talking about research in sop

Graham17

hi all

for programs that ask you to talk about who you want to work with, how do you do it?

how do you weave it throughout sop instead of lump it together at the end?

thoughts or suggestions or comments?

what has worked for you

You typically address the matter of who you want to work with by discussing it in your "fit" paragraph at the end. Of course, there is no rule that it appear at the end of your statement; if there is an organic way to mention it earlier in your statement, this is fine. Keep in mind, though, that admissions committees often read hundreds of applications so wherever in your statement that you discuss your interests and who you want to work with, make sure it's clear and easily identifiable.

As you discuss your prior research experience, you can build in that these cumulative experiences have sparked your interest in studying [area of research interest] in grad school (assuming your prior research experience is related). You can also mention one or two research questions that you are curious about and want to explore in grad school. You can then talk about how Professor Awesome's work on XYZ would be a good fit for your interests because of ABC reasons. You can then say that Professor Okay and Professor Fine's work would also help to [inform, extend, etc.] your work through XYZ reasons. The key is to clearly link your interests with the interests of a primary advisor and a couple more secondary professors.

Best of luck!

LC

You typically address the matter of who you want to work with by discussing it in your "fit" paragraph at the end. Of course, there is no rule that it appear at the end of your statement; if there is an organic way to mention it earlier in your statement, this is fine. Keep in mind, though, that admissions committees often read hundreds of applications so wherever in your statement that you discuss your interests and who you want to work with, make sure it's clear and easily identifiable.

As you discuss your prior research experience, you can build in that these cumulative experiences have sparked your interest in studying [area of research interest] in grad school (assuming your prior research experience is related). You can also mention one or two research questions that you are curious about and want to explore in grad school. You can then talk about how Professor Awesome's work on XYZ would be a good fit for your interests because of ABC reasons. You can then say that Professor Okay and Professor Fine's work would also help to [inform, extend, etc.] your work through XYZ reasons. The key is to clearly link your interests with the interests of a primary advisor and a couple more secondary professors.

Best of luck!

LC

That. I usually heard that a good way to structure it is first talking about what sparked your interest in Psychology, then about previous involvement in research, and then leading to future research. This way, it all flows together.

I am happy to review your statement if you think that will be helpful btw! Feel free to PM me.

how about layout? something like

[a]

(1) intro

(2) research interest[would you talk about prof here]

(3..) paragraph each for experiences

(4) prof interested in/why university

(5)end

or

(1) intro

(2..) paragraph each for experiences

(3) research interest

(4) prof interested in/why university

(5)end

is it bad to mention prof twice? overthinking it? :blink:

Here is how mine is formatted:

1) Intro

2) Research interests

3) Department/professor fit

4) Research experience

5) Conclusion that ties back to the intro/specific university

I personally did not mention the professors twice, but I did mention the university/specific program twice. Hope this helps!

thank you very much!!

any tips on how to modify statement from phd to ma?

also- if you have 1000 word sop but some schools want 500, which part have you cut out?

experience? or 'fit paragraph' they both seem important!

Edited by Graham17

• 4 weeks later...