Contacting professors

loubun85

Did you just start contacting them? I started sending emails the week after all the programs started (I have a spreadsheet with all the info, so I knew when they'd be back on campus) and I heard back quickly from all of them. I've spoken to many on the phone since, but now when I send emails with further questions, the responses are really slow. I think they are getting busier with everything, including inquiries from potential grad students, so things are taking more time. I'd hang in there and wait a while longer. If you give them enough time though, (2 weeks ish?) I don't think it would hurt to resend emails.

I just started contacting professors last week and have only received form-letter-esque responses, despite writing what I believe to be well-written, concise but perceptive emails, using a lot of advice gleaned from successful applicants here. Is it maybe just too late? Have I missed the boat for contacting POI?

I just started contacting professors last week and have only received form-letter-esque responses, despite writing what I believe to be well-written, concise but perceptive emails, using a lot of advice gleaned from successful applicants here. Is it maybe just too late? Have I missed the boat for contacting POI?

I don't think so. Most program's due dates are still two months away, so it would be ridiculous for professors to stop responding to potential student emails this early! Are you both contacting well-known, "fancy" professors who are getting tons and tons of emails from potential students? I have had such good luck with making contact (via email and phone), I can't believe I've just been lucky. Give it some more time, and resend emails after a few weeks, in case the original ones were missed or forgotten. What's the worst that can happen? They are mad that you've sent too many emails? You don't want to work with someone like that anyway. Another route might be to contact the Graduate Chair (or whatever their title may be) of the department with a less-specific email, but be clear who you're thinking of working with. If you can get a response from them with a CC to your POI, that may be the foot in the door, so-to-speak, that you need to get a response.

Another thing I thought of: I ended up speaking with a professor who is on sabbatical this semester, which isn't posted anywhere on the department website. She happens to be working from home and available via email and phone, but it's certainly possible that on sabbatical one wouldn't be. That would also be something you could find out through the Grad Chair.

Edited by Bearcat1