2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Well - I heard back from Penn State and basically got in there as one of the top applicants there. They had their first meeting on January 15th, and the visiting day will be on Friday, February 15th.

I'm not trying to get too excited about it though since I have a history of being disowned by advisers, so I'm being cautious.....

.....and now I am upset. This was one of my top choices.

First, apologies for not posting my info/stats yet. I'm going to wait until I accept an admissions offer.

I recently received a phone call from UCSD/Scripps, telling me I had been "recommended" for admission and will be invited to the open house. I was also invited (flight+accomodations) to the open house at Rice U. Besides UCSD and Rice, I have applied to (and am waiting to hear from) Caltech, Stanford, UCB, UCSC, Colorado School of Mines, and Princeton. My concentration is geophysics.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone. This is an unbelievably stressful process!

I'll post updates.

Wow.. Caltech sent out decisions already? I was hoping it'd be next week. So no hope for those who haven't heard anything yet? Tear tear...

And I was wondering, how likely is it that someone who got Yale's open house invitation (expenses covered) actually gets admitted? Does everyone get invited just because Yale has interviews or is it really a "likely admit" thing?

Guys,

I'm going to have a skype call with the professor who might be my advisor at Caltech. He didn't give any details, and I don't know what he wants to talk to me about. Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

My prospective advisor wants to have a chat too... He said he wants to talk about CalTech in general and how the program works and some potential projects etc. I was going to read up on his research and prepare a few questions about it + program. I wouldn't stress too much about it - remember you've already been accepted!!!! :)

@rockbender: Yeah, that makes sense. I should probably think a little and have some questions prepared too. Thanks!

@Hvfth: I only heard from the prof I mentioned in my sop. The official emails (mails) haven't been sent out as I understand. It maybe that some profs haven't bothered to send out such un-official confirmations. Don't lose all hope!

Wow.. Caltech sent out decisions already? I was hoping it'd be next week. So no hope for those who haven't heard anything yet? Tear tear...

And I was wondering, how likely is it that someone who got Yale's open house invitation (expenses covered) actually gets admitted? Does everyone get invited just because Yale has interviews or is it really a "likely admit" thing?

Around 2/3 of those who get invited get in. I got invited last year but didn't get in last year (and it was due to research fit/funding issues - there was really only adviser there who I could work with, and he didn't have the funding for the type of project I had in mind). Although I *really* could have tried broadening myself out (which I sadly didn't since last year I was so certain that I was going to go to another school...). 

Hey Mylonite,       Great to hear from you!  ... Your background appears to really good to get into those schools.  ... Is UW-Madison your first choice?  ... I applied there as well.  Also, I contacted Jean Bahr and talked with her at GSA this year.  She seems really nice and has some cool projects in the works.       I haven't anything (positive or negative) from any of the schools that I applied to.  :( ... ... But I will keep you in the loop.     Great meeting you! .. I hope that we get to work together in some capacity in the future.  Cheers!
Hey, Well, I'm hoping to get accepted to Mines with an RA, but I'd also love to go to New Mexico Tech. My third choice would be Madison. If accepted to Wisconsin, I'm mostly hoping to work with Michael Cardiff on numerical groundwater models. Oh, and I'm applying only for MS programs. Also, I heard hydro programs aren't all that competitive. Have you heard this as well?

I'm applying only for MS programs. Also, I heard hydro programs aren't all that competitive. Have you heard this as well?

Mylonite - would you be willing to cite your source on hydro programs not being competitive?  That might be the case for unfunded M.S. programs, but I don't think it's the case for fully-funded Ph.D. programs...

Hey! It's not often you find a fellow hydrogeologist! Is it Wisconsin - Madison you're applying to? If so, who are you hoping to work with there? Any info on when we might find out whether or not we're accepted? Hoping to work with Jean Bahr and/or Michael Cardiff at UW - Madison.

Hey Mylonite,

Yup, I'm applying to UW-Madison and hoping to work with Jean Bahr as well.  I met her at GSA and she seems like a good advisor with several projects in the works. 

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from any of the schools that I applied to.  You? 

Good luck, and I hope to work with you in the future!

Undergrad Institution:  Big State School
Major(s):  B.S. in Geology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 4.2 (A+ = 4.33)
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: Top

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 158 (74%)
V: 162 (89%)
W: 4.0

Research Experience: Summer 2012 research/field assistant  ->  Fall 2012 research project using data from summer (poster presented at 2012 AGU fall meeting)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dept. merit scholarship (top student), nomination for NAGT/USGS internship (top field course student)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: none

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: started as engineering major and switched to geology after 2 years - made this a positive point in my SOP (engineering background)

Special Bonus Points: connections with UT and Rice faculty via undergrad advisor, extra focus on math/physics/GIS/etc. classes beyond major requirements

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: nothing really

Applying to Where:

Rice University - Earth Science Dept. - Process Sedimentology/Geomorphology - RESULT:  Admission + Fellowship offer (Feb 1st campus visit event/reception)
UT- Austin - Jackson School of Geo. - Process Sedimentology/Stratigraphy - RESULT : Admission + Fellowship offer (Not sure on visit yet, got offer today)
Colorado School of Mines - Geology - Process Sedimentology/Stratigraphy - still waiting

Congratulations to all of you whom have been admitted!!!

I haven't heard anything yet.

Minnesota deadline was January 8, Wyoming and Nebraska 15 and Oklahoma and Houston February 1.

Minnesota is the best one all around but probably the one which I feel less excited to get in because it does not match exactly my research interests. I regret not to have applied to Mines instead of Minnesota but a little too late.

Well as soon I know something I will be letting you know guys.

And again, congratulations!!

Edited by RafAkd

Attention to the peoples, who got fellowship offer in UT Austin => From the result section, it seems 3 people got the fellowship offer. Does anyone know, if they send the result only for the people who has been accepted for fellowship, Or for everyone?? Did you guys asked your POI about the result?? Or they just emailed you by themself?? 

Do you guys think, should I ask someone in UT Austin about my application decision?? 

mylonite - I haven't heard anything from CSoM yet.  That is the only school where I didn't call or meet my POI before applying. (I did have a short email correspondence.)

Rizu - From what I understand, fellowship offers for a few highly desirable applicants go out before other admissions offers.  This was likely just a very early round of admissions offers for UT Austin.

Edited by groupxie

Rizu - I agree, I would not worry about your UT status yet. My POI told me awhile back (before the admission offer) that even at the prospective student weekend most attendees will not yet be officially admitted but will be interviewing and that only a few people will already be admitted and have fellowships. Since that weekend is still a month away, I wouldn't think that most admits happen until afterwards (except with special fellowship cases). Hope that helps!

Congrats guys! @mylonite, I think it'll be a while before anyone hears from Mines. I got a mass email a few days ago that said they were beginning to review applications submitted by 12/20, and that the "backlog" won't affect the application review process, whatever that means. I don't know about you, but I didn't turn my application in until mid January.

Hi guys. I'm freaking out here...

It's a good thing I work full time on week days otherwise I would be crazy by now...

I just hope to be accepted by one of the 6 universities I applied to...

Bye!