GRE scores and I shouldn't bother.

Those are good scores, I don't know where people get this idea that you have to have 90th percentile+ to get into good programs. Those scores are 77th and 81st percentile, if you don't get into those programs your GRE scores will have nothing to do with it.

Those are good scores, I don't know where people get this idea that you have to have 90th percentile+ to get into good programs. Those scores are 77th and 81st percentile, if you don't get into those programs your GRE scores will have nothing to do with it.

Yes. This. Also, if you are really concerned, you could call the program's administrator and ask how the applications are reviewed. I was worried that my Lit GRE score might keep me out of a top program, so I talked to the administrator (not the DGS) and she told me that they look at writing samples and SoPs first--scores only come into play at the end, I guess when they are making their final final cuts. So even if your scores are abysmally bad (which they are not), that doesn't mean your app is headed right for the trash bin. Other programs may operate differently, but it made me feel better to know the process.

• 11 months later...

I am applying for an anthropology PhD program at WUSTL and Emory. On their website they do not list a GRE minimum. Does anyone know if there is an unstated minimum in the departments?

If anyone has been accepted or is in either of these programs- would you mind sharing your GRE scores?

I am trying to decide whether or not to retake the GRE.

Thanks in advanced!

If there isn't a minimum on their webpages, then they probably don't have one.  Why would a graduate program have an "unstated" minimum?  They could cut down on a lot of applications if they just stated a minimum on their website, and reduce their own work load.  So if they don't have one on their website, there's a good chance that there is no minimum score.

In fact, Emory anthropology specifically says:

Our program has no absolute standard or minimum for GRE scores, since we consider all parts of the application as a unique constellation. However, low GRE scores often have a negative impact on an application unless complemented by other factors, such as high grades, exceptional letters of recommendation, or special personal background. Students who have trouble with standardized tests are urged to study for the GRE in advance and take the test early enough to ensure the possibility of retaking the exam.

JHU doesn't specify but given that they don't I'm betting they have the same policy.

On the converse, my PhD program in psychology DOES have a soft minimum, and we clearly state it on our website:

This department strongly encourages a combined verbal/quantitative GRE score of at least 1200 to be considered for admission to the program. Applicants who took the GRE after August 1, 2011, and are therefore subject to the *revised scoring system*, are encouraged by our department to score a minimum of 310 on the combined verbal and quantitative GREs.

Departments have nothing to lose and everything to gain by stating a minimum score on their website, so if it was important to them in that sense they would tell you.  Since they don't, it's safe to assume that there is no "unstated minumum."

Edited by juilletmercredi

Please don't post the same question over and over again. Also please stop posting in old threads -- the threads you're posting in are all a year old or more. 

I'm keeping this post only because juilletmercredi has taken the time to post a thoughtful reply. I hope you read it carefully and take it to heart.