Public Health Ph.D. Applications Fall 2013

Mazaya

Hi Everyone,

I have submitted almost all my applications for Fall 2013 (Public Health Ph.D.), so I thought I'd start a thread about Public Health applicants. This way we can share application tips and offer support, especially regarding SOPHAS and other logistical issues.

I said above that I was almost finished because Columbia, shockingly enough, have not yet opened their online Graduate Application system! It's October 18th!! If anyone else is frustrated by this, feel free to vent here.

Piece of advice regarding SOPHAS, please apply early, VERY early! They are tragically slow even in the early stages (September/October) when fewer people are likely to submit their applications. Also, ETS has a new score reporting system directly to SOPHAS and I understand that they are still trying to figure it out!

Good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm getting my PhD in public health (sociomedical sciences, specifically) at Columbia.

I find it very odd that the doctoral application wasn't open on 10/18. The due date was December 15 when I applied 5 years ago, and it's probably around the same time. You don't apply for the PhD through SOPHAS, though; you apply through the GSAS application, which is on the GSAS website here: http://gsas.columbia.edu/apply.

Hi Juillet,

Thanks for your reply. Columbia had a very late opening of their system, because they changed it. They launched it on Oct 26 or thereabouts. It's not the one through ApplyYourself, they seem to have their own online system now. Anyway, it's all sorted now with Columbia and all my applications submitted. SOPHAS got their act together as well and corrected a mistake in their score reporting system.

Re Columbia, the Mailman School didn't seem to have professors working on the topics that I was interested in (healthcare economics, focusing on non-communicable diseases and disability in developing countries). So instead I am applying to the PhD program in Sustainable Development through the School of International and Public Affairs, which seemed to be more in-line with my research plans.

Thanks again for replying to my post.

Mazaya.