HDS MTS

4minutemile

I just got the packet yesterday. I was very excited to receive a half-tuition grant. I will be attending the admitted student's day, and probably the reception the night before as well (since I'll be driving from Maine). Looking forward to meeting some of you. I still can't get over getting accepted to Harvard! This is really a dream come true. What a program- there are hundreds of classes to choose from just in religious studies, let alone all of the other schools and opportunities!!!!

Congratulations to everyone else who got in!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I was accepted to the Th.M. program at HDS and set up a visit before I got the packet in the mail with the information for the admitted students' day. I'm trying to decide whether to stick with my visit or go on April 7 (I'm very close by so it's easy either way). Sadly, the Th.M. program isn't funded by Harvard, so I'm not sure whether or not I will actually be attending in the fall (I was also accepted to a Ph.D. program, although without full funding), but I am looking forward to visiting the campus and meeting some of the faculty.

Congrats to all those accepted!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Harvard Divinity School now also requires the GRE for all MTS, MDiv and ThM applicants... it seems to me that this is the first year that GRE scores are required of applicants to their master programs (the GRE was optional in the past). I guess they are now at a level at which they can just pick the very best students, even more so than before. This is most likely due to the increased numbers of applicants, and perhaps also to the higher quality of the applicant pool. One might conclude that it really does get harder and harder to get admitted to graduate programs in religion, at least at the top schools.

Harvard Divinity School now also requires the GRE for all MTS, MDiv and ThM applicants... it seems to me that this is the first year that GRE scores are required of applicants to their master programs (the GRE was optional in the past). I guess they are now at a level at which they can just pick the very best students, even more so than before. This is most likely due to the increased numbers of applicants, and perhaps also to the higher quality of the applicant pool. One might conclude that it really does get harder and harder to get admitted to graduate programs in religion, at least at the top schools.

OMG, I can't believe that... there go my chances of getting in. I only had a 1200 GRE score, but the rest of my application would have been great. I've been scouring their website religiously (pun intended) and they must have only just added this. how could they change this so late in the game?

I know this is completely new, but any idea what the GRE expectations would be for admittance to the MTS?

11Q13,

Don't fret yet... remember that a 1200 GRE can mean very different things depending on the distribution of the scores. Religious Studies departments (at least at the PhD level) don't care about your quantitative scores. A 1200 seems low by SAT standards but if its really a 650V/550Q or a 700V/500Q, then with an otherwise strong application, you could be an excellent candidate.

11Q13,

Don't fret yet... remember that a 1200 GRE can mean very different things depending on the distribution of the scores. Religious Studies departments (at least at the PhD level) don't care about your quantitative scores. A 1200 seems low by SAT standards but if its really a 650V/550Q or a 700V/500Q, then with an otherwise strong application, you could be an excellent candidate.

Thanks for the kind words, my score was 480v 720q unfortunately. if I was Paul the Apostle himself I doubt they would get to my statement of purpose to discover it before throwing my app in the trash because of the GRE score. The whole point of the thing is be a first filter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What does one do with a Harvard MTS degree? I know most intend to apply to PhD programs, but say that you don't, or take time off from school after the MTS... what does one do?

I wouldn't go as far to say that most go after a Ph.D. True, there are many, especially those who frequent these forums. But there are also many who enter community organizing and development, environmental advocacy, nonprofit management, public policy, consulting, and the administrative side of higher education.