HDS MTS

4minutemile

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that the economy has pushed people towards a ministerial education? Not just Harvard specifically but apparently div schools and seminaries across the country are seeing application increases. I thought ministry was supposed to be a calling from God, not plan b. (Such thoughts do not extend to the increase in applicants to the MTS/MAR/Th.M programs, which are by nature geared more towards careers in academia and other jobs which do not require ordination)

I don't think increased applications due to the economy are particularly shocking or indicative of "pushing people towards a ministerial education..." Almost all fields saw an increase in applications because of the economy, and I heavily doubt that many people applying as a "plan b" to any field (Not just div schools) are going to make the cut, because they generally would lack the necessary experience/academic qualifications. If many people see enrolling as a "way out"...they won't get that far into the program anyway, before realizing that it isn't what they want to spend the rest of their lives pursuing.

As for the MAR/MTS stuff...I'm just hoping that the increased applicants don't have the necessary qualifications, and that I do. :wink:

Just sent:

"The Harvard Divinity School Admissions Committee is finalizing the process of reviewing applications.

Admissions decisions will be available online beginning at 5:00 PM DST - Friday, March 13, 2009. To learn your decision, please log into your online application at that time.

In addition, a hard copy of the letter will be mailed to the address on file. Admitted students who completed all necessary financial aid paperwork will receive their financial aid award letter in the mailed admissions package.

Thank you for applying to Harvard Divinity School!

Best wishes,

Office of Admissions

Harvard Divinity School"

Does anyone have an accurate list of the top Masters in Religion programs (whether they are MTS, or MA in Religion, etc.). I applied to Harvard, UVA, Claremont Graduate Univ., UC-Santa Barbara and the Graduate Theological Union. It seems to me that Harvard and Claremont have the most resources/ course offerings per term/ and compatibility with my interests (religion and politics/social ethics). Does anyone have any insight?

Is anyone else checking the Harvard site, well, religiously? (pun intended). Even though I know decisions aren't posted until the 13th, I can't help but log in hoping the status will change. *sigh*

It seems people are interested in stats, so here are mine:

3.9 from small liberal arts college

strong recommendations

internships/job experience related to interfaith organizations

Got accepted to: University of Virginia M.A. in Religion and Claremont Graduate University M.A. in Religion so far.

Waiting to hear from: Harvard Divinity, UC- Santa Barbara and GTU.

Is anyone else checking the Harvard site, well, religiously? (pun intended). Even though I know decisions aren't posted until the 13th, I can't help but log in hoping the status will change. *sigh*

Sadly, no. I know from past experience that HDS won't release their information a minute earlier than 5 pm and by no other method than the online application. I'm trying to find other ways (though not more productive) to pass the time, like watching Gilmore Girl reruns and dwelling on the sparse acceptances I have. :)

Congrats to all those who got in to HDS! I'm finishing up my MTS this spring, and it's been a heck of a ride. I remember being ridiculously excited when I got in around this time two years ago. It's a great place with some amazing people. If you have any questions about the Div school or Cambridge or anything, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe I'll meet some of you at the prospective students visit day in April?

Best of luck to you all!

Still haven't heard from Harvard ... Probably a bad sign.... they did say five pm... oh well I am thrilled by the Yale acceptance from this morning...

Congrats on Yale emmyphil! I kinda screamed (scared the crap outta my family lul) when I checked online.

You're the only other M.Div person Ive seen on these boards, do you want to get ordained?

still discerning.... and you?

I was originally on track to be ordained in the free methodist church, but am now in the process of converting to eastern orthodoxy... being a priest is way different than being a pastor, so its a maybe for me.

I could not agree with you more. I think there is a distinct difference between being a pastor and a priest. I am in the early stages of the ordination process for priesthood in the Episcopal church... So do you think you will be at Yale this fall? I am thrilled but nervous about the financial aid situation... I am willing to do whatever needs to be done to make it work... but funding would be a plus... I did not get in to Harvard but Yale was my first choice anyway... :D no need to cry over my second choice....

By the way CONGRATS!!! I still am in a state of shock... I laughed when I read your post... I also scared my family half to death...

Accepted: Yale Divinity School, Duke Divinity, Candler ( Emory's Div School)

Rejected: Harvard Divinity School

I could not agree with you more. I think there is a distinct difference between being a pastor and a priest. I am in the early stages of the ordination process for priesthood in the Episcopal church... So do you think you will be at Yale this fall? I am thrilled but nervous about the financial aid situation... I am willing to do whatever needs to be done to make it work... but funding would be a plus... I did not get in to Harvard but Yale was my first choice anyway... :D no need to cry over my second choice....

By the way CONGRATS!!! I still am in a state of shock... I laughed when I read your post... I also scared my family half to death...

Accepted: Yale Divinity School, Duke Divinity, Candler ( Emory's Div School)

Rejected: Harvard Divinity School

I will almost definately be at Yale, given the peculiarity of my situation, A Methodist school like Duke is no longer a good fit for me (whereas it was the best fit for me before my change of heart). I love New Haven, Financial Aid tends to be generous (average 80% tuition), outstanding faculty, and the Ivy league status never hurt when applying to PhD programs.

Everything makes so much more sense when people understand the huge distinction between pastor and priest. The flood of reformation theology essentially destroyed the notion sacramental authority, and sola scriptura required that each parish leader be able to knock down heresies, The pastor is first and formost a speaker and a scholar, whereas the Priest is a minister in a deeper sense. That was part of the reason I switched actually.

Episcopal eh? I will probably end up in the western rite of Orthodoxy, which means my services will appear very Episcopal, (even though the theology is wayyyy different)

anyone received their real-mail version of acceptance w/funding and visiting day info? i'm trying to plan the trip!

(also, the visiting day is tuesday, april 7, not the 8 as the online version mistakenly said - i checked w/the admissions office)

anyone received their real-mail version of acceptance w/funding and visiting day info? i'm trying to plan the trip!

(also, the visiting day is tuesday, april 7, not the 8 as the online version mistakenly said - i checked w/the admissions office)

First, congratulations on your acceptance! I just received my official letter with financial award (full tuition and fees), but I am local. It also contains info on the visit day (with the correct date). I'm probably going to visiting day, but that all depends on work, unfortunately.